• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Picking my first timeshare purchase.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
My family needs to take more vacations!

My apologies if this post is too long.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Within a days drive from Southern California, Orange County, so my family can take a weeks vacation and not have to buy airfare if we don’t want to.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? I’d say go to the home resort 1/2 the time. Exchanging for bigger trips every couple years

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Hawaii, Caribbean, tropical resorts, no specific islands, possibly national parks.

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 7 and 3)

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? School schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 4 I guess? I don’t need granite counter tops. Just clean, comfortable units. Most important would be the grounds and fun stuff for kids. Nice pools, game rooms, etc.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? Maybe 2k for the “perfect” situation. But I’m really attracted to the real bargain deals.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? Ideally < $1000 again for the “perfect” situation I could stretch it a little.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

Reading the TUG forums has become my favorite past time since I discovered that timeshares could be purchased so cheaply on the resale market. As a result of all my reading, my top considerations so far in no particular order are ......

The Welk in Escondido. It seems like a nice resort with decent weather in the summer months when most of our vacations would be planned. Warm weather is good because the pools will be a big part of what we do. With the Welk I’m not sure how well it would trade to go to Hawaii in the summer though.

One of the Carlsbad resorts like Grand Pacific Palisades, MarBrisa or the Carlsbad Seapoint. Something like the MarBrisa would be reaching the top end of my budget but it looks pretty nice and is part of the Hilton Grand Vacation system.

Do something like the Grandview in Vegas taking advantage of RCI points or SDO in Scottsdale taking advantage of II and its trading power to go to Hawaii, Caribbean, etc in the summer occasionally. Both are within a days drive so they could still be used as a drivable vacation destination.

The Wyndham Grand Desert and be a part of the Wyndham system which seems to be a little lighter on the wallet than Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood but still has locations Hawaii, etc.

I’ve read Worldmark is recommended a lot to west coast travelers. Their MF’s are very reasonable, and it has a great reputation as a solid trader, but in the research I’ve done online not many of the resorts within a days drive seem very interesting to me. Indio seems like the most interesting resort but my wife is from Palm Springs so convincing her to vacation in Indio isn’t going to happen. If I was closer to the Oregon coast I’d be all over Worldmark. Maybe my impression about the Worldmark resorts by me is wrong. I’ve never actually been to one. I’m attracted to the nice pool areas and stuff and I’m not seeing a lot of that with Worldmark in california.

You all have a terrific community here and have taught me a lot already.

Thank You,

Brian

:wave: Brian Welcome!!! I am one that believes that owning a bunch of points at the Grandview in Las Vegas makes sense to me..... I will have over 180000RCI Points a year and right now pay around $1000.00 MFs BUT getting the Grandview does come at a cost my last one that I got 120000 points I paid $2800 for.... but then they covered ALL the expenses.... so its a crap shoot... last night I saw one that was 98000RCI points that went for 1164.99
with that one you would be paying 699.00 MFs right now and THAT is a good price but also as you understand the MFS will go up.... and every year you will have to pay the RCI fees.... Good luck.... by the way I have NEVER stayed in any of the timeshares that I have owned.... always used them for traders..... Dave :banana:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy my Wyndham for it's flexibility and the number of resorts it holds in Hawaii as well as California.

It's also cheap, offers the most flexibility out of all my timeshares and allows me to pay the maintenance fees monthly.

I think if you are plan on trading going with a Points based system like Wyndham offers you the following:

(1) Many resorts within network so you don't have to pay additional trading fees

(2) The ability to downsize or upsize even if you don't have the alloted number of points because you can 'rent' additional points if you like

(3) With 200+ resorts within network you won't have to worry about availability if you book in a reasonable timeframe.

(4) You don't have to pay out of pocket to be a member of RCI. It's included in your Wyndham mf

(5) When you do trade to RCI (only after finding you don't have availability or location in Wyndham) you get high trade values that can get you to the Carribean, Hawaii, Greece, Disneyworld resorts and other places *I know this for sure because I was able to book these locations as a Wyndham owner

I also own Sheraton Vistana - which I love because I can transfer it for the Westin in Maui (the one place where Wyndham doesn't have many resorts).

In addition consider resorts that have Day Use: meaning as a member you get a week to use for timeshare - but you can also go there daily to use the amenities. We have this with one of our other resorts and it's really nice.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own Sheraton Vistana - which I love because I can transfer it for the Westin in Maui (the one place where Wyndham doesn't have many resorts).

Fwiw, Wyndham also has exactly ZERO resorts anywhere in the entirety of coastal SW Florida...

Last edited: