• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG changes for 2010

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a concern at all.

People go all over the internet believing whatever they want to believe, they talk to people at work, on line at the grocery store, thru Facebook, etc. If someone cares enuf about a subject, they will do their research and not rely on something said by one anonymous person (altho, some people do ignore caveat emptor and always will).

It's extremely rare that I take a moderator post on any board with more "ooomph" just because they're a mod. and if that were the case, wouldn't it mean that I would value what you say even less because you aren't a mod? I guess I don't see a problem, but admit that titles have never meant anything to me, online or in real life. There is no implied credibility. There is instead a website role.

I think the other thing here is, where is the line drawn between opinion and endorsement? If I'm not being paid, I don't feel I'm "endorsing" (I just raved about the Magic Bullet and have zero stake in whether someone buys one or not - my opinion is that it's great and I would recommend it, but, I do not believe I endorsed it simply because I believe that's a paid arrangement but wonder what hte legal definition is???)

First, we're talking about legal liability here... it IS possible for a forum to be sued if the forum officers/owners endorse certain products and/or bad-mouth others. I'm not saying whether they would win or not, but there might be some liability... especially if it was allowed to continue over a period of time.

Here's the definition of the word endorsement:
To give approval of or support to, especially by public statement.

So, I don't want to get into a debate over what the word endorsement means vs. opinion.

What if you were a TUG member and happened to have a business entity that was a competitor of a business that continually received endorsements from TUG owners/moderators? What if a moderator provided advice to someone to rescind a specific developer contract? Could TUG be sued by Mariott, Wyndham, etc.??? I don't know... It has the potential to get ugly and it really could be easily solved with a rule keeping moderators out of that role. Also, it would be best to find the answers from an attorney. I'm just raising it as a potential issue.

Please read my statement at the end of my earlier post that states if Brian doesn't see it as a concern, then it is definitely not my concern. I am huge TUG supporter and really appreciate this group! :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
First, we're talking about legal liability here... it IS possible for a forum to be sued if the forum officers/owners endorse certain products and/or bad-mouth others. I'm not saying whether they would win or not, but there might be some liability... especially if it was allowed to continue over a period of time.

Here's the definition of the word endorsement:
To give approval of or support to, especially by public statement.

So, I don't want to get into a debate over what the word endorsement means vs. opinion.

What if you were a TUG member and happened to have a business entity that was a competitor of a business that continually received endorsements from TUG owners/moderators? What if a moderator provided advice to someone to rescind a specific developer contract? Could TUG be sued by Mariott, Wyndham, etc.??? I don't know... It has the potential to get ugly and it really could be easily solved with a rule keeping moderators out of that role. Also, it would be best to find the answers from an attorney. I'm just raising it as a potential issue.

Please read my statement at the end of my earlier post that states if Brian doesn't see it as a concern, then it is definitely not my concern. I am huge TUG supporter and really appreciate this group! :)

the individual would have to stand to gain financially...and in regards to the TUGBBS forums...it makes zero profit either way.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG is the best!!!

I am in total support of the new changes..............I know you would only make them if they needed to be in place! I too come here daily and am trying to get my TUG PhD. :) Where else could I get information like this and take my family on wonderful vacations that we could never afford without all this knowledge. And learning this stuff is FUN b/c this forum makes it easy! I think it has saved me way more $$$ then I have paid in!
Thanks so much for all the hard work, and I value everyones opinions and look forward to reading them each day! Please keep them comming. :clap:

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the hours and hours you and all the volunteers put in to keep us on top of the timeshare game. My favorite is the reviews/rankings.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also shocked that people would threaten to sue TUG for the comments posted here. However this is a litigious society we live in. I will happily pay the added cost for the value I receive here on TUG. Keep up the good work.

Joan:cheer:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to also thank Brian and all the volunteers.

I love the reviews/rankings the best.

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't visit the TUG site as often as a lot of members do (based on the preceding posts), but I have found my TUG membership to be one of the best values I get for my money. TUG would be a bargain to me at twice the price. The reviews are invaluable when I'm searching for a nice resort in a given area, and the exchange and resale sections are very valuable as well. Two posters mention getting their "Time Share PH D" via TUG, and I would have to agree that I have learned more about time shares from TUG than from all other sources combined. Thank you for maintaining the site, Brian, and I don't expect you will receive many (if any) complaints about the small fee increases.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I've got to say is that IF these fees keep continually increasing, I'm just going to have to place my TUG membership into my LLC... and you don't want to know what happens next...

