• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba - Occidental Grand - thoughts?

12BNL

Reaction score
Potentially purchasing a timeshare, top floor of Occidental Grand. I'm a timeshare newbie! One time visit to Aruba and loved it, but wondering what resale market is for these types of places on this "happy little island" should I want to put on market in near future, or long term? Tips? Other things to consider?

Thanks!!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This seems to be an all inclusive resort so you might be obligated to take its meal plan. There are so many nice resorts in Aruba. I think you can find a better one. Marriott resorts are very popular.

There are many listings on ebay. Please take a look here.

BTW, how much is the asking price?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Like you, we love Aruba. I'm not familiar with the Occidental Grand, but my general advice it's easier to buy than to sell, so make sure you are buying when/where/size that will be good now and in the future. Of course, you can always trade (either in II or RCI, depending on which system the Occidental trades in) for other locations, but esp. if you envision returning most years to Aruba buy what you'll want to use.

Depending on the resort, it can be hard to sell, and you are obligated to pay MF's until you do. Most importantly- are you looking to buy a unit resale or from the developer? Again- I'm not familiar with the system- but keep in mind that in most cases if you buy from the developer you will be able to sell at only a fraction of the price. Depending on the developer/system, you may be able to buy the identical unit with identical privileges on the resale market for a fraction of the price. Some resales have minor restrictions which may not affect your usage or be of much value to you anyway, so if you are set on the Occidental make sure you know before you buy what the resale market is.

The other thing is- are they all inclusive? Personally, with the abundance of great restaurants in Aruba, I wouldn't buy a mandatory AI.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi again -

I looked up this resort on eBay (no resales listed, just rental) and RedWeek. On RW - there was one 3Bd/3Ba OF penthouse listed (use weeks 18-52) - listed at ~$20K (by a maryalice) - with MFs of $1200 - and not required to have AI.

"This is one of a kind. Its the only one at the resort. Its the Penthouse unit and it is larger than any unit at the resort. It sits on the top floor directly facing the Caribbean. Every room has an ocean view. Absolutely gorgeous. When using this unit you are not required to pay the all inclusive fee. Great opportunity. Priced way below market value for a quick sale. Can be booked any time between weeks 18-50.

Also, Jr. Suite for weeks 2-17 available - $8000- non mandatory AI Also, Two bedroom Oceanfront - avail weeks 2-17 booked for 4/5/14 - non mandatory AI - $19,000"

Hope this helps - this resort apparently has kept good value and appears to be a reasonable rental. Good luck.

arubanut

Reaction score
Run...Stay away.

What turned me off is new timeshare contracts everyone in your party must do AI @$110 per.night each:wall:

The food does not even come close to what we are being served at the Riu.

We have family members that own at Occidental but the AI is optional.

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
12BNL,

I also saw your message in the 'Buying, Renting, Selling' forum here on TUG.
Not sure if you've been back to that spot, but there has been some good advice posted.

(From that thread) No way should you pay the original owner what he/she paid for it, and I highly doubt the resort would buy it back from him/her for that price, if at all. And AI on Aruba with all the excellent dining options would be a deal-killer for me.

It's a good idea to check eBay for more realistic sales prices. Keep in mind, though, for listings on any site, that what people are asking isn't necessarily what they'll get (selling or renting). Quite often, their expectations are totally unrealistic.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So it seems that the old contracts where the AI is option are more valuable than where the AI is mandatory. You will definitely need to check the contract your are looking at and even if it has AI optional you will want to make sure that it does not change when it is sold (reverts to AI only) Also quick research shows that fixed winter weeks are more valuable if that is a time you can travel - which it probably is if you are there now. On Trip Advisor there are complaints from those who called 1 year in advance (to book an option AI room)and there was no availability unless they were willing to "upgrade" to the AI for everyone for the week. If there really is only one 3 br unit and it floats it may be difficult to reserve.

You can't really rely on Redweek prices because they are asking prices and some may be priced too high.

chrisnwillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
With so many lovely timeshares in Aruba, I'd stay away from the Occidental. Go back, and visit them all, on Palm Beach and Eagle Beach. Talk to owners at them and research, research, research.

Starfish1

Reaction score
Run...Stay away.

What turned me off is new timeshare contracts everyone in your party must do AI @$110 per.night each:wall:

The food does not even come close to what we are being served at the Riu.

We have family members that own at Occidental but the AI is optional.

I am an owner at OVC in Aruba

If you are buying in high season, the AI rate for 2014 is $122.00 pp, daily
They do not sell any more timeshare without AI included, so make sure a resale is not affected.

Also, it may be hard to book time if you are buying a floater without AI

Starfish1

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this comment

New rule :

Anyone travelling alone to timeshare at OVC must pay a 30% supplemental charge as a single guest.

My timeshare is in my husbands name only, however i do travel with him.
When purchased, he purchased it alone.
It was never mentioned that should he travel alone , he would have to pay 30% more.

So, keep in mind, if you are a single person , the daily rate will be $122.00 plus 30%

Last edited:

arubanut

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this comment

New rule :

Anyone travelling alone to timeshare at OVC must pay a 30% supplemental charge as a single guest.

My timeshare is in my husbands name only, however i do travel with him.
When purchased, he purchased it alone.
It was never mentioned that should he travel alone , he would have to pay 30% more.

So, keep in mind, if you are a single person , the daily rate will be $122.00 plus 30%

Oh,this just keeps getting better!!!!!!

Occidental turned into ONE BIG SCAM!!!!

Thank god my Aunt and Uncle's contract states AI is optional.

Theousaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh,this just keeps getting better!!!!!!

Occidental turned into ONE BIG SCAM!!!!

Thank god my Aunt and Uncle's contract states AI is optional.
With so many great resorts on Aruba and with so many great restaurants, I would not even consider the Occidental with the mandatory AI. I know a number of people who own there that contend that the food has gone down there since they have a captured audience. I even know folks who were grandfathered before there was mandatory AI and they can never get reservations. I went to Aruba 8 times last year on business and have stayed at over 10 different resorts before I bought. Try Redweek or EBay and experience the various options before you make a decision you'll later regret.

financialguy

Reaction score
Occidental

This may be a little late but I received my bill for 2015 MF and AI. MF up 5% and AI up 13% versus 2014. MF $927 for one BR Deluxe and AI $115.60 per person up from $103.70 from 2014. AI is with a senior discount of 15%. And the food leaves a lot to be desired. Seriously considering selling or abandoning. Given thes types of increases the MF and AI in 5years will be $8,300 for a two week stay. I am not happy!

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Can't say that I blame you. We all love Aruba but the truth is, it's getting more and more expensive every year. Is the Occidental a mandatory AI? I spend 4 weeks per year in Aruba at various TS and my total cost including MF, food, drinks, rental car and airfare is probably around $5,000

tate16t

Reaction score
My Personal Experience

My wife and I also own at OVC and are non all-inclusive members since 2009. Each year it has become increasingly difficult to reserve a room. We have had enough and are ready to take action. The question is, what action can we take? Is there any legal action possible? Or, how can we go about selling?

Thanks