• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Ko Olina Preview Canceled

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I recieved an e mail offering a 5 night stay at KoOlina with 10,000 aa miles and a rental car for 699 I upgraded it to a 1 bed for an additional 100
I confirmed March 12-17 as I am using a marriott cat 6 hotel cert for the 17-24 on the big island. Now here is my problem, I set up the 12 days of lodging. Then I got my air through AA flying from des moines into hnl on the March 12Then flying aloha air from hnl to koa on March 17, then aa from koa to dsm on march 24. Now today I get a call from marriott stating that I took the KoOlina tour back in March of 06. The rep asked me If I had taken a tour in the last year and I stated no. I told him the last tour I had taken was back on March 06. He said no problem. Well I just purchased a hilton property and hope that after it closes I can get the Hawaiian Villiage for those dates. I think this is a very poor decision on Marriotts part. Any ideas on any recourse I may have.
Thanks, Rod

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week I recieved an e mail offering a 5 night stay at KoOlina with 10,000 aa miles and a rental car for 699 I upgraded it to a 1 bed for an additional 100
I confirmed March 12-17 as I am using a marriott cat 6 hotel cert for the 17-24 on the big island. Now here is my problem, I set up the 12 days of lodging. Then I got my air through AA flying from des moines into hnl on the March 12Then flying aloha air from hnl to koa on March 17, then aa from koa to dsm on march 24. Now today I get a call from marriott stating that I took the KoOlina tour back in March of 06. The rep asked me If I had taken a tour in the last year and I stated no. I told him the last tour I had taken was back on March 06. He said no problem. Well I just purchased a hilton property and hope that after it closes I can get the Hawaiian Villiage for those dates. I think this is a very poor decision on Marriotts part. Any ideas on any recourse I may have.
Thanks, Rod

Rod,
That's a bummer! I read somewhere before that you could only do ONE per resort and TWO total. I spoke to a rep last week about the same preview offer. She only mentioned that I was eligible because I did not own Ko Olina - nothing about previous previews.

You could always get a cheap rental from Redweek. Try Royal Kuhio or the like.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

Marriott made an offer. You accepted and paid $100 + $699, presumably by credit card. From a legal standpoint, I think that payment is the required "consideration" to make the deal a legally binding contract, unless there was something in the fine print of the e-mail that limited whether you could accept based on past previews. If there wasn't any such exclusion, you probably have the law on your side. Whether it's worth pursuing is something only you can decide.

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, Thats just what I thought. I checked my Marriotts reward card and there has been no charge made. They took my information. I assumed that they ran my card at that time but perhaps they dont run it untill they check the system to see if you have made one of these tours. I called their supervisor and told her of my displeasure. She said she would get back to me. We will see. If I cant get the hilton hawiian villliage I will just get 2 hotel rooms or even try to get a condo for the 5 days on craigs list.
Thanks, Rod

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sounds as though you didn't "pay", since they didn't charge your card. Thus, probably no contract yet.

Let's hope they honor their offer.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I recently acted on this offer too, I was familiar with the promotion.

Here's a quote I copied from the details of participation in the offer I received from AA: "Eligibility - Annual income of $100,000 or more and ownership of primary residence is required. The individual whose name appears on the email may only redeem this offer. Excluded from this offer are employees and owners of any Marriott Vacation Club International property, owners’ families, previous participants in a Marriott or Marriott Vacation Club International promotion, and groups (two or more affiliated couples)."

Other offers have slightly different wording but it appears the AA one seems to exclude anyone who previously purchased a preview package.

A similar offer (but different promo #) on their website reads: "Guests may only return to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club with a preview package if 2 or more years have passed since the last Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club Preview date. Guests may not have more than one active package at a time."

You can check out all the available promotions on the website:
http://www.marriottvillas.com/getawaynow/media/

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That limitaton of one tour within a two-year period seems clear. Looks as though Rod should be out of luck!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
What I find disturbing about this is that the vacation rep had been told about the March '06 tour and had booked it anyway.

In the past Marriott has always ignored the "Excluded from this offer are employees and owners of any Marriott Vacation Club International property...." provision; what prevents them from arbitrarily enforcing this after people have made airfare, etc. arrangements?

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From this wording it would seem that anyone who owns a timeshare from Marriott is not eligible. If so, why was it mailed to him if he is an owner??

Beverley:wall:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I find this interesting as I am going to Ko'olina on a preview in less than a month. I was told by Marriott not to make flight arrangements until I had a confirmation number for my specific dates. Did you have a confirmation? Did they send you an e-mail confirmation with your dates and reservation number? If they did I would put up a real stink to have them honor it. If not I hate to say it but you might have jumped the gun to early.

Good luck Pam

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going on one in September, too. They called me back in 2005 trying to get me to go to one and I signed up (and paid) but didn't get it booked until now.

I'm assuming the terms on the one I bought are different than the posted terms since I definitely own a few Marriotts!

Jan

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure my original reply was clear so I'll try to fix it.

The first quote was from the AA offer which I received as an Advantage member. It appears the intent was to exclude current owners and anyone who has ever taken a preview offer.

The second one I found when I searched the Marriott site. It specifially excludes anyone who has taken a Ko'olina preview offer in the last two years, but doesn't mention current owners.

Ambo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the promo # or website of the AA promotion? I'm an Advantage member, but don't recall seeing it. The AA promotion sounds like a great deal - slightly better than the one on http://www.marriottvillas.com/getawaynow/media/ if for $699 you get 5 nights, car and 10K miles, and the Marriott's website it's $799 for 5 nights, car and $50 gift certificate (although both are a great deal, especially if you can upgrade to 1 bdrm for $100). Thanks!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the AA offer. However, you'll need to use your Superman powers to go back in time because it appears that the offer expired on July 31. Doesn't hurt to call and see if the offer is still valid.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the promo # or website of the AA promotion? I'm an Advantage member, but don't recall seeing it. The AA promotion sounds like a great deal - slightly better than the one on http://www.marriottvillas.com/getawaynow/media/ if for $699 you get 5 nights, car and 10K miles, and the Marriott's website it's $799 for 5 nights, car and $50 gift certificate (although both are a great deal, especially if you can upgrade to 1 bdrm for $100). Thanks!

Here is the link. It expired at the end of July, however.
http://www.marriott-vacations.com/offers/aa/koolina-beach-club.asp?loc=CI59*1-1OKTBU

Try calling, some people were able to get offers slightly different (locations) than the one shown. Maybe they will make the same offer using Marriott RW points in lieu of AA miles. Usually 10K points replaces the $50 GC. Waiohai gave us 20K MR points on my last preview.

Let us know.

Last edited:

Ambo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my super-hero powers came through, and Marriott let me reserve under the AA promotion for $699 even though it expired July 31; thanks for your help!

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rod, What was the outcome? Did they reneg your package or were you able to convince them to honor it?

Beverley:shrug:

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, after Shadow Ridge screwed us on our getaway deal, they kept after us for over a year to come back. Since they never seemed to come up with the master that I told them we paid for (and did), I finally told them to keep their 300.00 and I'd get it back from them in other ways. Trust me, I have ;) Idiots..

So, yeah, you can push the thing far beyond a year. They just want a warm body at the sales office...

Pat