• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John on ebay

mjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Developers price is about $40,000, so not a bad price. I was interested in this auction also, but was also following Perrys thread on renting instead of buying. I contacted several people renting this property, and found one for $700 over maintenance fees. $20,000 didnt seem like such a good deal. How long would it take to break even if I continue to rent--a long time.
Mark

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
mjs said:
Developers price is about $40,000, so not a bad price. I was interested in this auction also, but was also following Perrys thread on renting instead of buying. I contacted several people renting this property, and found one for $700 over maintenance fees. $20,000 didnt seem like such a good deal. How long would it take to break even if I continue to rent--a long time.
Mark
Hi Tuggers -

That was me who won the ebay bid on this Westin St. John TS! (woohoo!) Obviously, I believe $18.6K is an excellent price or I would have made the bid - this bid was actually my maximum bid. I was actually surprised I won the bid. I thought it would go for over $20K.

I also read Perry's thread - and while I agree to a good portion of it - there are aspects that I disagree with (I will not go into here - this is one of those never-ending discussions about renting vs. TS owning).

We are not in it for the money - and for people like us - live in the SF Bay Area - $18.6K is not a lot of money. I just want to be able to either go (we love that area) , rent it to offset MFs and loss of investment interest within reason (which we will likely have to do for 2006), or exchange it for a Hawaii TS (eg. WKORV). This would likely be a personal exchange since this week (week 24) is only worth 67K StarOptions - but I believe it is doable (guess we will find out).

This price of $18.6K is the same as the going rate for the 1Bd and studios for this season (weeks 21-42) - where we get a 2Bd/2.5Ba Townhouse for the same price (yes, MFs are higher). Also, from my understanding, week 24 is a low hurricane risk, but one never knows. if it were mid-July thru mid-October - I would have passed.

Als, since it is mid-June - I would think there are a lot of Honeymooners, and others with school kids that would be willing to rent this TS. Again, we shall see...

It will be interesting to see how this pans out with the closing via Resort Closings, Inc. and the seller (who has some bad eBay ratings). I will keep TUG up-to-date on this resale via eBay through this seller/title company.

I am interested in any input that one would like to share (pros/cons) - beyond the rent vs. own discussion. I have found TUG to be a great board with great people, and have gotten great input and advice. We have also just recently bought an Deluxe OF WKORV LO unit for ALOT more than this unit.

Peace.

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
what is it??

please identify what WKORV stands for. thanks, in advance.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
kmij said:
please identify what WKORV stands for. thanks, in advance.

Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (Maui)

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Robin,

Congratulations on your purchase. I was following that also, but just out of curiousity. We won't be buying any more timeshares until we sell something and I really like those we have.

You may want to consider joining the exchange board for Starwood Owners. You may be able to trade your new St. John for Maui more easily there. Here's a thread with all the info including how to sign up (message #11)

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12401

rja

Reaction score
Figures that the winner would be a tugger! I was lurking around the auction as well, hoping to snipe it under $15k!

I was a bit put off by the low staroptions, i thought it would be higher, but even at $18k, it's still a great deal IMHO.

Congrats on your buy!

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Holiday group recently had a listing for a week 21 that tempted me- a studio they were asking $11 for. It sat for awhile so I hope whoever got it put in a lower offer. I watched it every day!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
baz48 said:
Robin,

Congratulations on your purchase. I was following that also, but just out of curiousity. We won't be buying any more timeshares until we sell something and I really like those we have.

You may want to consider joining the exchange board for Starwood Owners. You may be able to trade your new St. John for Maui more easily there. Here's a thread with all the info including how to sign up (message #11)

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12401
Thanks everyone - tuggers are great.

WKORV - answered above (sorry, I get so used to using that acroymn).

I originally was putting a $15K max, but when I realized it was going over - I put in the $18.6K max - and amazingly it hit right when the auction ended. The seller gave some misinformation (on the beach, no StarOptions...), but later clarified when called on it. That worries me somewhat - so I will proceed with caution.

I have seen the exchange thread and will need to reread - I recall that it was closed to WKORV exchanges due to amount of them - now that I may be a WSJ owner (is that the correct acronym?) - maybe I can get in.

As of right now (if it goes thru) - I am willing to exchange my week 24 WSY 2Ba/2,5Ba Townhouse for a 1Bd/1 Ba OF (deluxe or premium layout) at WKORV at the end of Nov/start of Dec straight up.

Anyone else with comments/ideas - please feel free to chime in - pro or con.
I would love to hear from WSJ owners.

DeniseM (if you are reading this) - I read your concerns about St John. I had a similar worry about St Vincent and the Grenadines when I was there in 1997 (murdered boat taxi by 2 US citizens - never brought to justice - shame). Turns out there was zero hostility towards Americans, and we had a fantastic time with the warm/wonderful (yet very economically poor) people of the Grenadines.

reddiablosv

TUG Member
Reaction score
blujahz said:
Thanks everyone - tuggers are great.

WKORV - answered above (sorry, I get so used to using that acroymn).

I originally was putting a $15K max, but when I realized it was going over - I put in the $18.6K max - and amazingly it hit right when the auction ended. The seller gave some misinformation (on the beach, no StarOptions...), but later clarified when called on it. That worries me somewhat - so I will proceed with caution.

I have seen the exchange thread and will need to reread - I recall that it was closed to WKORV exchanges due to amount of them - now that I may be a WSJ owner (is that the correct acronym?) - maybe I can get in.

As of right now (if it goes thru) - I am willing to exchange my week 24 WSY 2Ba/2,5Ba Townhouse for a 1Bd/1 Ba OF (deluxe or premium layout) at WKORV at the end of Nov/start of Dec straight up.

Anyone else with comments/ideas - please feel free to chime in - pro or con.
I would love to hear from WSJ owners.

