• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Country Club - Maui "Palms at Wailea" Review (part 1)

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
A Word is worth a thousand Pictures!!

Enjoy the written reviews -- but -- oh -- wouldn't a few pictures just add to the sense of luxury ??

We now have 500k ( raised from 100k ) for attachments for this forum --or use another photo hosting site and link --

More photo's ... please ... :)

Greg

We lug around two digital cameras as part of our travel gear but almost never take any pictures. We just kind of get caught up in the "living" part of our travels and don't have a sense that anything is special enough to take pictures. In other words, vacationing has become a part of our normal lifestyle so nothing stands out enough to demand a picture be taken. (I realize this doesn't make much sense but bear with me.) :confused:

Also note that the High Country Club web site has great, professionally taken pictures that would make my pictures look, well, amateur!

My review process is to take a bunch of notes when we are at a property and then organize the review on the way home. I really don't spend much time on the review when I'm at the propery ... becuase I'm on vacation!! The final "creative" stage and writing are done back at my office (in lieu of real work) or on the way to our next property. I'm a procrastinator by nature so I have several reviews that are 95% done. Mrs. TravelGuy (a.k.a. Wife #1) proofs the review once it's done and then we argue about why I'm not going to make any of the changes that she recommends. :D

Having said all that, we have made a conscious effort to take pictures for the DC4MS web site as well as TUG starting with the High Country Club Turks and Caicos Villa Renaissance property (we took two or three ... hey, it's a start!). I'll get them posted as soon as I'm back from Vegas (New Years baby!) and Stowe (Snow baby!). Oh, and I'll need some time to procrastinate about it also ...... ;)

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
What tha...?

Who did HCC survey ... all their west coast members?

How about Fort Lauderdale facing the beach, South Beach ON the beach, Hilton Head ON the beach, Marco Island ON the beach, Palm Beach ON the beach, Fort Lauderdale ON Las Olas Blvd, Boca ON the beach just to name a few of the cheaper locations due to the RE crunch.

Urban centres like 2-3 bdrm suites in Boston, more in NYC, Chicago North Michigan area, Toronto downtown, Montreal Old Town to name a few more. A few resale suites in the Westin at Blue Mountain (condo hotel) and at the JW Marriott Red Leaves (condo hotel) north of Toronto?

Europe ... too many to choose that rank way way ahead of HCC's Italy one.

PDawg,

With all due respect, thank goodness you're not a High Country Club member. You'd skew-up the new property polling! About the only property I agree with you is SoBe and I have a HGVC SoBe property so no rush for HCC on that account.

The Hilton Head Island golf property is as good as, if not better than, an ocean-front property as you'll see in my upcoming review. And before you start ... I'm more of a hardcore beach bum than you'll ever be! I log more time on the sand than the average life guard and I'm the poster boy for skin cancer and sun bleached hair. So ... if I am good with an off-beach house, it must be pretty good. I've been manic-depressive on week two of a Hilton Head Island vacation after moving from the High Country Club HHI Sea Pines house to an ocean-front Marriott timeshare. No comparison, High Country Club wins hands down!!

And Lauderdale??? R U Kiddin Me? Why would I go to Lauderdale when I can use that week in Turks or Cabo or Playa del Carmen or Wailea or Waikoloa or ... you get the point.

And where are you going in Europe next year that's better than Tuscany???? Lauderdale????

S

Steamboat Bill

And Lauderdale??? R U Kiddin Me? Why would I go to Lauderdale when I can use that week in Turks or Cabo or Playa del Carmen or Wailea or Waikoloa or ... you get the point.

As someone that grew up in Fort Lauderdale, I fully agree with you on this statement that those locations are better destinations.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I like Lauderdale cause I usually go EY for 4 weeks...and drive there...so that 'probably' means I can't go to Turks that way or for the 4 weeks. Give that one to Marriott BeachPlace or Ocean Pointe I guess. I also wouldn't compare Ft Laud to Turks --- except for snowbirds like me.

I also like the 3 & 4 night stay idea with HCC very much ... for driving escapes to Stowe (in summer - I'm not a skier), NYC. As new locations, Montreal, Tremblant, Muskoka Lakes, Quebec City, Toronto, Boston, Chicago, would all fit into short term driving escapes for me.

Europe is different - but a nice HCC suite on the Grand Canal in Venice would be wonderful for 4 nights, Florence on the Arno for 4 nights also nice, Rome for a week, Amalfi for 4 nights, a week in London facing the Thames and a week in Paris right on the Champs Elysses, etc. A 2 week stay in Tuscany would put me to sleep.

HCC was obviously started for skiers and west coasters. To grow they need to grow east IMO.

Brian

S

Steamboat Bill

HCC was obviously started for skiers and west coasters. To grow they need to grow east IMO.

Brian

I agree with you and have been requesting more east coast locations.

More members = More homes

oldkey

Reaction score
Beach Towels at HCC Palms?

For those of you that have been to the Maui property....

