• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Desert Springs Villas, Spa and hotel access no more, effective 1/1/10

E

EducatedConsumer

The more I hear about closing the fitness center at the spa and not being willing to renegotiate our use of the spa and other hotel facilities, the more I wonder if the hotel owners are in desperate financial shape due to the recession. I would not be surprised if they declared bankruptcy and closed the hotel although I hope it doesn't happen.

Declare bankruptcy? Close the hotel? I guess the chances of Host doing that are remote.

The hotel is owned by Host Hotels. Host has very deep pockets. www.hosthotels.com. Not to suggest that other company's with deep pockets haven't declared bankruptcy, but Host's portfolio is diverse enough to withstand a lot of risk. Might Host contemplate selling the hotel, I would speculate so. But that's nothing but very abstract speculation.

Back on topic, I suggest that we DSVI owners consider starting a website like this one: www.aocconcernedowners.com

Last edited by a moderator:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
- for instance they have insisted that DSV indemnify the hotel if any Owner or guest is injured by their negligence, while both significantly increasing the license fee and limiting to six the total number of spa visits allowed per unit week.

No offense to the attorneys out there but, I bet this is a big part of the problem . I've assisted in negotiating many multi-million dollar deals, the biggst over $100 million, and the legal wrangling is almost always the roadblocks to getting things done. Owner's attorneys will say you need to add X to your deal to cover some unlikely insurance liability and the deal is 30% higher as a result.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Declare bankruptcy? Close the hotel? I guess the chances of Host doing that are remote.

The hotel is owned by Host Hotels. Host has very deep pockets. www.hosthotels.com. Not to suggest that other company's with deep pockets haven't declared bankruptcy, but Host's portfolio is diverse enough to withstand a lot of risk. Might Host contemplate selling the hotel, I would speculate so. But that's nothing but very abstract speculation.

Back on topic, I suggest that we DSVI owners consider starting a website like this one: www.aocconcernedowners.com

The decision to terminate the agreement with Villas I has everything to do with preserving the Spa and hotel pool as a quality experience for guests. That's why they decided to terminate it, rather than simply negotiate a higher amount.

I am disappointed also that the agreement was not renewed.
But, I see the reasons for it.

Those who wish the Spa experience can pay for it. Those who do not use, no longer have to pay for those that do.
And, the bet is that once Villas I owners have to pay a use fee, they will not simply treat it as an extension of Villas amenities.

It may not be popular to say, but the hotel pool and bar is not a 'family oriented' environment. The hotel is a golf/tennis and convention resort. The Villas I agreement was tenuous at best for the past 2 renewals.

I don't know what you are so excited about. Marriott has not done anything wrong here.
You can boycott the hotel amenities all you like. But, pleeease, don't make it sound like you were spending your money at the hotel because you were subsidizing Marriott.

melroseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
DSVI disccontinuing use of JW Marriott facilities

The use of JW Marriott facilities has been and is a significant selling point for some Marriott timeshares. We own at Canyon Villas and Lakeshore Reserve in large part because of the ability to use the adjacent hotel pools and spas; we originally bought at Kauai Beach Club because those resort facilities are part of the package. I know MVCI has reserved the right to discontinue those associations whenever, but by doing so they would hurt themselves, and have hurt themselves by discontinuing at DSVI. I have been watching the resale market for DSVI villas at the right price, but now there is no advantage to me over DSVII or Shadow Ridge. And if I thought they would pull the plug at Canyon Villas or Lakeshore I would probably not be interested in any more Marriotts. Everything has consequences, even for Marriott.

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may not be popular to say, but the hotel pool and bar is not a 'family oriented' environment.

I am not sure what you mean by this...my children loved the multiple pools and jacuzzis.

The bar/resturant by the pools has no equal in any of the Marriott timeshares I have visited and is very kid friendly.

Doesn't matter....all gone now.

Owners please write in to the HOA President and lets discontinue paying for expensive shuttle service.

daisy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the parties could not reach a new agreement. However, I do not agree with recommending that the shuttle be stopped. The shuttle provides a service around the properties, I and II, and gives a lift to the hotel for those wanting to see the hotel, walk around, perhaps eat, etc. without having to take a car.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by this...my children loved the multiple pools and jacuzzis.

