• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Survey on new points program: Are you going to sign up?

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
1. No

2. Developer

3. Maui Ocean Club (MMO) - Mountain View - Platinum (every year)
Mountainside (MOU) - Gold (every year)

4. I will primarily occupy my home resorts as before. Occasional exchanges through II. I will exchange to non-Marriott's if II Marriott inventory disappears, but I'm betting that Marriott will want my Maui week if it appears on II as a reserve-first trade.

(Given that Marriott will no longer sell deeded-weeks, I plan to seriously explore the purchase of a fixed week at Disney Ko Olina when sales begin. The option of purchasing a resale Marriott deeded week exists, but I'm afraid Marriott has lost my trust regarding any future purchases.)

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
So as you ponder your decision you might consider you have the best of both worlds here - you retain a deed to a very nice Marriott resort and can put that deed up for one-year Vacation Points that allow you access to the world's largest Destination Club as of 6/21/10.

At least that's what I've deduced Marriott did - bye bye timeshares - hello Destination Club...

Bartender, I'll have what he's having!

kbreth

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Maybe later

2. Direct from Marriott

3. Silver season 2bd at Barony, Platinum 2bd at Waiohai

4. I'm going to try to trade my weeks (at least for 2011) with other owners or II before joining and then see about joining in December. We would get 6150 points if we join which seems like a good amount to go elsewhere.

terryfic

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Are you going to join the new system

2. if so, did you buy a developer week

3. What timeshare do you own, what season, how many bedrooms

4. If you are not going to join, how will you use your week
1. NO
2. Yes- Aruba Surf Club & No - 3rd party resale week
3. ASC Gold Oceanside, 2/2
4. Continue II exchange & occupy home resort

craftr

Reaction score
Yes, to new program...........

1. Yes
2. Yes, Developer
3. Timberlodge Platinum Summer-2 Bedroom-3350 points
4. N.A.
I am looking forward to not being forced to trade for an entire week in one location.....for example, I would like to go to Hilton Head Island for 4 nights and then as a Marriott Platinum use my Marriott Rewards Points for nights in Charleston or Savannah if they have Marriotts....I felt restricted by the week at a time vacations I was compelled to take under the old program and think that points will be a good fit.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
1. No, unless I can be convinced there is some real value in the new points system for us, and I sure don't see it now.

2. Yes, we bought from Marriott (that was pre-TUG)

3. DSV2, White (Gold) season, 2 BR lockoff (worth only 2150 points in Marriott's estimation)

4. Since we bought direct, we have always traded for Marriott Reward points every other year (and had some wonderful international vacations). We'll likely continue to do that. When we reserve the timeshare (every other year), I'll continue to try to trade within Interval as I have in the past. If it gets difficult in the future, I'll either jump ship and use another exchange company or look into direct owner-to-owner trades. The Marriott resorts we've visited have been of uniformly high quality, but we've also been to several non-Marriotts that were very nice, and those trades should still be possible.

5. Here's question 5: will we buy more points from Marriott or additional Marriott timeshares on the resale market? Nope. Even if I could be convinced that the points program is a winner, the cost of additional points is high compared to the value I think we would get from them. And buying a resale Marriott timeshare doesn't look that attractive now. I feel the same as poster #126 - Marriott has lost my trust.

Last edited:

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
no

1. No

2. Developer/resale

3. KoOlina (MKO) - Ocean View - Plantinum (every year)(developer)
Maui Ocean Club (MM1) - Ocean View - Platinum (odd year)(resale)

4. I will primarily occupy my home resorts as before. Occasional exchanges through II.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
No

No

2. Did you buy a developer week
Developer

Desert Springs II Blue Week 2 bedroom lockoff

We will continue to reserve our week, lock it off and exchange each week with II

chubster22

Reaction score
NO

NO

YES

Frenchman's Cove 2 bedroom Silver season
Lakeshore Reserve 2 bedroom deluxe Plat

Continue to trade with II

kedler

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Joined the new system today

2. We own two developer & two resale

3. 4 - 2 Bdrms. 2 Gold - Aruba Surf Club EOY & Grande Vista (developer). 2 Bronze - Harbour Point & Barony Beach (resale)

4. N/A

Bear1980

Reaction score
1. No

2. Developer.

3. Odd Year Maui Ocean Club Ocean Front 2 bedroom, and Even Year Maui Ocean Club Ocean View 1 bedroom.

4. With Maui, I use the weeks. I don't want to trade them unless I have no choice. I'll rent before I exchange. I like to use II for Getaway rates, which are a steal.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
1 No

2 Bought Marriott HP Resale From Marriott 2b 2ba(650 pts under DC)$ 599 to join

Bought Marriott Barony Gold reseller 2bd 2 BA (2700 pts under DC $1495 to join)

3 Bought with the intent not to trade Barony. Bought HP to stay or for internal Marriott trade

Not worth it to join the points program for BB week/2700 pts. In DC program would cost me 500 more points or 3250 to go Memorial Day week he Breakeven is 15 yrs for the way I vacation now.

It makes sense for those who vacation many times a year and own multiple Developer weeks.

