• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dramatic Expansion at MOC?

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from Marriott's MOC and it says, among other things:

"Marriott is bringing even more luxury to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club, with a dramatic expansion of the resort that will provide more amenities and enhance ownership options unrivaled in the islands."

Anyone know what expansion is planned at MOC???

We will be there Saturday!!!! However, we are not interested in being subjected to the salespersons' hype (a kind way to describe their presentations) so I'm hoping someone else can tell me if expansion is truly in the works.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most likely it is the continuation of the expansion that began in 2006.

With the dramatic expansion of our resort in 2006, we will provide new pleasures, enhanced amenities and Ownership options that are unrivaled in the Islands.

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the MOC now and went on the short tour this morning. If you are a Marriott owner or former one, they will give a short tour, NO award, and give you pricing and a tour of the new Napili Tower. The big upgrade is they are redecorating the orignial towers in the same style and quality as the new Napili and Lahina towers. Of course, they will not have the full kitchens and laundry facilites, but the units will be nicer. They expect the upgrades to take about a year and will be done by sections. A lot will be done the week after Thanksgiving and a lot next May. The expect to sell out the Napili Tower by May 2010. The Lahina Tower is already sold out.

They are having a promotion this week with 15-20% off, depending on purchase price. I just looked a Redweek and the Marriott's prices are close. The salesman I talked with mentioned Ebay and Redweek so they are checking our the resale market and pricing accordingly. He also knows that converting a MOC to points is not a good and they may be dismissing that in their pricing points. You do get points for a purchase and the point option. Of course my opinion didn't change, don't buy from a developer. If one hasn't checked. the Napili Tower only has Ocean Front and Island/Mountain View. You CANNOT see the ocean from those views. So if seeing the ocean is important, spend the bucks for the Ocean Front if so inclined.

Hope this helps,

Aloha,

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Gary,

I would be interested in a photo of what they have planned for the old suites. Do they have a model available to view?

Jim

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the MOC now and went on the short tour this morning. If you are a Marriott owner or former one, they will give a short tour, NO award, and give you pricing and a tour of the new Napili Tower. The big upgrade is they are redecorating the orignial towers in the same style and quality as the new Napili and Lahina towers. Of course, they will not have the full kitchens and laundry facilites, but the units will be nicer. They expect the upgrades to take about a year and will be done by sections. A lot will be done the week after Thanksgiving and a lot next May. The expect to sell out the Napili Tower by May 2010. The Lahina Tower is already sold out...

Hmmm. The OP's message states "dramatic expansion".

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's not going to be anymore buildings, they are landlocked. The salesmen didn't mention any external changes, of course the Lanai and Moloki Towers have a new exterior paint jobs. The brochure picture I have doesn't do justice to the actual new rooms. They have completed one Ocean Front in the new decor and that's they one they show. New furniture, carpets, appliances, granite, new color combination, a total redo. I've liked the MOC, now it looks like it should, a first class facility. True, it doesn't have everything a purpose built unit has, but if you're that picky, don't trade into it, that leaves more for the rest of us. Forgot one thing, the laundry room on the ground floor is now free. You still get to provide the soap.

Parking in the garage is free for all owners and traders, if you're renting, you get to pay for parking. Valet is $12 per day for all. I think owners used to be free, but with the new parking garage that's gone. Depends on how much you like the convience.

Hope that helps. I'm leaving Friday the 22nd. If anyone has any questions, send them on.

Aloha,

markbernstein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the MOC now and went on the short tour this morning. If you are a Marriott owner or former one, they will give a short tour, NO award, and give you pricing and a tour of the new Napili Tower.

We were there last week, and for doing the tour and sales pitch they gave us 15,000 points. (That was the rate for an afternoon appointment - mornings only gave 10K.) And they offered four alternative incentives: two rounds of golf, two massages, two tickets on a whale watching cruise, or $75 in resort credit. Maybe the "no award" is for Ocean Club owners? (We own at Oceana Palms.)

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last week, and for doing the tour and sales pitch they gave us 15,000 points. (That was the rate for an afternoon appointment - mornings only gave 10K.) And they offered four alternative incentives: two rounds of golf, two massages, two tickets on a whale watching cruise, or $75 in resort credit. Maybe the "no award" is for Ocean Club owners? (We own at Oceana Palms.)

If you want the full blown 90 minute tour you get the goodies, I didn't want the full thing so I blew off the award and took the short tour and got the information I needed.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Postponed

The big upgrade is they are redecorating the orignial towers in the same style and quality as the new Napili and Lahina towers.

From Mark Neumann's (President, Board of Directors) recent letter to Owners:
"The Board has made the decision to postpone for one year the refurbishment of Maui Ocean Club I, i.e. the Lanai, Molokai and Maui towers. This decision by the Board was made due to the potential impact on our reserves due to the State’s taxation against the Tidy Fees and the General Excise Tax {GET}; the consequences thereof which at this time we have no way of knowing what the court’s ruling will be. Until this is resolved, the Board will continually monitor this lawsuit and our reserves and if needed, will only expend monies for projects deemed necessary."

Last edited:

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
"The Board has made the decision to postpone for one year the refurbishment of Maui Ocean Club I, i.e. the Lanai, Molokai and Maui towers. This decision by the Board was made due to the potential impact on our reserves due to the State’s taxation against the Tidy Fees and the General Excise Tax {GET}; the consequences thereof which at this time we have no way of knowing what the court’s ruling will be. Until this is resolved, the Board will continually monitor this lawsuit and our reserves and if needed, will only expend monies for projects deemed necessary."

I just got thru reading the GET discussion an the post concerning the MOC tax issue. Maybe they need to pass this information on to the sales force here at the MOC.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny Omission

"The Board has made the decision to postpone for one year the refurbishment of Maui Ocean Club I, i.e. the Lanai, Molokai and Maui towers.

Funny how the literature I just received from Marriott - which promotes the "dramatic expansion of the resort that will provide more amenities and enhance options unrivaled in the Islands" fails to disclose the fact that the expansion has been postponed.

The letter from Marriott makes it sound like Marriott is going to pay for a big expansion - not the present owners through their association and MFs. Also, no mention in the literature about the high property taxes.

I would not want to suggest that Marriott's sales literature is a bit misleading.

Shame on Marriott. I think I'll skip their invitation to visit their "Welcome Center" and "confirm" my "personal appointment" with their sales rep (strange, I don't remember making a "personal appointment"):crash: