• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What incentives would entice you to change your week for points?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this covered somewhere else? If so, I'm sorry as I didn't see it.

I was told that with our 7 weeks and 28,575 points we're in a small percentage of the total Marriott owner pool. That got me to thinking--"If they want my weeks to add to their potential trading inventory, I'd like an incentive to smooth over the "skim"." Something like the AC senario from II. Only better :D

Then I wondered what would entice others to trade their weeks for points.

What would entice you? Let's be reasonable as you never know who may be watching and something reasonable may actually be considered and implemented.

Last edited:

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was told that with our 7 weeks and 28,575 points we're in a small percentage of the total Marriott owner pool. That got me to thinking--"If they want my weeks to add to their potential trading inventory, I'd like an incentive to smooth over the "skim"." Something like the AC senario from II. Only better :D

What would entice you? Let's be reasonable as you never know who may be watching.

Nothing. We will not trade in our week for points.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not interested in exchanging for points.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they had something like flexchange for points. For example, all units available within 60 days of check in would be offered at a very reduced rate for the week: a studio is 1000, 1bd is 1500 and a 2bd is 2000 points.

This would make me consider trading in my unit at least once to try to get a couple of those last minute exchanges. People have to have some way of trading up to feel they got a good deal/value.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score

What would entice you? Let's be reasonable as you never know who may be watching and something reasonable may actually be considered and implemented.

I do not think there is any incentive to make me want to change to points.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
Nothing. Any incentive from marriott at this point is a short term deal that will reduce owner's value going forward, just as point value has deteriorated 50% in 10 years.:eek:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
How bout a 20% point bonus to compensate for the skim and thank people for trying their new system? :hysterical:

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, reversing the skim would satisfy a lot of people. However, even if the skim does not exist, you still lose your chance to upgrade (1bdrm to 2 bdrm) and (lower demand resort for a higher demand resort).

Plus, if you want to add to your portfolio in the future, points are expensive and the M/Fs are VERY expensive. Then you end up with a mixed bag of point timeshare and regular deeded timeshares, paying lots of fees to manage both sets.

I am yet to see convincing evidence that the point program is the way to go, unless you get excited about Sunday through Thursday stays, or you just have the big bucks and want to make 100% sure that you are getting your super prime week at the highest demand resort.

Flexchanges within the point system would at least be a bone that would convince many to join. 800 one time bonus points entice, but you will miss them in year two or pay dearly for them. The points program is an excellent way for Marriott to make money with the current set of properties.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Allow weeks resold after June 20 to enroll in the point program. If Marriott had a clear path to inplament that, I might consider.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this would definitely win me over, but:

• lower MF for points
  • the ability to pool week points and trust points
  • immortal points (points that don't expire)

Charles

taffy19

Reaction score
I don't know if this would definitely win me over, but:
  • lower MF for points
  • the ability to pool week points and trust points
  • immortal points (points that don't expire)
Charles
Some very good suggestions here. I know that uptrading is no longer possible and that doesn't sit well with many people here but you can stay longer in off seasons which is a big advantage too. This is great for retired people. Also the shorter stay of five days like Perry did already. It would be an option to add to a regular week if you have to fly to your destination and have the time to do it, of course.

Pens_Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
They pay me $1,000,000 for the opportunity to have my week.

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Allow owners who bought resale to permanently change to the points system. None of this. . .you can buy into the points program for more money than owners who bought through Marriott, but if you sell your unit you are not allowed to sell the points system you bought into. :annoyed: Pam

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
No cost to join

Ability to lock off my unit and only convert part to points each year if desired with no expiration of points (or ability to roll over an extra year for a small fee).

Ability to buy destination points with my Marriott Rewards points

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Because i don't want to own a bunch of points instead of weeks, I have absolutely no interest in points and see no reason to change anything from what I've been doing successfully for all these years with II. I'll remain an outsider and they won't get their hands on my 6 weeks.

Brian

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because i don't want to own a bunch of points instead of weeks, I have absolutely no interest in points and see no reason to change anything from what I've been doing successfully for all these years with II. I'll remain an outsider and they won't get their hands on my 6 weeks.

Brian

I'm with you Brian, my only concern is the trust somehow get control of the inventory and weeks owners get screwed out of the prime weeks they could usually get prior to points. So far early indications are points owners are getting short end of the stick, and not us weeks owners. Only time will tell how this ultimately ends up.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score

Brian

Me too Brian and I can change that status, if need be, at any time.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow the intent I had with the original post has been lost in translation.

I enrolled in the new system mostly to avoid the pesky fees. II, trading for rewards points, change and lock-off. Second to that was the opportunity to trade even my resale weeks for Rewards Points. Last was the opportunity to utilize the point system, especially now that I read about the success of a Wed. -Wed exchange in order to grab frequent flyer seats. But trading for DC points wasn't the first reason I enrolled.

The original intent of the thread was directed towards those who have also enrolled, but like me, aren't being quick to trade in a week for DC points. What kind of bonus would make you deposit and get on a waitlist?

Suzzanne

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
The original intent of the thread was directed towards those who have also enrolled, but like me, aren't being quick to trade in a week for DC points. What kind of bonus would make you deposit and get on a waitlist?

Suzzanne

If I were to enroll (I'm not) I would never get on a waitlist. In fact, this is the main reason I decided to not enroll...

I understand now that points are not really points and it's an exchange system... that's all fine and dandy and I could even get used to that idea, but the only way I am canceling my home resort reservation and incurring the cost of the skim is a guarantee I'm getting the exchange I want. No waitlist, unless I get to keep my week in the process.

If that means Marriott puts 2 million points in the exchange company or gives us the option to "request first" (keep the week to use or rent until waitlist clears) then that's what it will take. Only then I'd even consider enrolling and paying them anything.

AlanAuerbach

TUG Member
Reaction score
or you just have the big bucks and want to make 100% sure that you are getting your super prime week at the highest demand resort.

Not that I have the big bucks, but how would the point system help me do that?