Last edited:

cruz-in

TUG Member
Reaction score

1. Absolutely

2. Purcahsed Resale (not from Marriott)

3. HHI, Barony Beach, Platinum, 2BR/2BA, OV

4. N/A

Given our vacation preferances, having purchased resale, reasonable maintenance fees at BB, and BB Platinum OV having a rather high point value....I think it is a good (not great) deal for us...

Last edited:

Hawkwin

Reaction score
1. Are you going to join the new system Already did.
2. if so, did you buy a developer week I currently own two weeks at the Grand Chat. in Vegas and Ocean something or another at Myrtle.

3. What timeshare do you own, what season, how many bedrooms See above, two bedroom for both units.

4. If you are not going to join, how will you use your week I will continue to use interval occasionally but I am really hoping to completely avoid Interval (I hate their website).

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO!

Am I going to join? HELL NO!!!

As my grandmother use to say: fool me once: shame on you; fool me twice: shame on me.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enrolled today

Yes

MFC three Plat 2b; MPB one Plat 2b OS, two Silver 2b OF, one 3b OF

NA

I'll convert all of the MPB weeks to points. I'll then split the point usage between MPB and either a Caribbean resort or one in Hawaii. The MFC weeks aren't big point generators so I'll probably never convert them although I enrolled all the weeks.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
YES - not sure when
Yes

MMC (Manor Club (orig), Platinum, 2BD, non-lockoff)

NA

We are pretty much not going to convert our unit to DC points, BUT if we do it will be for the times we want a "sure bet" reservation; but, we know for places we would probably visit, we will be seriously downgrading ourselves (e.g. for a Sun-Sat (6 nights) 1BD Ko Olina Ocean View during high (NOT peak) time).

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

Gave it a chance until today. Now it's official:

No.

• The "system" is just an exchange company

• The exchange company charges me $2K to enroll vs. free enrollment with II and SFX

• The Marriott exchange system is expensive on an ongoing basis - $200 per year plus ~200 points skim ($100) per NCV Plat week

• Skim guaratees every trade is a "downtrade"

• No direct access to trust inventory

• And the worst part (that sealed the deal) is that, even if I was willing to live with all that, there is no "request first". Waitlisting necessitates conversion to points, loss of week reservation, incurring skim, with no possibility to reverse transaction. $2K to enroll and no "request first"?

Resale

NCV

Use, rent, or trade in II.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Chances are zero to none.

N/A, though bought resale

Two 2BR Orlando weeks. Harbour Lake and Grande Vista gold.
Continue to lock off and trade through II. In most cases trading in to a larger unit but equal or lower demand week.

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
Won't be joining.

Own HP resale fixed week 30. Which I think will still trade pretty decent with II.

Own SW bronze week bought from Marriott as a trader that gets no points.

So, my decision was easy.

Finding that as the kids get older we need less timeshare weeks so we are downsizing.

And with DVC coming to Koolina, we have options.

jen

cruisin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gave it a chance until today. Now it's official:

• The exchange company charges me $2K to enroll vs. free enrollment with II and SFX

• No direct access to trust inventory

• And the worst part (that sealed the deal) is that, even if I was willing to live with all that, there is no "request first". Waitlisting necessitates conversion to points, loss of week reservation, incurring skim, with no possibility to reverse transaction. $2K to enroll and no "request first"?

• These are a big deal to me also, I struggle, I have 3 lockoffs, fees savings would be nice, As marriott adds fees in the future and changes point totals, it seems less worth doing more and more. The waitlisting part really does hurt, and the thought of them eventually choosing the weeks they deposit for you, maybe not even being able to search II with my weeks myself, etc. etc. etc.

toocherie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that Marriott will no longer sell deeded-weeks, I plan to seriously explore the purchase of a fixed week at Disney Ko Olina when sales begin. The option of purchasing a resale Marriott deeded week exists, but I'm afraid Marriott has lost my trust regarding any future purchases.)

Disney is and always has been a points (not a fixed week) system.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Pretty sure not.

1BR and 2BR Timberlodge (summer) and EOY 2BR Ko Olina (OV)...all developer weeks.

We will use both TL weeks eoy with all the kids/grand-kids.
We will use the 1BR KO for us.
We will deposit with II the KO lockoff.
We will depost with II the eoy TL weeks.

Most of our trading with II will be outside Marriott (Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.) so we would have to pay the $149 deposit in the points system...that pretty much made us opt out of it. Based on our last 5 year usage (and if we repeated that in the future), it would have been close to a 10 year pay-back w/out the external trade fee.

Steve

reedps

TUG Member
Reaction score
-Not planning on joining
-Grande Vista (2 bd, platinum) bought resale.
-Will continue to use II or occupy our unit.

Someone said it best in another thread when they said that cash is the ultimate in flexibility. I'd rather give up my timeshare and pay to rent where I want to go, when I want to go, than join the new system. If I joined, I would not have near enough points to be able to make the trades I have been used to (Aruba, Hawaii, HHI, Newport, Orlando). I would not consider buying more points. I'd be better off buying another resale in a location I want to use every year.