• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Only 1 Shell Vacations Club for Sale on EBay

kpeiper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just saw there is only one listing for SVC on EBay. There used to be dozens listed. Is Wyndham buying them up to resell or fewer people dumping memberships?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Shell is taking them back through the Wyndham Ovation program (Wyndham managed now for a couple of years).

So They take them back from all of the crooked companies who charge the owners $3-5K for "helping" them get out of their contracts. So of course they don't bother to do anything more than call Wyndham.

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell is taking them back through the Wyndham Ovation program (Wyndham managed now for a couple of years).

So They take them back from all of the crooked companies who charge the owners $3-5K for "helping" them get out of their contracts. So of course they don't bother to do anything more than call Wyndham.

I just received my 2017 maintenance fee notice, noting another significant increase. At this point we're travling less frequently and finding nice places on VRBO for significantly less cost. Has there been any thread discussing strategies for dis-engaging from Shell? Thanks for any suggestions or observations you can provide.

-------------Zach Kaplan Fort Collins, CO

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Same thing happened when Marriott started buying back units left and right. The number of owners going to the post card companies likely didn't go down, but the number of Marriott weeks on Ebay certainly did. They just changed their tactic. Take the week back, perhaps even actually transfer ownership to them, then call Marriott to sell the week back to them. SO they made $2000-$3000 from the poor owner, then a few thousand from Marriott by selling it back. At least with the Ovation program, they aren't making any money on that end of the deal like they did with Marriott.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened when Marriott started buying back units left and right. The number of owners going to the post card companies likely didn't go down, but the number of Marriott weeks on Ebay certainly did. They just changed their tactic. Take the week back, perhaps even actually transfer ownership to them, then call Marriott to sell the week back to them. SO they made $2000-$3000 from the poor owner, then a few thousand from Marriott by selling it back. At least with the Ovation program, they aren't making any money on that end of the deal like they did with Marriott.

Sounds like this will be worth following, and we'll hope that more strategies can evolve. We're not in a huge rush, but don't want to saddle our kids with "forever" obligations that, in this information age, are no big bargain. We've enjoyed our SVC accommodations in the past, but SVC is now looking less and less relevant to our needs.

ZK

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sounds like this will be worth following, and we'll hope that more strategies can evolve. We're not in a huge rush, but don't want to saddle our kids with "forever" obligations that, in this information age, are no big bargain. We've enjoyed our SVC accommodations in the past, but SVC is now looking less and less relevant to our needs.

ZK

So what are the fees this next year? I am not home and have not seen the amount yet.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just saw my bill. 23.4 cents per point. Ugh! But it's not a huge increase over last year, so I will survive.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I called yesterday, they are NOT offering Ovation for Shell owners. I wish they were.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what are the fees this next year? I am not home and have not seen the amount yet.

Sorry....thought I'd replied earlier. Just rechecked current invoice and my fees come out to just a shade under $.27/ point. Without the ARDA fee. We have 8300 points.

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called yesterday, they are NOT offering Ovation for Shell owners. I wish they were.
As of one hour ago, Shell is taking back weeks as part of the Ovation program. They will be sending me the paper work to sign over two EOY weeks at Kona Coast Resort.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation

ZK

I would talk to your estate planner. I am not sure your kids would be saddled with anything unless they agreed to take it and ownership gets transferred to them. I think the only thing Shell would be able to do is foreclose on the property and that should not hurt your kids credit. Your state laws may be different then mine, so definitely talk to an estate planner who would know better then I.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

ZK

No one is ever obligated to to inherit an "asset" they don't want.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion....thanks. Will hope that Shell keeps with the "take back" (Ovation) program so that we can disengage at a time of our choosing and not have to die first.

ZK

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
As of one hour ago, Shell is taking back weeks as part of the Ovation program. They will be sending me the paper work to sign over two EOY weeks at Kona Coast Resort.
Are they taking back points only as well as deeded wks.?

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Are they taking back points only as well as deeded wks.?
Just got off the phone & yes they will take back points memembership have started the process

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there costs associated or do you just sign them back over?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Sorry....thought I'd replied earlier. Just rechecked current invoice and my fees come out to just a shade under $.27/ point. Without the ARDA fee. We have 8300 points.

Which club do you own? Just calced mine and got $.24/point. We own 15,500 points in the West club.

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Are there costs associated or do you just sign them back over?
No costs except to get noterized, must be an USA noteiry, so in me case a trip to the US consulate in Toronto will be on the agenda, no big deal as I am making weekly trips to downtown TO. Reason for doing this are A health issue (wife), exchange rate Cdn. vs US $ and the actual cost (0.2671 per point, Americana)+ club fee (II) for 1500 points yearly) vs. other options. Tug membership will be paid back in spades

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and they are taking them back, I actually own 4 contracts and they will take some or all. I have pending exchange with interval and still have points left for this year so I am thinking of giving back 3 of the contracts and keeping one so that hopefully my interval account will not be cancelled and I can retain the remaining points which are less than one contract. I'll let you know how it goes

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on Ovations taking back Shell contracts ... is it the same phone number or a different one for the Shell owners?

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The number they gave me is 866-313-8547..Wyndham owner services

Art

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on Ovations taking back Shell contracts ... is it the same phone number or a different one for the Shell owners?
The number they gave me is 866-313-8547..Wyndham owner services
That is the one. You will get Wyndham messages while you are on "hold," but eventually it will be answered as "Shell."

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would love to give them all back next year. What about current fees due for 2017? Do they expect you to pay the fees before giving the points back.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to give them all back next year. What about current fees due for 2017? Do they expect you to pay the fees before giving the points back.
Cindy

Yes you have to pay the fees while it is processing and you loose any points remaining, reservations would be cancelled and anything in II is also cancelled.

I was hoping that if I kept one contract, any interval activity would be left alone but that is not the case.

I have to weigh the possibilities..... I hate to walk away from 2016 points

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for posting that number. When I called the main Shell number they obviously lied to me and told me there was NO Ovation program for Shell. I called this morning and got through virtually right away and they are taking 2 of my 3 contracts back. The woman told me my internal reservations would be cancelled, but my II exchanges would stand as long as I am keeping a contract.