• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question re VV 2br for 8k

4rnr

Reaction score
It has 81 staroptions. Should I bite or should I wait? :confused:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
67.1K SOs at VV recently went for ~$4300 - wait

current VV bid on eBay (11 days to go) - 67.1K SOs - $2625

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
In my opinion, 81K Staroption resales will yield a higher price per option because the options seem to go much further when it comes to making reservations. I have been watching VV resales on and off during the past couple of years. I saw one go for $7101 and some at $8100. Just recently, one on ebay had a buy it now price of $8495 or something close to that, and it was taken.

Since Starwood doesn't appear to be allowing resale Staroptions to be combined with other resale or developer Staroptions, buyers need to make sure of what their strategy is when buying. If you are buying so that you can then get it requalified with a developer purchase, then it doesn't matter. If you are buying and hope to combine it with another resale, then that currently isn't being allowed.

In June, I called up a broker who had a listing...it was listed at $6900 by mistake. She said that it should have been listed at $8900 but someone made a mistake and it was sold in 10 minutes. So I don't think that $8K is that far off the mark, but given that MFs are due in January, you may find some bargains out there. Going strictly on the price per option on the most recent 67.1K sale, you'd be looking to find a 81K at $5190, which I have never seen! I just don't think they will go that low, but that's just my opinion.

Is this one a lockoff high season or regular 2 bedroom prime? MFs are slightly higher for the lockoff.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I agree in part - it is important to 'bucket' the SOs to meet your need - and 81K SOs gives better exchanging potential - but be sure it meets your needs if your intent to use for exchange. I also think that with the MFs coming due - you will find 81K SOs at VV for less - maybe not the same SO/$ cost as the 67.1K bucket, but still less.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree, too. You may be able to find something closer to 7K. Can you offer less on this one you found? It also depends on if it has the current year occupancy (with a week reserved already for 2006) and MFs due, or if it is for 2007.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
blujahz said:
67.1K SOs at VV recently went for ~$4300 - wait

current VV bid on eBay (11 days to go) - 67.1K SOs - $2625

FYI, that current ebay listing is for an EOY, not EY, if it makes a difference. At the current price, it would make it $5250 if we just doubled the price for EY, for example. Sometimes EOYs are more because they are EOY. Other times, they are "worth" 50% of an EY to some buyers.

4rnr

Reaction score
deniselew said:
I agree, too. You may be able to find something closer to 7K. Can you offer less on this one you found? It also depends on if it has the current year occupancy (with a week reserved already for 2006) and MFs due, or if it is for 2007.
8k is the lowest the seller would go for. Occupancy year starts in 2007. It's a standard 2 br prime, not a lockoff. I think it's a good price, but not great. I would really like to find something in the $6500 range and nothing less than 81k sos.

Btw,thanks for your input guys. And let me know if you see/find anything interesting ...

Bill4728

Reaction score
Sometimes we forget that Starwood wants between $15K - $20K for the same unit. Yes, it great to get the lowest price you can, but don't knock yourself out trying to save an extra $500 - $1000. You're already saving $7k-$12K.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
yes - I saw that. I must say of all the Sheraton/Westin weeks on eBay - VV seems to be the worst in regards to misinform and bad info.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
4rnr said:
8k is the lowest the seller would go for. Occupancy year starts in 2007. It's a standard 2 br prime, not a lockoff. I think it's a good price, but not great. I would really like to find something in the $6500 range and nothing less than 81k sos.

Btw,thanks for your input guys. And let me know if you see/find anything interesting ...

Just to offer a different opinion, I think thats not just a good price, but a great price. If it was a L/O unit than it would only be a fair price because of the higher MF. But, because it is a standard 2 bedroom unit it has the highest staroptions to MF ratio that VV has to offer and 81K staroptions is enough to really enjoy the starwood system. In fact, 81K is about the most flexible number to have. 148K will allow booking a 2 bedroom unit in Maui, but those units are hard to come by even within the SVO system, and the MFs are significantly higher. 81K units will just about get you any other unit within the starwood system depending on the season. I think it is worth paying a little more to get 81K staroptions instead of the 67.1K. ;) IMHO Ben

vic714

TUG Member
Reaction score
4rnr said:
8k is the lowest the seller would go for.

8k is a VERY reasonable price. When I bought my 2 weeks there ( 2br units w/81k staroptions ) the cost was over $38,000 which works out to $19,000 per week. The seller is already giving you a GREAT deal.

JMHO

Victor

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just updated my post #3 to reflect the last price I saw an 81K go for was $8495, not $8250 (I found the info in an old TUG thread).

I also posted somewhere recently that the last I heard, two bedrooms were $17.2K to $22.9K, depending on the season.

So I still think that $8K is not far off the mark. A broker would sell it for closer to $9K, I think and there are some listings out there for a lot more. As long as you aren't in a hurry and are just browsing, it could be fun :p . It made me anxious to watch ebay auctions and want to bid, especially that one that ended at $7101 a year or so ago.

I'm sure if there is an interesting ebay auction, you'll read about it here. That seems to be the place to get them at the lowest price.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What? You can't combine purchases?

If I'm reading the posts above correctly then it sounds like Starwood won't let owners (OWNERS) that are resale buyers combine two purchases of points into one acccount? And to do so you have to buy more reatail priced points? If that is the case I would never buy into such a system. That is a classic case of screwing the resale buyer and seller and devaluing the product.