The bar/resturant by the pools has no equal in any of the Marriott timeshares I have visited and is very kid friendly.

Doesn't matter....all gone now.

Owners please write in to the HOA President and lets discontinue paying for expensive shuttle service.

On a weekend in the summer of 2008 I visited the pool area of the JW Marriott. I was encouraged to do so by fellow tuggers here. It is a beautiful resort. However on this weekend there was an abundance of young and old drinking alcoholic beverages in great excess. The pool area was absolutely littered around the lounge chairs with empty cups and beer cans. When we finally found an empty lounge chair, 2 drunk young men passed out nearby. The staff did not even attempt to clean up the litter until after the crowd had dissipated.

As a result of this experience my I was not impressed with the clientèle that visits the JW Pool at Palm Desert. I would have to agree that the JW Pool is not geared for young children.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I've always reserved DSV I specifically for the use of the JW pools and spa over all other resorts. Now with that amenity gone, I will not stay there again since there are newer resorts, such as Shadow Ridge. This is a pity, especially for DSV I owners, where the demand for their timeshare may be impacted and for everyone else who enjoyed the hotel amenities. Too bad.

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The use of JW Marriott facilities has been and is a significant selling point for some Marriott timeshares. We own at Canyon Villas and Lakeshore Reserve in large part because of the ability to use the adjacent hotel pools and spas; we originally bought at Kauai Beach Club because those resort facilities are part of the package. I know MVCI has reserved the right to discontinue those associations whenever, but by doing so they would hurt themselves, and have hurt themselves by discontinuing at DSVI. I have been watching the resale market for DSVI villas at the right price, but now there is no advantage to me over DSVII or Shadow Ridge. And if I thought they would pull the plug at Canyon Villas or Lakeshore I would probably not be interested in any more Marriotts. Everything has consequences, even for Marriott.

I attended a Lake Shore Reserve presentation very early and was told I could have use of the Ritz Pool, the next presentation I attended it was gone, glad I did not purchase the first time, it made it very tempting, I am sure the price of DSVI will drop, but at least maintenence fees will go down.and if you believe that......

Cut off the shuttle!!

E

EducatedConsumer

On a weekend in the summer of 2008 I visited the pool area of the JW Marriott. I was encouraged to do so by fellow tuggers here. It is a beautiful resort. However on this weekend there was an abundance of young and old drinking alcoholic beverages in great excess. The pool area was absolutely littered around the lounge chairs with empty cups and beer cans. When we finally found an empty lounge chair, 2 drunk young men passed out nearby. The staff did not even attempt to clean up the litter until after the crowd had dissipated.

As a result of this experience my I was not impressed with the clientèle that visits the JW Pool at Palm Desert. I would have to agree that the JW Pool is not geared for young children.

The crowd that you witnessed is a byproduct of $99/night hotel rooms in the middle of the summer.

Come to think of it, I'd have to be impaired to want to lounge around the pool at the JW in the middle of the summer.

The impact of our nation's economy seems to have dealt a low blow to the JW.

dash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dsv 1

My Question is to Fredm

Do you feel that the value of the DSV 1 will now be reduced because of this decision? When we purchased this particular timeshare, the push was because of the "villa amenity", The Spa.

Originally posted by Fredm, "The decision to terminate the agreement with Villas I has everything to do with preserving the Spa and hotel pool as a quality experience for guests. That's why they decided to terminate it, rather than simply negotiate a higher amount.

I am disappointed also that the agreement was not renewed.
But, I see the reasons for it.

Those who wish the Spa experience can pay for it. Those who do not use, no longer have to pay for those that do.
And, the bet is that once Villas I owners have to pay a use fee, they will not simply treat it as an extension of Villas amenities. "

It may not be popular to say, but the hotel pool and bar is not a 'family oriented' environment. The hotel is a golf/tennis and convention resort. The Villas I agreement was tenuous at best for the past 2 renewals.

I don't know what you are so excited about. Marriott has not done anything wrong here.
You can boycott the hotel amenities all you like. But, pleeease, don't make it sound like you were spending your money at the hotel because you were subsidizing Marriott.

Empty Nest

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The crowd that you witnessed is a byproduct of $99/night hotel rooms in the middle of the summer."

Nope! Read the reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel. We've stayed there in the dead of winter, high season. It's a weekend get away for college kids, bachelor parties and spring breakers. Last March we spent a week on points in an upgraded hotel room overlooking the pool, then moved to Villas II for the following week. It was pretty calm Sunday-Friday, but on the weekend the action at the pool, lobby, and hallways was unbelievable. And loud!

It was obvious many people were staying in each room along with many beer bongs.

We like the hotel and restaurants, and DH is a tennis player. But we avoid the main pool. There is a quiet pool at the back of the hotel that the kids avoid.
Our next stay there will be on a Sunday through Friday.
Jolene

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel redeemed.

"The crowd that you witnessed is a byproduct of $99/night hotel rooms in the middle of the summer."

Nope! Read the reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel. We've stayed there in the dead of winter, high season. It's a weekend get away for college kids, bachelor parties and spring breakers. Last March we spent a week on points in an upgraded hotel room overlooking the pool, then moved to Villas II for the following week. It was pretty calm Sunday-Friday, but on the weekend the action at the pool, lobby, and hallways was unbelievable. And loud!

It was obvious many people were staying in each room along with many beer bongs.

We like the hotel and restaurants, and DH is a tennis player. But we avoid the main pool. There is a quiet pool at the back of the hotel that the kids avoid.
Our next stay there will be on a Sunday through Friday.
Jolene

Thank You Jolene for the support! Now I know it was not just my sole experience.

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, whether the pools at the JW were full of maniacal savages or not
is not germane to the conversation. Access to the pools is moot ....that ship has sailed. (Of course, I personally have been there on TEN separate vacations without having anything less than a kid-friendly experience).

The point at hand is how do owners at DSV 1 respond to being unceremoniously disinvited from using the services at the hotel. ( Of course one could purchase a la carte services just as if you stopped by the hotel while walking down the street. I say no thanks to that welcome mat).

I would suggest that the shuttle services are an expensive luxury that serves the interests of the hotel and only a tiny subset of the DSV owners. Certainly one can fairly ask why the shuttle should go to the JW at all given their attitude to the timeshare HOA ....can't one argue that taking guests to other local community shopping and eateries (as I believe the Newport Coast shuttle does) is a more justifiable expenditure of HOA fees ?

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frankly, whether the pools at the JW were full of maniacal savages or not
is not germane to the conversation. Access to the pools is moot ....that ship has sailed. (Of course, I personally have been there on TEN separate vacations without having anything less than a kid-friendly experience).

The point at hand is how do owners at DSV 1 respond to being unceremoniously disinvited from using the services at the hotel. ( Of course one could purchase a la carte services just as if you stopped by the hotel while walking down the street. I say no thanks to that welcome mat).

I would suggest that the shuttle services are an expensive luxury that serves the interests of the hotel and only a tiny subset of the DSV owners. Certainly one can fairly ask why the shuttle should go to the JW at all given their attitude to the timeshare HOA ....can't one argue that taking guests to other local community shopping and eateries (as I believe the Newport Coast shuttle does) is a more justifiable expenditure of HOA fees ?

Maybe $2 a shuttle trip would be a pretty fair use fee for those using the service.

Use fees are a great way to increase costs to owners without increasing dues. So basically, dues increased about $50 more this year than whatever increase there already was, it will be interesting to see next years dues with the overage from this years dues, its a pretty substantial overage.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? When we stayed at Westin Maui Timeshare last year, we were told that we couldn't use Westin hotel pool.
I am an owner at Marriott Canyon Villas. This new dvelopment worries me that JW Desert Ridge might also do something similar to us. :(

You are correct. We were told that the Westin Hotel pool was off limits as well during our visit to WKORV.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
You are correct. We were told that the Westin Hotel pool was off limits as well during our visit to WKORV.

:eek: This is a revolting set of developments at both Marriott and Starwood. Hilton has not permitted guests at HGVC affiliated properties to have courtesy access to the nearby hotel facilities. A good example is that guests at the Bay Club in Waikoloa do not have access to the pool at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikoloa. However, Hilton has always permitted guests at Hilton developed properties to have courtesy access to the nearby hotel facilities. Therefore, guests at Kingsland and HGVC Waikoloa Beach Resort do have courtesy access to the pool at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikoloa. During our stay at HGVC at Hilton Hawaiian Village Lagoon Tower Oahu, we were able to bill our meals at the hotel to our timeshare room. During our stay at HGVC at the Las Vegas Hilton, we were also able to bill our meals at the hotel to our timeshare room. We ate most our meals at the Hilton Hotel Restaurants as a result of these courtesies.

I think it is very counterproductive for Marriott and Starwood to do anything that would discourage the use of their hotel facilities. We who use timeshares also stay in hotels, go to conventions, weddings, and anniversary parties. I am currently considering attending a meeting at the JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale this March. Perhaps we should consider moving future Scottsdale meetings to the Hilton or the Doubletree resorts.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Question is to Fredm

Do you feel that the value of the DSV 1 will now be reduced because of this decision? When we purchased this particular timeshare, the push was because of the "villa amenity", The Spa.

No, I don't.

jcr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of not maintaining the shuttle service and have sent Ms. Belleville an email on the subject. Since the hotel feels they will make so much more money charging a la carte prices, they should be able to afford to pick up and drop off those that would like to use their services.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is very counterproductive for Marriott and Starwood to do anything that would discourage the use of their hotel facilities. We who use timeshares also stay in hotels, go to conventions, weddings, and anniversary parties. I am currently considering attending a meeting at the JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale this March. Perhaps we should consider moving future Scottsdale meetings to the Hilton or the Doubletree resorts.

This is not Marriott doing anything, this is Host which owns the hotel doing this.

I would not worry about Canyon Villas/Desert Ridge since Desert Ridge is one of the few Marriott's owned by Marriott. (and one of Mr. Marriott's favorite)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
And don't forget Marriott owns few, if any of the timeshares either. They are owned by the HOAs, and managed by Marriott.

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Response from Susan Belleville on behalf of the HOA

Thank you for your email and feedback. We too were very disappointed with the outcome or the lack of an Agreement with the Hotel Owner, Host. Your Board worked very hard to establish something and it just didn’t happen. I have sent your email to the Board of Directors for them to see your suggestion and comments as they proceed. We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation.

Sincerely,

Susan Belleville

General Manager

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas

760-779-1201 (direct phone #)

susan.belleville@vacationclub.com

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales Pitch for Use of Pool

When we stayed at Westin a few years ago, we took their sales tour. A main part of the sales pitch was that owners would have the right to use the pools at the Westin. They told us that the bus service would bring us right to the hotel and have towels for our use. We almost bought a TS from Westin because we love the pools at the hotel.

Instead we bought at Marriott because we prefer its location. We would be really upset with Westin if we had purchased a TS and we were then excluded from the hotel pools. What a ripoff!

elizfield

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just how much is the daily fee?

If I understand correctly their is a daily fee to use the pools and gym (I assume the gym), how much is it?

As for the comments about it being suitable for small children, I was there over a weekend and the Saturday was full of the types of people described above but the Sunday was calm and nice. I was actually staying at the hotel and it was old and poorly run.

slamdunk

Reaction score
Marriott Desert Springs Villas I

We've owned 2 weeks since the late 90's. A couple years ago the Spa & workout facilities were closed for renovation. We work out daily and use the steam, showers, etc. We have waited in line for over an hour to check in. The past two years we were placed in units quite far from the ones we requested; but were moved- not fun. Every time we call or ask about procedures regarding requests, we get a different answer. It has been a hassle.

I don't imagine our expenses will decrease to offset the increased usage fee. There was no mention of this in the letter. The cost of the Spa, pool, workout, etc is $175/week for a couple. This isn't bad, but it's unexpected and no mention was made of the negotiations when we booked our late March vacation.

We may need to use our 1.2 million points and begin selling our units. I do not think the organization is the same as it was when we bought.

If Marriott does not enter into the negotiations in support of MVCI owners, what is the benefit of having Marriott's name on anything?