• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida timeshare

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
Hi,

We are in the transfer process of our first resale for Wyndham points . Since we are still in the process I cannot access any RCI information . I thought I read on here somewhere that if you own a Florida timeshare that you cannot exchange into Dvc . We are looking to buy another small resale possibly Florida but if we would not be able to exchange into Dvc if we weren't using all of our points we would not even consider the purchase . Any info you could provide would be helpful . Thanks

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I believe that embargo only applies if you own in the Orlando area. I'm sure other more knowledgeable TUG'ers will chime in soon to verify.

~Diane

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The ban applies to timeshares within 30 miles of Orlando.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are in the transfer process of our first resale for Wyndham points . Since we are still in the process I cannot access any RCI information . I thought I read on here somewhere that if you own a Florida timeshare that you cannot exchange into Dvc . We are looking to buy another small resale possibly Florida but if we would not be able to exchange into Dvc if we weren't using all of our points we would not even consider the purchase . Any info you could provide would be helpful . Thanks

You can use Wyndham points to exchange into Disney resorts subject to availability.. the question is always one of availability

I wouldnt buy Wyndham to exchange into anything There are a lot of Wyndham resorts to reserve directly. Buy for those resorts, not the exchange opportunities.

if you just have to have a Disney resort, Id buy Disney or rent Disney,,, If I was a betting man Id bet that Disney prices on the secondary market will get much lower pretty soon. Disney has announced that certain "percs" will no longer transfer to secondary market buyers, and without the percs, Disney resorts, in my estimation, are no better than any other resort in the area....Wyndham's Bonnet Creek for example.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
The ban applies to timeshares within 30 miles of Orlando.

But does not apply to the mini systems. If you buy Bonnet Creek for example, it does not block you from using those Wyndham points through their RCI portal to exchange in to DVC.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Ocean Blvd, Wyndham Seawatch, Wyndham Fairfield Ten
But does not apply to the mini systems. If you buy Bonnet Creek for example, it does not block you from using those Wyndham points through their RCI portal to exchange in to DVC.

Ok.. Perfect. We are not buying specifically to exchange to Disney. However since we travel there so often, I definitely want that to be an option if it's available and we have unused points to exchange.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can use Wyndham points to exchange into Disney resorts subject to availability.. the question is always one of availability

I wouldnt buy Wyndham to exchange into anything There are a lot of Wyndham resorts to reserve directly. Buy for those resorts, not the exchange opportunities.

if you just have to have a Disney resort, Id buy Disney or rent Disney,,, If I was a betting man Id bet that Disney prices on the secondary market will get much lower pretty soon. Disney has announced that certain "percs" will no longer transfer to secondary market buyers, and without the percs, Disney resorts, in my estimation, are no better than any other resort in the area....Wyndham's Bonnet Creek for example.

I'm keeping an eye on Dvc also. I think prices will drop soon since most discounts and perks associated with DVC resale have been removed. We usually rent DVC points when we go. However if I can use any extra points we have to to exchange and save a little money ... I just want to make sure I can.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're aware that Wyndham has 16 Club Plus resorts in Florida...right?

If you're expecting to visit the SW coast of FL, you might need something else. Wyndham has the rest of the state pretty well covered.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping an eye on Dvc also. I think prices will drop soon since most discounts and perks associated with DVC resale have been removed. We usually rent DVC points when we go. However if I can use any extra points we have to to exchange and save a little money ... I just want to make sure I can.
I don't think that's going to happen. The questionable value of perks shouldn't affect DVC resale much one way or the other.

There's been a lot of noise about the perks changes, but I think it's doubtful that it will be more than a blip in resale prices.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Sounds like you know what you're doing since you're not buying just to exchange into dvc but rather are keeping options open. You probably already know that Bonnet Creek is an awesome place just as close as many dvc resorts to the parks.

As for southwest FL, there is supposed to be a Wyndham Clearwater in a year or so -- if it happens it will be a blend of someone's hotel build plus Wyndham resort units.

Look for low maintenance if going outside Orlando. Panama Beach I believe is one of the lowest maintenance fees in the Wyndham system due to the inflated points required to stay there. A bit further north Myrtle Beach has the unusual perk of offering 13 month APR at all 5 Myrtle resorts for points you own at any one of them in the area. Ocean Blvd I believe has the lowest of the Myrtle maintenance fees.

BTW using Wyndham to exchange into RCI is rarely a good 'deal' because of the additional $209 or so transaction fee. We're doing it this year to get into Bahamas because Wyndham has nothing there. We'll be at Sandyport beach and fully expect it NOT to be as nice as a Wyndham.

Bob

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok.. Perfect. We are not buying specifically to exchange to Disney. However since we travel there so often, I definitely want that to be an option if it's available and we have unused points to exchange.

There are benefits you don't get from Bonnet Creek that you would from DVC, like EMH, the transportation, etc., but Bonnet Creek is my very favorite resort I've stayed in, and a lot of people here that have stayed in both have remarked that BCR is much more spacious than DVC units. The pools are fantastic, especially if you have kids.