:hysterical:

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
TUG continues to be a great bargain, both for the timeshare information as well as the general "life" questions that get posted and answered here every day. Thanks for this wonderful resource.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I also check TUG first thing in the morning and several times during the day. I couldn't remember when my membership comes up for renewal, so I checked. I set up a reminder to renew at the end of February for another 3 years! It is a bargain. I have learned so much and found many friends here. I have also had the chance to meet some in person.:)

Thanks for all the hard work. I help as an administrator on a small forum, so I cannot imagine how much time you spend on this one.

dtdt

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tug is the #1 resource .

Tug is the #1 resource for me. I have 3 timeshares, and consult TUG numerous times a year. Thanks for the good job! Well worth $15 a year. :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As one TUG addict to the rest of you: TUG membership is a bargain at twice- oh, I mean 50% more- the price... :)

Jim Ricks

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawyers

....The past few years, one extremely large expense new expense for TUG has developed, and this is legal fees.

While I cannot discuss details (obviously), I can say that it costs tug many thousands of dollars a year to defend your right to post your opinions here without censorship.

Many of these companies that prey on the uneducated and or gullible, do not like to see the truth about them posted on a public timeshare owners site that is readily available via google searches for their company name...and in attempts to get us to alter or remove said posts, sick their lawyers on us....

I hate those pesky lawyers!!! I really do.

We have a right to express our opinions - and yes, the Constitution gurantees that we can do so. Thank you for paying the price to protect our rights.

Now that I'm retired, I'm writing a mystery novel. Guess who the dark and evil villians are in my book? Lawyers!!!! I know where all the bones are buried and I'm happy to reveal the truth.

[As I've said before, I'll probably spend many centuries in Purgatory - or worse - for the years I spent practicing law. Shakespeare was right.]

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was also shocked that people would threaten to sue TUG for the comments posted here. However this is a litigious society we live in. I will happily pay the added cost for the value I receive here on TUG. Keep up the good work.

We should all be thankful that TUG in the form of Brian, has the financial ability to stand up to those threatening legal action. I know of at least one forum where one group of companies can't even be mentioned because they have threatened legal action and the site owner can't afford to take a chance on them bluffing.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will always support this web site and that is why we renewed our membership today for an additional 3 years.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also check TUG first thing in the morning and several times during the day. I couldn't remember when my membership comes up for renewal, so I checked. I set up a reminder to renew at the end of February for another 3 years! It is a bargain. I have learned so much and found many friends here. I have also had the chance to meet some in person.:)

Thanks for all the hard work. I help as an administrator on a small forum, so I cannot imagine how much time you spend on this one.

Still learning here. Where did you check your membership renewal information? Thank you.

Kazy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my thanks for all you do. When we bought our timeshares, we were completely lost as to what to do. The developer was only superficially helpful with learning the system. I discovered TUG by searching the internet for more information and have found it to be invaluable. My friends think that I am a timeshare expert! lol I owe it to all the great people here who are so willing to share their time and expertise.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Still learning here. Where did you check your membership renewal information? Thank you.

I started at the TUG Home page and clicked on Resort Reviews because I knew that I would have to log in there. When I logged in, at My TUG, my name popped up and below it it said "Membership is valid through 3/1/2010."

http://tug2.com/TUGMembers/Login.aspx is the Link

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Brian and all the Tug Volunteers,

Happy New Year and thanks for all your efforts to help make Tug the great resource that it is, not only for Timeshare information but for life information as well.

A Huge Tug Fan,

Richard

catcher24

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hey Brian. If people are having a difficult time finding the renewal location you might want to consider putting a link to the renewal page on the home page. A small separate link near the top or on one side. Just a thought.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it this morning. It's on the front page right after logging on.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I found it this morning. It's on the front page right after logging on.

there is a link on the left side of the homepage, as well as when anyone tries to log in and their membership is expired.

its also in the renewal emails sent out...and I made this page for simple reference as well:

http://renewal.tug2.net

geekette

Reaction score
I hate those pesky lawyers!!! I really do.

We have a right to express our opinions - and yes, the Constitution gurantees that we can do so. Thank you for paying the price to protect our rights.

Now that I'm retired, I'm writing a mystery novel. Guess who the dark and evil villians are in my book? Lawyers!!!! I know where all the bones are buried and I'm happy to reveal the truth.

[As I've said before, I'll probably spend many centuries in Purgatory - or worse - for the years I spent practicing law. Shakespeare was right.]

Please let me know when you get it published - I love a good mystery!!

islandhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great site, well worth a membership

I just found this site yesterday..and have spent hours on here already. Today I signed up for a 3 year membership. I have learned more about timeshares than I ever thought possible, where were you 17 years ago when we first bought?? :) If you haven't become a member yet, trust me, its well worth it !:cheer: