• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Closest Marriott to Hearst Castle?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like there is any too close. We're coming down the PCH from SF so don't want to veer to far from there. I checked Marriott site and didn't see any very close.

What about any other hotel chain? Any insight would be appreciated.

linmcginn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
San Luis Bay Inn in Avila Beach Ca. is 52 miles away from Hearst Castle. Avila Beach is located 3 miles off HWY 101 between San Luis Obispo and Pismo Beach.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we visited Hearst Castle we stayed in Cambria at a Best Western. Plain, but it suited our needs for just one night.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Courtyard off hwy 101 in San Luis Obispo which we stayed at a few times the past 2 yrs.

There is also a Courtyard off hwy 101 in Paso Robles (off Spring Street) which is the closest Marriott to Hearst Castle. It will take about a 45 min drive along hwy 46 to get from one to the other.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different Ideas

Here are a few ideas you might check out:

Just North of San Simion, on PCH, is Ragged Point. We stopped there for lunch and walked around the complex. The rooms are situated on cliffs overlooking the ocean. We intend to stay there in the future to check it out. Their Website:

http://www.raggedpointinn.com/lodging.htm

There aren't any chain hotels in San Simeon. It is mostly older motels. Hearst Castle has its own website with a listing of accomodations. By the way, be sure and make reservations for the tours you want.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

San Luis Obsibo is the nearest large city. Be sure and stop at the Madonna Inn and eat at its restaurant. Good food. And why not stay there for the night? It's really a fun place.

http://www.ask.com/web?&o=101881&l=dis&q=madonna inn san luis obispo

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we stayed in a great Motel 6 in San Simeon, right across from the ocean, a converted Holiday Inn, so inside corridors, a restaurant on site. We got a room with an ocean view for about $65 a night!
Liz

craftr

Reaction score
Best Western in San Simeon is Fantastic-Best Western Cavailier

I can't recommend highly enough the Best Western in San Simeon. It is called the Best Western Cavalier.

First of all, I travel on business and only stay in Marriotts, Starwoods and Hilton's and normally turn my nose up at anything else.....which has turned about to be stupid after staying at this place before visiting the castle.

It looks like a traditional Best Western but the rooms are actually quite upscale with fireplaces, great bedding and very nice decor. On the beach they have fire pits they light each night and benches that you can sit out on and see and hear the power of the surf.

The restaurant, again looking like a basic old motel restaurant had great food and I would daresay (is that how you spell daresay?) , somewhat gourmet food and the staff was very down to earth and friendly. I am so glad we ate there instead of driving to another restaurant.

The location can't be beat as it is within just a few miles of the Castle visitor's center.

Lastly, the price we paid was very reasonable.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that Best Western was the Motel 6, which had been Holiday Inn. It sounds like the same place and we went many years ago.
Liz

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend highly enough the Best Western in San Simeon. It is called the Best Western Cavalier.

First of all, I travel on business and only stay in Marriotts, Starwoods and Hilton's and normally turn my nose up at anything else.....which has turned about to be stupid after staying at this place before visiting the castle.

It looks like a traditional Best Western but the rooms are actually quite upscale with fireplaces, great bedding and very nice decor. On the beach they have fire pits they light each night and benches that you can sit out on and see and hear the power of the surf.

The restaurant, again looking like a basic old motel restaurant had great food and I would daresay (is that how you spell daresay?) , somewhat gourmet food and the staff was very down to earth and friendly. I am so glad we ate there instead of driving to another restaurant.

The location can't be beat as it is within just a few miles of the Castle visitor's center.

Lastly, the price we paid was very reasonable.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Great info. I just booked a night for $109 AAA rate.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, you'll want to stay close by- like in San Simeon.They run several different tours so if you are close, you can catch more than one in a day. Strikes me that we did 3 in one day or maybe it was one in the evening, then went back the next day and caught 2 more. I recall staying in a Best Western that served our needs well.

Jim