• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Country Club info

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I read more about HCC and after talking with Heath, it is not very clear to me what is the clientele they target as they have 1 BR to 4BR villas...Where will the company put its priority : prime locations (ie smaller units possibly) or getting homes for average family ?...It seems to me there should be a consistency in the development plans as it is hard to figure it the product is right for a family of 5 or not!

My take from reading the literature, reviews, TUG and talking to HCC is that there is a little bit of everything to appeal to a pretty broad cliente -- i.e. skiers, hikers, golfers, beach lovers and people who like to explore Europe; with a toehold in the big city (starting with New York) and possibly expanding to other metro areas. There's also a mix of mega & larger properties (Maui, Colo & Outer Banks) --with 2-3 bedroom properties.

On the eastern seaboard, you have a base in Orlando for the Disney set, and another in Stowe, Vermont for families with older kids who like to explore the outdoors, hike or ski. If you check out the HCC web site and look closely at the different properties, you can see if they will suit your family or not. Ask Heath to give you temporary access to the "member login" and you'll find a lot of detail re the actual space of the houses or condos, their layout, and availability.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Investigating the DC market was a different experience for me. Perhaps because it is a somewhat new vacation industry, I found some members of individual DC clubs very protective and defensive about their decisions to join ... and if you dare to raise a possible 'negative' be prepared to be flamed, bullied and insulted. I've not seen that on TUG before - objectivity seems to be out the window when asking for DC information. You must do your own due dilligence in researching what DC club is best for you, if any, and know your family vacations needs for today and tomorrow. It is not an easy decision because it can be a huge investment in a private company.
Brian

I’m probably one of the biggest opponents to DCs here – and I was one of the first to stumble on them several years ago. Timeshares and DCs are two entirely different markets. DC’s don’t allow you to buy a resale for 10¢ on the dollar. DC’s don’t generally back the membership with any deeds. DC’s are steeped in mystery like II and RCI. DC’s don’t allow you to liquidate your membership at a moment’s notice. DC owners rely on a friendly voice over the phone to replace state laws designed to protect the consumer.

Still, they offer value to their members. DC’s are, to me, a wait and pounce on the carcass and get that 90% discount kind of thing. I’m patiently waiting for that day. In the mean time I get reactions that you would expect from folks who have made their decision and find folks like me circling and waiting for a dead carcass – just plain annoying. I don’t take it personally.

I still believe that one day I will be a DC member - I can't tell anyone when and at what price but my gut tell me that someday my risk/reward tolerance will be met.

S

Steamboat Bill

I still believe that one day I will be a DC member - I can't tell anyone when and at what price but my gut tell me that someday my risk/reward tolerance will be met.

I would suggest that you should be discussing with any potential DC a "TUG discount" as if (and when) you find a DC worthwhile, there may be 10 other TUGers that may also want to join. In fact, I would venture that many HCC members would entertain joining a second DC if it offers value and meets some of the criteria you posted a while ago. I would love to join a second DC for extra variety and diversity.

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you should be discussing with any potential DC a "TUG discount" as if (and when) you find a DC worthwhile, there may be 10 other TUGers that may also want to join. In fact, I would venture that many HCC members would entertain joining a second DC if it offers value and meets some of the criteria you posted a while ago. I would love to join a second DC for extra variety and diversity.

I must say that HCC seems to be doing it right - as long as I don't peek under the paperwork and try to see how this all works.

My $35k "throw away" DC membership fee for a 1/8 interest in the condo still holds - I'm guessing that someone in HCC will break away, take the paperwork and do a global search and replace of HCC with their own name and start a new club. Takes but a weekend to cook up a DC - no need to worry about real estate laws , qualifications, or regulations or even 1 DC law.

But this probably won't happen until after the November elections when suddenly everything will be reported positively by the Drive-By Media. Expect the housing industry and the entire country to explode upwards after years of false reporting is suddenly stopped.

Just a guess but one that folks should be getting their plans ready to pounce on a beat up country and economy that really didn't deserve this treatment.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh??

I must say that HCC seems to be doing it right - as long as I don't peek under the paperwork and try to see how this all works.

My $35k "throw away" DC membership fee for a 1/8 interest in the condo still holds - I'm guessing that someone in HCC will break away, take the paperwork and do a global search and replace of HCC with their own name and start a new club. Takes but a weekend to cook up a DC - no need to worry about real estate laws , qualifications, or regulations or even 1 DC law.

But this probably won't happen until after the November elections when suddenly everything will be reported positively by the Drive-By Media. Expect the housing industry and the entire country to explode upwards after years of false reporting is suddenly stopped.

Just a guess but one that folks should be getting their plans ready to pounce on a beat up country and economy that really didn't deserve this treatment.

Perry,

I not sure I follow your post. Something about a conspiracy involving the news corporations, the current government, the regulating agencies of housing, the SEC & Wall Street, politicians from both parties and someone with a computer, copier and a free weekend that will align in November and spell the demise of High Country Club and/or other DCs? Did I get that right?

And I assume that environmental-wackos fit into this somehow?

Welcome back to the DC boards!

PerryM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perry,

I not sure I follow your post. Something about a conspiracy involving the news corporations, the current government, the regulating agencies of housing, the SEC & Wall Street, politicians from both parties and someone with a computer, copier and a free weekend that will align in November and spell the demise of High Country Club and/or other DCs? Did I get that right?

And I assume that environmental-wackos fit into this somehow?

Welcome back to the DC boards!

All I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with the housing market or US economy - there are thousands of talking heads poo-pooing the status quo and paint a dismal picture of the US. These folks will turn 180 degrees after the Nov elections and all of a sudden the housing market is just fine and so is the economy.

Don't believe me? Well just where are the headlines about the War anymore? They stopped 3 months ago and the War is just fine now.

So before folks jump off the cliff, along with the talking heads, hold tight and get everything ready for a rocket ride of a lifetime starting right after the elections in Nov.

The Drive-By Media is ALWAYS wrong in what they report. So if you are looking to liquidate a real estate holding and do something else with it just wait and see my prediction come true.

Tedpilot

Reaction score
I agree with Perry...the media for the most part doesn't get it right. Whenever they have a story that is in my profession they are reporting irrelevant facts, opinions that don't matter and somehow sensationalizing what really happened, or didn't happen but they're trying to imply that it did. Maybe this is the same thing in your profession of expertise? For that reason, I only "believe" the weatherman on the news...or as we call them the weather guessors because they aren't always right either, but they do use statistical modeling and facts for their basis, not what Wanda at the Weinerschnitzchel House thinks.

vineyarder

Reaction score
I only "believe" the weatherman on the news...or as we call them the weather guessors because they aren't always right either, but they do use statistical modeling and facts for their basis, not what Wanda at the Weinerschnitzchel House thinks.

"The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it." - Patrick Young

seatrout

Reaction score

Yup, I agree. I have been adding a week each year now for some time.
November would be a good time to add another week or a DC. Perry- let me know when you are ready to pull the plug.:D