....where are the beach towels in the unit? My brother and father just left on Saturday and could not find them. They only went to the beach twice so they just brought towels from the bathrooms. My wife, myself and another couple are heading to Maui this Saturday (staying at HCC Palms) and would we are hoping not to bring much at all....just a small carry on.

Brother and father loved the condo. But - DVD player skipped quite a bit, they could not start the grill and they could not find the beach towels. They were also a little freaked out with the geckos hanging from the ceiling above them when they ate on the lanai....kept thinking they were going to fall into their food. .

All in all they had a great trip.....loved the property.

Last edited:

Tedpilot

Reaction score
The local contact should be able to help you find the stuff you need and also rectify any issues you have with the unit. Also, send a precursor to Chris or your agent at HCC and they will make sure everything is in order.

Ted

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have been to the Maui property....

....where are the beach towels in the unit? My brother and father just left on Saturday and could not find them. They only went to the beach twice so they just brought towels from the bathrooms. My wife, myself and another couple are heading to Maui this Saturday (staying at HCC Palms) and would we are hoping not to bring much at all....just a small carry on.

Brother and father loved the condo. But - DVD player skipped quite a bit, they could not start the grill and they could not find the beach towels. They were also a little freaked out with the geckos hanging from the ceiling above them when they ate on the lanai....kept thinking they were going to fall into their food. .

All in all they had a great trip.....loved the property.

No need to bring beach towels. As many beach towels as you want are available from the pool or at the Palms front desk concierge. My wife changed them out every day but you can keep them all week and return them at the end of the week.

We didn't have trouble with the DVD player but only used it several times. I use Tivo2Go off the laptop so I don't use DVDs much. When I have a problem like this, a quick e-mail or call to HCC concierge and they have replaced anything that needed replacing without question. The coffee maker at the Beaver Creek Arrowhead property was malfunctioning last week and they sent a brand new one to the unit immediately upon my contact with them. (They understand the IMPORTANCE of JAVA to my lifestyle! :D)

Same with the grill, although it worked great for us. Maybe we wore out the grill when we were at the HCC Palms, we used it so much. We did run out of gas at the apres ski deck grill at the Beaver Creek Village Hall property two weeks ago and the local concierge sent someone to change the tank in a snowstorm! They also dropped off extra firewood and a box of "firestarters" for good measure.

Be nice to the geckos! Remember that they are the natives and we are only tourists to their island. ;)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

oldkey

Reaction score
Just finishing our stay....

....had a great time at this wonderful property. Also had a chance to run out to the new property here on Maui and met with Casey, Scott and a myriad of craftsmen working to get it ready for mid-March occupancy....more on that later.

No way can I add more than did Travelguy in his original post, so I will just highlight some helpful additional tips and make a few comments and pictures:

http://www.putfile.com/album/0/oldkey

Tips:

- If you can plan it right, shop in Kahalui on your way. Costco is just like your Costco at home....the prices have to be the best on the island. It's very, very close to the airport. There is also a Super Walmart and Big K-Mart. The Ahi Shashimi was only $11.99/pound at Costco vs $19.99/pound at the close by Safeway. The Ahi Poke was also cheap and very good. The close by safeway is very expensive.
- The grill on the patio is incredible. Plan to grill as often as you can. Eat outside often.
- If you plan to use the snorkel gear, chairs, etc, available at the condo, take them out when you arrive and get them ready. The member before us left the gear in the bags wet and full of sand....it took us 25 minutes to get the gear clean enough to use and another 20 minutes to clean up all the sand we spilled in the bedroom before we realized the problem. The Outrigger staff cleans the condo but does not check the gear. Please clean the gear when you leave. :clap:
- If two couples are traveling together, be sure to have your HCC conceirge have the Palms pull the two twin beds in the second bedroom together and use a king fitted sheet to keep them together. They do not have king duvet covers, but the two stretched out across the beds worked just fine.
- There is a communal fridge and kitchen area at the pool should you want to bring your own drinks and food....curiously, everyone seemed to ignore the no alchohol sign.
- There are pool towels available at the front desk for the asking......as many as you need and they can be changed out as often as you like. But - they are not really beach towels.....small in my opinion for the beach. We spent $12 for huge beach towels at Costco and were much happier.
- Have your own sunset wine tasting by driving or walking to Ulua beach - very close to the condo. The wine tasted so much better sitting with friends watching the sunset......we saw a number of people with full blown picnics. Remember that there are two chairs and a cooler at the condo.
- Walk all over the Wailea area, especially to the Shops at Wailea and on the paved path connecting the Marriott down to the Fairmont. The Marriott, Grand Wailea Hotel, Four Seasons and Fairmont are all beautiful.....worth a visit, with many great restaurants.
- The Maui Dive Shop in the Shops at Wailea rent great equipment for about $7/day.....fast and convenient.
- For those of you unclear about what to do with the wine cooler below the microwave we offer a suggestiuon - mini-kegs of Heineken from Costco.
http://www.putfile.com/album/178354

Be warned:

- the second bedroom has a door but not a true wall. The "wall" is actually 4 sliding "shutters" - really a room divider with slats. When laying in that room, you hear absolutely everything from the main living area and anyone in the living area hears everything in the bedroom - everything. There simply is no privacy. Anyone in this second bedroom finds it difficult to continue sleeping if someone from the other bedroom gets up first. OK for kids, tough for a second couple. To make matters worse, that second couple needs to leave their bedroom and go to a bathroom in the hall....visible from the dining room table. Again, not very private. We traveled as two couples and would probably not do so again at this location. The second couple really gets the short end of the stick. We switched bedrooms half way through the trip.
- As noted, there are sixteen steps from the parking lot down to the front door of the condo......not very accessible for a disabled person.

All in all, we had a great time in a wonderful section of Maui. Wailea is truly beautiful. This is a great condo in an extremely expensive area.

Last edited:

annenp

Reaction score
Doug the High Country Club - Maui "Palms at Wailea sounds great!!

As a HGVC owner how can I access this resort??

osloboso

Reaction score
Thanks.

I asked wife #1 what her choice would be between the High Country Club Maui and Turks & Caicos properties after our return from Turks last week. I figured that this would be the ultimate "laypersons" determination of which resort should rank higher. Her response after a looong pause and much reflection .... "we're gonna need more weeks"! :wall:

Just wondering what your other wives think! and how many?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I asked wife #1 what her choice would be

I have used this once ( and got a huge head slap - afterwards - but was worth it ) -- introduce your better half as ... " and this is my FIRST wife "

Greg

ps - it is fun re-reading some of these posts --and yes--I still want more pictures linked or attached - thanks for bumping the thread --since then I have joined HCC as a eastern guy and a Cdn guy ( there are more of us than you might think ).

Last edited:

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
TravelWife #1

I'm still with TravelWife #1 after 30+ years!! It's either love or insanity, you choose. ;)

I use the term "wife #1" in two different vernaculars (guy talk):

A) Marital bliss (most days) - "#1" as in "Best" wife ever!

B) Un-Marital bliss (a select few days) - "#1" as in replaceable by secession to #2, etc.

Although our sherpas do most of the heavy lifting during our many travels, TravelWife is irreplaceable for her packing and grilling skills among others. (She has an uncanny ability to fill a suitcase to 49.5 pounds!) She also handles translating work in foreign countries and ALWAYS lets me have the window seat on our many flights.

What's not to love! :D

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Snorkle gear and future photos.

Another option is to rent (see websites below)

It's true that you can rent at the Palms resort but you cannot rent the High Country Club unit as it's reserved for member use only. I've seen a huge difference in a number of the Outrigger rental unit's furnishings and quality of upkeep vs. the HCC property. Some of the rental units have a better view of the ocean but they are located way up the hill, away from the ocean. I'd rather be closer to the beach and have the privacy of the huge lanai and lawn.

One of the big advantages to a Destination Club membership is the quality of furnishings, appliances and electronics. The also have much better amenities and personal concierge service if you desire. (When was the last time your timeshare had multiple beach chairs, beach toys and snorkle gear in the unit for your use?)

We're headed back to the High Country Club Palms property in November. I'll make sure that the sherpas pack the photo gear and I'll post some pictures upon our return.

S

Sherpa

Although our sherpas do most of the heavy lifting during our many travels,

What's not to love! :D

Glad to hear that those Sherpas are proving useful !!!!!!!

They can also be excellent Guides.

(Sorry couldn't resist :) )

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
It's true that you can rent at the Palms resort but you cannot rent the High Country Club unit as it's reserved for member use only. I've seen a huge difference in a number of the Outrigger rental unit's furnishings and quality of upkeep vs. the HCC property. Some of the rental units have a better view of the ocean but they are located way up the hill, away from the ocean. I'd rather be closer to the beach and have the privacy of the huge lanai and lawn.

One of the big advantages to a Destination Club membership is the quality of furnishings, appliances and electronics. The also have much better amenities and personal concierge service if you desire. (When was the last time your timeshare had multiple beach chairs, beach toys and snorkle gear in the unit for your use?)

We're headed back to the High Country Club Palms property in November. I'll make sure that the sherpas pack the photo gear and I'll post some pictures upon our return.

A naive question surely, from a 10 year FS Aviara owner, but completely new to exchanging of any kind: Is it possible to exchange from FS to HCC? It does not show up on the FS direct exchange list. Through RCI or II? (Again sorry for such a simple question but this whole exchange business has a lot of staggering number moving parts :D )

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A naive question surely, from a 10 year FS Aviara owner, but completely new to exchanging of any kind: Is it possible to exchange from FS to HCC? It does not show up on the FS direct exchange list. Through RCI or II? (Again sorry for such a simple question but this whole exchange business has a lot of staggering number moving parts :D )

You can swap thru Registry Collection (part of RCI ) -- Aviara doesn't support this - you do it as an owner --try a search to see more

Greg