DeniseM (if you are reading this) - I read your concerns about St John. I had a similar worry about St Vincent and the Grenadines when I was there in 1997 (murdered boat taxi by 2 US citizens - never brought to justice - shame). Turns out there was zero hostility towards Americans, and we had a fantastic time with the warm/wonderful (yet very economically poor) people of the Grenadines.

Hi Congradulations on your purchase. I think you will be happy with the deal you made and as long as you make direct exchanges you should do alright. I am a starwood owner and have a VV unit worth 81K staroptions. But, I would trade you straight up in a heart beat. Personally, I think starwood undervalues their St john summer units. Unfortunately for you that means that for you to get your value in trades you are going to have to work a little harder with direct exchanges.. Ben

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks, I hope that is the case - not looking for trades (yet) - planning on going next cople of years - I love that area. So far the eBay seller (GoTimeshare) and Resort Closings has followed through on their promises. But I am getting TI (for xtra $) since it is the USVI. Nobody has yet to give really bad issues with GV or RC.

I agree WSJ weeks in early summer are low SO-wise. I checked, and there has not even been a tropical storm/depression in mid-June in the last 50 years (didn't go back further), but you never know. Storm season really goes from mid-July to mid-October. Plus, school is out and it is honeymoon season.

If we exchange - it will definately via personal exchange (or II?). Or rent to at least cover the MFs plus some cost. There is a very nice/helpful tugger currently renting a week 24 2Bd/2.5Ba TH for like $2600 (a real bargin imo) - I may end up renting it if it is still available in 45 days (or so) - depends on my closing and a few other details - to have family/friends there at the same time.

chrisobb

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Resort on Cocoa Beach, Wyndham
I think you made a great purchase. I am one of those people that love the resort and would rent at that time of the year because of kids.

Good Luck

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

JillChang

Reaction score
mjs said:
Mark

Hi Mark,

Can you tell me the website where I can find this resort for rent? I am interested in renting it for my honeymoon next year and want to start my research.

Jill

mjs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jill,
try redweek, and myresortnetwork, and make offers.
Mark

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
JillChang said:
Hi Mark,

Can you tell me the website where I can find this resort for rent? I am interested in renting it for my honeymoon next year and want to start my research.

Jill

Also try the TUG rent board. One problem is that owners have not reserved their units yet in 2007 if further than 10-12 months out. You may need to wait until 10-12 months from your Honeymoon to find owners that want to rent, unless you can get in contact with WSJ owners directly. Also, remember that the WSJ TS villas are not the same as the WSJ Hotel in that they are self-contained and do not come with the same services that the Hotel would supply - that can be good or bad depending how you wish to spend your Honeymoon. (congrats)

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do have room service to those villas on the hill. My wife and I had coffee, tea and bagles delivered every morning for breakfast on the balcony over looking the bay!! What a way to start the day!

I miss St. John, can't wait to go back in 2007!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You are correct - I should have stated differently. What I was trying to get across was that there are some differences in the services, and level of service, between the two. Again, be aware that going into a TS villa is not entirely the same as the hotel part.

I have read reviews on WSJ where people were upset that they were not getting the services they expected when staying in the villas - when they were comparing them to a stay in a Westin hotel. Personally, I like the villa lifestyle, but other people are more service oriented. They were dinging WSJ based on their expectations to be waited on 'hand+foot', or that they had to wait for the shuttle to take them up the hill.

I stayed in the Tokyo Westin where someones job would be to immediately buff out the shoe prints left on the marble floor when you walked on them.

JillChang

Reaction score
There are times I love to be waited on, but in this case, villas seems better than hotel :p

I love to be served in a restaurant, but I prefer privacy in my hotel room or TS. I don't particularly care for room service, the setting and the location and furnishing of the room are more important.

If I want to be waited on, I will go to a luxury cruise where I literary don't have to do anything, but little privacy.

I will start to look for a Westing St. John rental starting this summer. :)

rja

Reaction score
There's another 2 bedroom on ebay, isn't it the same reseller with the same-looking unit / week? Did the sale fall through?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The sale of the unit I am purchasing is still on. This appears to be the same reseller, or someone just copied the previous ad - most likely same reseller (different eBay ID). I assume this sale is for a different week/unit (better be...) - actually, I am paying extra for Title Insurance because I want protection since they insist on using Resort Closings. If you have questions - you should ask the seller. I'd be interested in what they say.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
JillChang said:
There are times I love to be waited on, but in this case, villas seems better than hotel :p

I love to be served in a restaurant, but I prefer privacy in my hotel room or TS. I don't particularly care for room service, the setting and the location and furnishing of the room are more important.

If I want to be waited on, I will go to a luxury cruise where I literary don't have to do anything, but little privacy.

I will start to look for a Westing St. John rental starting this summer. :)
You shouldnt have a problem - I would assume that you would want a 1Bd premium (2 story unit) unless you are going with others.

Also, check out the USVI website - VINOW - lots of great info. A very large message board.

JillChang

Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Jill -

Yes, I was watching - of course. Expensive is a relative term, since (from my understanding) this is half of what the Developer sold them for (and current sales price?). I wonder if the buyer will find TUG? Sure glad it went for more than the one we bought a few weeks ago (vs. what happened with the WKORV Deluxe OF that went unsold at 50K - when we paid 5K more that that!) - plus this is a week 40 (within the float season wk21-42) - this is the peak hurricane season. Also, there is one listed on TUG for 20K (also week 40).

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was bidding on the unit, but was not the high bidder. I stopped at $15,000. My user Id has has a zero feedback, haven't used e-bay for a few years and needed a new Id. That unit was deeded week 37. I would have bid higher if it was earlier in the season and not smack in the middle of September!

Still looking for my piece of St John!

It will happen......

It will happen!