Stay away from any group that would do that type of game. There are plenty of good systems that are above board in their dealings (at least overall - they all seem to have at least a small area of shafting the owner/resale buyer/seller). In this case they are messing with the basic purchase and rights to use the points you own. That is unacceptable. Walk away.

4rnr

Reaction score
reddiablosv said:
Just to offer a different opinion, I think thats not just a good price, but a great price. If it was a L/O unit than it would only be a fair price because of the higher MF. But, because it is a standard 2 bedroom unit it has the highest staroptions to MF ratio that VV has to offer and 81K staroptions is enough to really enjoy the starwood system. In fact, 81K is about the most flexible number to have. 148K will allow booking a 2 bedroom unit in Maui, but those units are hard to come by even within the SVO system, and the MFs are significantly higher. 81K units will just about get you any other unit within the starwood system depending on the season. I think it is worth paying a little more to get 81K staroptions instead of the 67.1K. ;) IMHO Ben
You're right, I now think 8k is indeed a great price. I mean I'd like to get it for lower than that but who knows .... Btw, it is deeded to Platinium season either week 8 or 9, we'll only be able to use it during summer weeks, do you think there will be a problem booking for late June or July? And do they increase their MF annually? If so, by how much?

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
4rnr said:
You're right, I now think 8k is indeed a great price. I mean I'd like to get it for lower than that but who knows .... Btw, it is deeded to Platinium season either week 8 or 9, we'll only be able to use it during summer weeks, do you think there will be a problem booking for late June or July? And do they increase their MF annually? If so, by how much?

So if it is a true 2 bedroom prime, it should be good for weeks 7-17, 23-34, 51-52, shouldn't it? Is it truly fixed for one of those weeks, or is that just what is written on the deed for inventory purposes?

4rnr

Reaction score
deniselew said:
So if it is a true 2 bedroom prime, it should be good for weeks 7-17, 23-34, 51-52, shouldn't it? Is it truly fixed for one of those weeks, or is that just what is written on the deed for inventory purposes?
I think it's only for deeding purposes. I was told VV weeks float.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Calling at 12 months out during your home reservation period should not be a problem for summer, but maybe some VV owners with some experience can answer that question. SVN opens at 8:00 AM Eastern for reservations. I imagine it would be like most of the other resorts during the busy times, you just need to book 12 months out.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
timeos2 said:
If I'm reading the posts above correctly then it sounds like Starwood won't let owners (OWNERS) that are resale buyers combine two purchases of points into one acccount? And to do so you have to buy more reatail priced points?

This has been reported recently as correct. In the not so distant past (2005), they were allowing resales to be combined with other resale or developer Staroptions. It was just mentioned here in some threads that owners are trying to make reservations and finding out that it is no longer being allowed. I'm not sure what Starwood is thinking, but I wish that they would use their ROFR power and start bringing the values of the properties back up to where they should be. Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and Disney do this with great success, making owners and resale owners happy campers.

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
4rnr said:

I just closed on a week 10 this past July and called on August 24th to reserve time for next year. I got a reservation for a 2bd room June 30 - July 7, 2007 no problem. I too think 8k is a good price, tho I must admit I bought mine on ebay for 6500 using buy it now with-in 10 minutes of it beng listed. 81000 staroptions.

bigbillf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Larry,

I am thinking about buying resale at VV. Did you go ahead and join SVN? I was wondering what you have to go through to get signed up when you buy resale at VV, a mandatory resort. Do you just have to call owner services at SVN? I know about the $99 annual fees for belonging to SVO, but is there an entrance fee? I am hearing that there is a $599 initiation fee?

Bill F.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It has been mentioned here on the boards that there is no fee to join, just the annual dues of $99. Any ebay listings that are claiming that there is a fee are incorrect.

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
bigbillf said:
Larry,

I am thinking about buying resale at VV. Did you go ahead and join SVN? I was wondering what you have to go through to get signed up when you buy resale at VV, a mandatory resort. Do you just have to call owner services at SVN? I know about the $99 annual fees for belonging to SVO, but is there an entrance fee? I am hearing that there is a $599 initiation fee?

Bill F.

Hi Bill,

Deniselew is correct, there was no additional fee. I believe the $ 599 people refer to was for owners of the original Vistana to join either SVN or RCI points when Sheraton took over. As a mandatory resort, you are automaticlly part of the SVN whether you want to be or not(why anyone would refuse ?), for staroptions, starpoints do not transfer.

armlem2

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:

The above weeks 7-17,23-34,51-52 are platinum/prime for VV and 6-17,23-34,39-47,51-52 for VV (Key West and Future). I believe like other Starwood resorts, you can book 12 mths ahead in season and 8 mths out of season with all weeks floating with-in their respective season.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
armlem2 said:
I just closed on a week 10 this past July and called on August 24th to reserve time for next year. I got a reservation for a 2bd room June 30 - July 7, 2007 no problem. I too think 8k is a good price, tho I must admit I bought mine on ebay for 6500 using buy it now with-in 10 minutes of it beng listed. 81000 staroptions.

But, was it a L/O with the higher MF or the standard two bedroom that we are discussing here? Ben:)