I write all this to suggest that you might find you don't need to exchange at all when you vacation in Orlando.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You're aware that Wyndham has 16 Club Plus resorts in Florida...right?

If you're expecting to visit the SW coast of FL, you might need something else. Wyndham has the rest of the state pretty well covered.

The primary timeshare we bought is in South Carolina so if we wanted to stay at a Wyndham in Florida we have 154000 pts for that. It's only the 2 of us so we don't need bigger than a one bedroom.
We are looking at purchasing a smaller contract just as an add on in case we want a bigger unit or long weekend somewhere else.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like you know what you're doing since you're not buying just to exchange into dvc but rather are keeping options open. You probably already know that Bonnet Creek is an awesome place just as close as many dvc resorts to the parks.

As for southwest FL, there is supposed to be a Wyndham Clearwater in a year or so -- if it happens it will be a blend of someone's hotel build plus Wyndham resort units.

Look for low maintenance if going outside Orlando. Panama Beach I believe is one of the lowest maintenance fees in the Wyndham system due to the inflated points required to stay there. A bit further north Myrtle Beach has the unusual perk of offering 13 month APR at all 5 Myrtle resorts for points you own at any one of them in the area. Ocean Blvd I believe has the lowest of the Myrtle maintenance fees.

BTW using Wyndham to exchange into RCI is rarely a good 'deal' because of the additional $209 or so transaction fee. We're doing it this year to get into Bahamas because Wyndham has nothing there. We'll be at Sandyport beach and fully expect it NOT to be as nice as a Wyndham.

Bob

I know it's generally not a good deal to exchange into RCI. We usually rent DVC points anyway and end up spending $1200 for a studio. So for us..if we end up with an exchange and just pay a few hundred in fees..it's still a win/win situation. We also love Bonnet Creek. Staying there was what got us thinking about buying a timeshare. However, if we are going to Disney specifically, we prefer to stay onsite.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are benefits you don't get from Bonnet Creek that you would from DVC, like EMH, the transportation, etc., but Bonnet Creek is my very favorite resort I've stayed in, and a lot of people here that have stayed in both have remarked that BCR is much more spacious than DVC units. The pools are fantastic, especially if you have kids.

I write all this to suggest that you might find you don't need to exchange at all when you vacation in Orlando.

Completely agree! We love Bonnet Creek. However, most times we are at Disney we prefer to stay on property. If we were going with others and needed the space, I would definitely book Bonnet Creek.

jaygould

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The primary timeshare we bought is in South Carolina so if we wanted to stay at a Wyndham in Florida we have 154000 pts for that. It's only the 2 of us so we don't need bigger than a one bedroom.
We are looking at purchasing a smaller contract just as an add on in case we want a bigger unit or long weekend somewhere else.

Another strategy for getting a bigger unit than your 154000-point annual allotment permits is to use the points credit pool to pull forward your points from next year or the year afterward (i.e. anything that shows in your points account),

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok..so quick question. So would buying in at Pompano Beach restrict me from exchanging into our FL resorts?

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it's generally not a good deal to exchange into RCI. We usually rent DVC points anyway and end up spending $1200 for a studio. So for us..if we end up with an exchange and just pay a few hundred in fees..it's still a win/win situation. We also love Bonnet Creek. Staying there was what got us thinking about buying a timeshare. However, if we are going to Disney specifically, we prefer to stay onsite.
Lots of ways to look at the relative "value" of exchanges. Sometimes getting something decent in a destination you want to visit outweighs the relative quality/cost comparison.

Specifically regarding DVC, our RCI exchange into OKW cost us a little less than HALF what the same stay would have cost using our OKW points.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
ok..so quick question. So would buying in at Pompano Beach restrict me from exchanging into our FL resorts?

No, because you are not "exchanging" anything due to points construct. At 10 months you can spend your points anywhere in the Wyndham system. It is not like RCI with their 1-in-X restrictions.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
awesome... thank you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Pompano, most 1bdr in PRIME season cost 140,000-154,000 Wyndham points. If you are looking to stay there in Winter season, you will need ARP for those resorts to book ANYTHING.

Only Royal Vista is totally UDI. Santa Barbara is totally converted fixed weeks. Sea Gardens is mostly converted fixed weeks EXCEPT for a few UDI units in the Ocean Palms building ... and I mean, VERY, VERY few. CWA might be a better deed for getting reservations ... as they now hold any fixed week that Wyndham recovers the ownership of .. foreclosures, Ovations, etc.

dansyr2514

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. We are still looking. I was outbid. Thank you for the info though.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates

Take a look at Bonnet Creek. Its on disney property, the resort is amazing. Having stayed at Old Key West for many years BC is equal to and IMHO much nicer. Only thing you give up is disney bus/transportation system. My solution - get an uber/Lyft - faster and better for schedules.

The resort is larger, more pools, and just as nice. Added bonus - no exchange fees! Good luck!