• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it just me, or is Maui the noisiest place on the planet?

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are finishing our second of four weeks on Maui. Our first week was spent at Maui Schooner, which is a very nice resort in a great location. However they were resurfacing the pool deck so the pool was closed the entire week. Every morning at 7:30 am the jackhammers started outside our ground floor unit. After four days the cement truck parked outside our bedroom around the same time and rumbled away, all day. When the pool resurfacing was finished and I prayed for some morning quiet, an arborist came along and spent the day chopping branches from a tree on the property and chipping them all. I chalked it up to bad luck.

Then we moved to the Sands of Kahana, into a lovely unit on the 4th floor with ocean glimpses. Every morning, starting just after 6, a series of garbage and recycling trucks come along and pick up stuff. The sound of glass bottles pouring into a truck bed outside our bedroom window is not exactly my idea of a tropical paradise.

Then the lawnmowers, weed whackers and leaf blowers start up. This morning they are mowing a small patch of lawn under our bedroom window, exactly where they mowed yesterday! It makes no sense!

Our usual routine while on vacation is to have a leisurely morning drinking coffee reading our online newspapers, then heading out around noon to explore the sights. On this trip we are up by 7, out the door by 8:15, and we don't dare come back until after 4 or so.

Oh and did I mention the construction at the resort next door to us? You guessed it, jackhammers rule there too.

We have vacationed a lot on Kauai and the Big Island, and haven't been to Maui since the early '90's. What a disappointment! Is it just me or does Maui have no noise bylaws at all? Just wondering...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Fall is off-season in Hawaii, so a lot of resorts try to do their maintenance work then.

But you have my complete sympathy - we once had a noisy unit on Kauai, and I felt like I hardly slept all week! Miserable!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yeah, that doesn't sound relaxing, but it's nice to know Maui Schooner is continually cleaning things up. It sounds like a super place to stay.

The trash trucks are loud at SOK, and that is just how it is. The way the hallways are built, absolutely everyone hears the same noise.

When we were at Hono Koa last year, they were trimming the palm trees. I was fascinated and watched from our lanai. Very risky work, but the arborists were well protected.

We cannot hear much from our unit, because we are very close to the ocean, about 60 feet, but the tree trimming was right at our 3rd floor window.

dlca1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the noisy stay.

We are at wkorv and wkorvn and it has been very peaceful/quiet.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
To answer the question in the title of this thread: It is just you, or more likely your bad luck on this trip. We spend several weeks every winter at the Maui Ocean Club and we have never encountered much noise at all.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Valley Isle?

Oh and did I mention the construction at the resort next door to us? You guessed it, jackhammers rule there too.

Just wondering...Are they finally repairing the fire damage to the Valley Isle and the exercise center?

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is that what happened? Yes repairs are underway, but they don't seem to be working on it every day (thank heaven for small mercies).

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry you have so much noise. i thought you would be complaining about the noisy birds. i remember reading a review of a 5 star resort where the guet said the crickets chirping kept him from sleeping. personally I swear there is a gardener who follows us to resorts around the world and starts his leaf blower early every morning. Apparently he is in Maui this week. Seriously what is up with gardeners and their early morning leaf blowing? And why are they so noisy?:shrug:

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I am hoping that we will have 4 days of relative quiet over Thanksgiving.

I'm afraid we have discovered that we are "done" with Hawaii. We have been coming to various islands for the month of November for over 10 years, and I think my husband was "done" last year. I have joined him in his "doneness" this year. Too hot, too crowded, too expensive as well as too noisy.

PS We had 2 weimaraners while our kids were growing up - what great dogs!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

I'm afraid we have discovered that we are "done" with Hawaii. We have been coming to various islands for the month of November for over 10 years, and I think my husband was "done" last year. I have joined him in his "doneness" this year. Too hot, too crowded, too expensive as well as too noisy.

Too hot? That's a new one.

taffy19

Reaction score

PS We had 2 weimaraners while our kids were growing up - what great dogs!
I hope so for you that it will be quiet over Thanksgiving.

Before you leave, drive up to the up-country and you will find peace and quiet. I guarantee you. :)

It is beautiful and even with a little bit of fog one time we went. I have some very nice pictures of that day but can't find them anymore. It is even more beautiful on a clear day and you may as well go up to the crater too, if you haven't been there yet.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We just got a call from Maui Schooner yesterday to let us know they will be
Working on the sidewalks. They are making them ADA compliant. Sounds like
More Jack hammering. We check in next Friday. The next week we go to Valley
Isle. I don't know how much more work they have to do after the fire. It's fine
With me, I can sleep through anything. I'm sure I'll still nap on the lanai.:D

If not we go to Kauai the week after. We'll find quiet somewhere.

taffy19

Reaction score
Too hot? That's a new one.
Kihei is warmer and less rainy than on Ka'anapali beach and north of Black rock is even cooler and windier so the ocean is rougher too. We noticed it last year when we moved three times during four weeks.

Kihei is great during the rainy season because they have less rain.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ones that really get under my skin are the MMM's.

MMM=Maui Moped Maniacs, Little buzzy engines sound like a bumble bee on Steroids.

And of course 99.4% of them drive like they don't care if they live or die or take someone with them.

Last trip to Kihei one of them hit a pedestrian in a walkway. Don't know how seriously the ped was injured but Bubba, one of the peds friends, wrapped the moped around a light post. :cheer: Fortunately Bubba didn't wrap the moped rider around the post.

Sterling

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Garbage and Delivery Trucks at the Hilton Hawaiian Village

We are finishing our second of four weeks on Maui. Our first week was spent at Maui Schooner, which is a very nice resort in a great location. However they were resurfacing the pool deck so the pool was closed the entire week. Every morning at 7:30 am the jackhammers started outside our ground floor unit. After four days the cement truck parked outside our bedroom around the same time and rumbled away, all day. When the pool resurfacing was finished and I prayed for some morning quiet, an arborist came along and spent the day chopping branches from a tree on the property and chipping them all. I chalked it up to bad luck.

Then we moved to the Sands of Kahana, into a lovely unit on the 4th floor with ocean glimpses. Every morning, starting just after 6, a series of garbage and recycling trucks come along and pick up stuff. The sound of glass bottles pouring into a truck bed outside our bedroom window is not exactly my idea of a tropical paradise.

Then the lawnmowers, weed whackers and leaf blowers start up. This morning they are mowing a small patch of lawn under our bedroom window, exactly where they mowed yesterday! It makes no sense!

Our usual routine while on vacation is to have a leisurely morning drinking coffee reading our online newspapers, then heading out around noon to explore the sights. On this trip we are up by 7, out the door by 8:15, and we don't dare come back until after 4 or so.

We have vacationed a lot on Kauai and the Big Island, and haven't been to Maui since the early '90's. What a disappointment! Is it just me or does Maui have no noise bylaws at all? Just wondering...

We sleep with our windows open when we are at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the winter and the garbage and delivery trucks that service the Ilikai which is right next door can be heard every early morning. We usually wake up early around 6 AM so that it is not that bad waking up to that sound. Walking along the Ocean later in the morning in January in shorts and tank tops or on the way home along the Moonlit Ocean that night turns the sound in the morning into music for us. If this happened where we live in Selden, NY we would be on the phone to the Police or Noise Control Office immediately.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two years ago at the worldmark in Kihei we were woken up or disturbed (if we were already up) by a car alarm going off outside of our door every morning. The last day we let the kids sleep in while just hubby and I went on a snorkeling trip. When we got back we asked the kids and they said yes the car alarm had gone off again. The family in the building beside us let their children play with the vehicle fob. One day my husband went out and just yelled every ******* day!:ignore:

So I guess I have to agree it is a noisy place.

Joan

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
92 degrees today in Kahana - I guess that's my Canadian sensibilities labelling "hot".

Iconnections, thanks for the tip about upcountry. We definitely plan to go to Haleakala and Hana. Two good things to do that will keep us away from the resort during the day...

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was 8 above (F) here this morning, but quiet. Wanna trade? :)

Jim

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got a call from Maui Schooner yesterday to let us know they will be
Working on the sidewalks. They are making them ADA compliant. Sounds like
More Jack hammering. We check in next Friday. The next week we go to Valley
Isle. I don't know how much more work they have to do after the fire. It's fine
With me, I can sleep through anything. I'm sure I'll still nap on the lanai.:D

If not we go to Kauai the week after. We'll find quiet somewhere.

Alii Kai Resort at Princeville is definitely quiet. So quiet it wakes the wife. She's the type that falls asleep with TV on and when I turn it off she wakes up.

Sterling

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOUD! But in a good way...

After all my b*tching and moaning about noise on Maui we went to hear Los Lobos at the Maui Arts and Cultural Center in the Castle Theater. They were great, and the venue was terrific. I can recommend it highly.

JimmieJames

TUG Member
Reaction score
More on tree trimming""""

We were on Maui about 3 or 4 years ago and stopped at one of the county parks where they were trimming the palms. Got to talking to a local and asked him about the trimmers - Oh, No, he said, they are not natives. That work is being done by Samoans (sp?). Too hard of work for the natives. He said that the day before one of the workers was whacking away with his machete and cut his safety harness in two and fell to his death. He said that they now use chain harnesses.

Jim

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back at Maui Schooner for our last week on the Noisy Isle. This morning they are loading torn up pieces of sidewalk onto a truck (ka-THUNK! ka-THUNK!) with a backhoe that only goes in reverse (beep beep beep beep...) right outside our bedroom. Sigh...

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Eal

We were on the road to Hana so we didn't hear anything at
the Schooner today.:D We're here until Friday, then we go to
Valley Isle. We're in room A404. Never met a TUGGER in person yet.:D

Last edited: