• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is this current? Borrowing points from next year.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it that the pool gets full? or that the pool can get empty?

I dont think there is ever a time when you cant deposit to the pool, rather I think it is possible that the pool is empty for a particular time.in which case you cant make a reservation.

Either way it hasnt been a problem for me.

If you read the book on the credit pool the emphasis is on how you can deposit to the pool to extend the life of credits.They say something like,"if you know you wont be using your points next year, use the pool to save them for future years" So if this is all you know about the pool, it would make sense to wait until the last minute to make a deposit, thereby extending the life an additional 2 years. and you would be right to question my approach which is to deposit as early as possible. When I deposit my 2017 points in Jan 2015, I dont extend their life at all.....why does that make sense to me?

What the book doesnt emphasize Is that when you deposit points to the pool they are available for use right now... useful for the op because he doesnt have enough current year points to make a reservation. For me I'm making reservations today, renting them, and banking the money, before I have to make maintenance fee payments From a cash flow perspective its great stuff. The problem will come when I want to sell one of my contracts that has been stripped of points....but I will deal with that later (or my heirs will)

Tow-may-tow, tow-mah-tow... Heh...

Through past discussions on this topic, I've actually learned to do both (mostly from you, Ron!). Accelerate future years to make a big-point reservation (waiting until just before the Standard Reservation window opens of course), or waiting until just prior to the next UY if I don't need to use them early.

This can be boiled down to, "Don't pool until you have to, but do it it before the next use year."

For trivia's sake, this past FEB I pooled all my 2016 points (now expire 2/2017) so I could book a couple of rooms during Christmas 2014, but I left alone all my 2015 points. Why? I need most of those for ARP. I figure I'll be making another deposit in DEC for my planned-to-be-unused 2015 points, which will have a longer expiration (12/2017) than my 2016 points! How's that for convoluted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kev5982

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have even year points, so I have 168,000 to use this year that I just received and I have 2016 points showing on my points status page.

The 2014 points can't be pooled because I'm already in the use year.

So I can use them this year or deposit into RCI or maybe Wyndham will let me pool them since I received them in the middle of the use year.

Can I pool 2016 points now and use them in 2014, and 2015?
I wasn't sure since I have an even use year.

Thanks,

Kevin

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have even year points, so I have 168,000 to use this year that I just received and I have 2016 points showing on my points status page.

The 2014 points can't be pooled because I'm already in the use year.

So I can use them this year or deposit into RCI or maybe Wyndham will let me pool them since I received them in the middle of the use year.

Can I pool 2016 points now and use them in 2014, and 2015?
I wasn't sure since I have an even use year.

Thanks,

Kevin

It sounds like you either have a JUL use year, or you just bought this contract. If the former, Wyndham will definitely not let you pool. If the latter, it can't hurt to ask, but I doubt they will let you do it. If you can't pool, you have those other options you mentioned available to you.

Yes, you can pool your 2016 points so they will be available to you now and through 2015 (EOY doesn't matter). You will only see the current year and up to 2 years out, but you could wait until 12/2015 (if you have a JAN use year) to pool those 2016 points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kev5982

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris,

I just bought the points now and the use year starts in Jan.

Thanks,

Kevin

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron mentioned in January 2015 he will pool his 2017 points
Ron does this in part because (a) he is in a growth mode adding points and (b) he has enough rental business to consume more points than he currently owns. In that situation, he is able to get revenue from points he has not yet "paid for" (you don't have to pay MFs in advance to pool) but won't be points-poor in the future due to newly-acquired contracts.

This works as long as he is in growth mode. I suspect he has thought about what the leveling strategy might be, but I don't think he has shared it with us.

The credit pool will sometimes get "full" across all of Wyndham for a given use year, which can prevent you from making a deposit.
I think it has been years since we've seen the pool run dry---since the VIP pooling windows were extended. While it is theoretically possible, I don't worry about it that much.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
There are two things to remember about the many onerous Wyndham fees.

1: Many of them are easy to avoid with a small amount of planning.
2: In the rare instances you pay one, they add a lot of value to your ownership.

So, it is worth thinking about them, but it is not worth worrying about them. if that makes sense.
Yes it makes sense and the $39 extra per year is certainly worth it.

Yesterday I made a 106K Resie, I borrowed points and housekeeping from next year without a fee.

I then canceled the Resie and made 2 35K deposits in II. I had 77 HK. Credits and used 56 for these two deposits.

When I went to do the third deposit, the system promoted me to buy HK credits for $15.75. It did not give me an option to borrow them from next year.

I called WYN to see if I could borrow HK from next year. I was told I could not. I then requested to pool the rest of my 10/14 points (114K) The agent tried to grill me about my point usage and tried to discourage me from pooling as I admitted I used exchange company as well as direct WYN Resie and I could not use pool points for exchange company (which is true). I did not want to discuss the work around so just told her I REALLY wanted to pool my points.

After pool transaction was completed, she offered to assist me with the last II deposit but I declined as I told her I preferred to take screen shots for all my transactions. I then went back online and made the final 35K II deposit, paying the HK fee.

As stated earlier, transaction credits are by calendar year so I still have one left for the year.
I will pool my 2015 points later in the year and probably make a few short reservations.

Thanks again for everyones help, learning about the pool has greatly enhanced my WYN. Ownership. :hi:

Edit. One of the posters mentioned ARP, this does not affect me as my contract is at WYN Kingsgate, a place that is easy to reserve.

Last edited: