• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Appropriate payment arrangements renting TUG to TUG??

nelsonash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a listing and an interested buyer. Is it appropriate to request PAY PAL deposit for rental fee plus $99 for guest confirmation.....then provide the confirmation to the renter? How does each party get properly protected in these TUG to TUG transactions?

I am new to this process and I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.
John M

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I generally make the reservation, send it to my guest and bill for a non refundable deposit equal to the guest fee. When that is paid I add the guests name to the reservation, send the confirmation to them and bill for the rest of the money.

nelsonash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Ron.

Do you use PAY PAL to collect payment? Is this proper and effective?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Paypal is the online payment system owned and used by ebay - probably the largest in the world. Most people know about it, although you may occasionally get elderly people, or people who are not internet savvy who don't know what Paypal is. (I actually talked to a lady this week who said she did not use the internet, and did not have an email Acct. of any kind.) I use Paypal exclusively because it's fast and safe. I can usually complete a rental in 72 hours.

I do something very similar to Ron's process:

1. Invoice renter (email a Payal Invoice) and collect a $100 non-refundable deposit.

2. Put the official resort confirmation in the renter's name and send it to them.

3. Give renter 48 hours to confirm their reservation with resort.*

4. Invoice renter and collect the final payment which is due and payable: no refunds, cancellations, or changes.

*Only a handful of my rentals are Wyndham, so this works well for me, but with Wyndham it can sometimes take weeks to get the name changes out to the resort, so we usually ask the Central Reservations Rep to expedite the name change out to the front desk at the resort, so the renter can call and verify. Most are willing to do so, but some flat out refuse, just because they can. ;)

Most renters are far more comfortable if they can call and confirm with the resort (or central reservations, for some systems) before they make their final payment. Many renters will call even if it's not part of your suggested rental process, and if the front desk doesn't have the reservation, they can become very nervous - so I try to make sure they have it BEFORE the renter calls.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use paypal.

Most of what I do is Wyndham so I don't suggest that they call the resort except at one resort where they all know me. Instead of calling the resort I suggest we do a conference call to the reservations desk

nelsonash

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....and on this conference call you are ordering and paying for the guest confirmation with the renter on the line.....is that correct?

Then you send the confirmation to the renter?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort here Ron.

john m

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
.....and on this conference call you are ordering and paying for the guest confirmation with the renter on the line.....is that correct?

john m

My guess is that after Ron has sent the guest their confirmation in their name, and they have it in-hand, then he does a conference call with the guest to confirm their reservation with central reservations. It makes more sense to do it that way, than to confirm before the guest even has the reservation. Most guests would prefer to have the confirmation in-hand, when the call is made, so they can verify the info. on the hard copy.

I'm also guessing that Ron has to disclose personal Acct. info. when he pays for the guest confirmation, that he wouldn't want to do with the renter listening.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

john m

no

The reservation is already made, and the guests name added (thats what I used the deposit for) The phone call is so the guest can confirm that the confirmation I sent him is not something I created and printed myself.

.The conversation with Wyndham goes something like this.....after the VC has confirmed Im an owner and has my account up, I say..."I called the resort to confirm that they will be expecting my guest on (date) but they say they dont have the reservation in their system yet. I need to be sure I did this right. You should see a reservation for check in on (date) can you tell me the guests name I have on that? and whats the confirmation number?" .The guest can compare what he hears to whats on the confirm I sent him. ...and Denise, the guest is on the line when I disclose my account info...this trust thing goes both ways.

You should know that I seldom have to do this. The confirmation I send my guest is the Wyndham email that I forward to them. I almost always offer the conference call and thats usually enough to put them at ease. so they pay me. Its only the real skeptics that go through with the call

Ive said this before in other posts. The toughest job I have renting my timeshares is convincing my potential guests that Im for real and not out to steal their money. Its hard for them to trust someone they met on Craigslist. If you are anywhere near my age you remember the 8th grade dance where all the boys were on one side of the gym and all the girls on the other. The music is playing but no one is dancing. I treat my potential renters like the 8th grade dance. First I take a step (I send the confirmation) and then they take a step (they send the $100 deposit) and then I take another step (add their name as guest) and pretty soon we are dancing (they send the rest of the money)

By the way, you said this was a tugger to tugger deal....With people Ive done business with before,or referrals,or tuggers, I seldom go through this process...I have already established my crediblityt...I send my confirmation and bill for the whole thing.I dont add their name until Im paid.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, the guest is on the line when I disclose my account info...this trust thing goes both ways.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one - I would never give a renter access to my personal account info. that they could use to call up as if they were me, and access my account. I don't think that's a matter of "trust," - it's just good security.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree on this one - I would never give a renter access to my personal account info. that they could use to call up as if they were me, and access my account. I don't think that's a matter of "trust," - it's just good security.

perhaps ...but now that I know how you think...I wont be renting to you

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned