• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Q/A merged] At Grand Vista now might ask "point man" questions. Do you have any?

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we are finishing up 2 weeks in a 3 and then 2 bedroom with our AC's from Aruba Surf. They have a short meeting you can go to to ask about points. I have been reading the past few months and trying to understand. We have a resale Oceanside (bought several years ago) and at this point expect to keep it and hope II will still have inventory. We were able to trade to Hawaii July 4th 2009 and got Marbella this June and a last minute AC in Andulucia. Since we primarily bought to use we will stay as is.

Anyone have any questions for us to ask if we can set a time to meet with the sales rep??

Sue

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure what else could be asked that hasn't already been asked. And if it is asked again, there is no guaranty that the correct or same answer would be provided.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points Cost For One Week

I've raised a question in several threads and haven't received any response. My question is will the cost for a resort week remain the same forever?

For example, if I buy 7400 points, which is the points needed for one week OF in MOC Lahaina Tower, will my points always equal what it costs for that OF unit?

Said another way, if anyone buys enough points to stay one week at a favorite resort is there any gurantee that the points purchased will always be equal to that week? Or is Marriott free to increase the cost for a week, thus requiring the future purchase of additional points for the same week at the same resort?

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask why anyone would buy into the points program if the points program does not transfer to a potential buyer (if you had to resell)?

It is like buying a BMW 5-series and when and if you had to sell it, it would carry the value of a Chevy Cobalt.

This does not make financial sense.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've raised a question in several threads and haven't received any response. My question is will the cost for a resort week remain the same forever?

For example, if I buy 7400 points, which is the points needed for one week OF in MOC Lahaina Tower, will my points always equal what it costs for that OF unit?

Said another way, if anyone buys enough points to stay one week at a favorite resort is there any gurantee that the points purchased will always be equal to that week? Or is Marriott free to increase the cost for a week, thus requiring the future purchase of additional points for the same week at the same resort?

It's my understanding that while they can raise or lower the points required in any given week the total points allotted to that resort have to remain the same. If they want to raise prices they just charge more for the points to a new buyer or raise the MF to all points owners.

Hyatt just did something like this at their Carmel resort. They doubled the amount of points required to stay there and also doubled the amount of points to each owner at Carmel. It was a great deal for the owners of Carmel but not so good if you owned at another of their resorts and wanted to trade into Carmel.

I don't know enough about the legalities of Marriott's system to know if they could do this or not down the road.

WelcomeHome

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that while they can raise or lower the points required in any given week the total points allotted to that resort have to remain the same. If they want to raise prices they just charge more for the points to a new buyer or raise the MF to all points owners.

Hyatt just did something like this at their Carmel resort. They doubled the amount of points required to stay there and also doubled the amount of points to each owner at Carmel. It was a great deal for the owners of Carmel but not so good if you owned at another of their resorts and wanted to trade into Carmel.

I don't know enough about the legalities of Marriott's system to know if they could do this or not down the road.

While that's the way Disney works, Marriott eoes not have this in writing ANYWHERE to the best of my knowledge. Since I have lost all trust and respect for Marriott as a result of this new program, I would like to see this in writing somewhere before we make any assumptions. If it's not in writing, Marriott can raise points as much as they want as often as they want whenever they want - considering Marriott's new "Greed first, Customer Second" policy, I'm sure they will raise points in a heartbeat if owners have no protection in writing!

Best wishes,
David

Last edited:

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have listed the questions but the one I have that I am not really clear on is what the points represent. Is Marriott selling points tied to a specific resort? Or just points in general? Does each resort have a max of points that can be sold (like there are a max number of weeks sold) or can they sell an infinite number of points one has to find a resort for.

Will see what the sales people say. I will try to stay clam and listen. Sales people are not my favorite group to interact with...
:wave:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck

Will see what the sales people say. I will try to stay clam and listen. Sales people are not my favorite group to interact with...
:wave:

Good Luck. And leave your checkbook and credit cards in your room - Don't bring them to the sales presentation!!!

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck. And leave your checkbook and credit cards in your room - Don't bring them to the sales presentation!!!

I never have money on hand....also see no benefit for us in the points just trying to understand more. I grew up with salesman and know how to stear clear. Luckily I married a philosopher....

Really curious about what spin we will get. My husband would rather be at the pool.

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well our sales rep was a lovely women who is convinced this is the best system ever. I don't think the answers given are correct but if they are or were it might be a good system. I am doubtful for the moment.

I will highlight the posted question and provide the best answer I got...which did not always make sense to me.

Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask why anyone would buy into the points program if the points program does not transfer to a potential buyer (if you had to resell)?

It is like buying a BMW 5-series and when and if you had to sell it, it would carry the value of a Chevy Cobalt.

I was told that you can sell your points and transfer them to someone else. The rep stated that one still has a deed with "beneficiary interest."

On the other hand she did state that Marriott has no program at this time to buy points back however it is still a deed as stated above and you can sell it.

I asked where this is written and we did not get an answer.

I tried to understand (we both hold post graduate degrees...a philosopher and a therapist) and was more confused when we left than when we walked in.
:shrug:
Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score

Oh this one was even more complicated to answer.

I think we were told if you own more than 6500 points one has VIP status. And that only 3% of people will have that. She said that while the points to get a unit might in fact rise (as I suspect it might in the summer months at the Aruba Surf Club) you would still get the unit for what you originally were told you would but new point people buying into the system would not. One is buying points and not into a specific property.

However if one has less than that number of points they would not be in a VIP status. Points required for a stay will probably be adjusted at all places as time goes by (we suspect.)

On the other hand she stated that we could join the point system today for $585 and still book our Surf Club Unit as we always did as though we are doing our one week thing as we do now. She said we would also be able to trade so much easier because Marriott will not give the inventory to II.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. So we decided to go to the pool.

Basically she said there are 3 things that could happen

1-Book the unit you originally bought as you do now.

2-Exchange your unit as you do now as we do through Interval but only through their new Marriott Interval (neither of these involve points).

3-Use the points you have for that year to book anyplace through Marriott's destination program as long as you have enough points.

Financial Information...to join the program would cost us $585 onetime fee for life to register our property...there would be an annual fee of $165 that would cover membership, interval and the Marriott exchange company. The 165 covers all exchange fees as well as the membership fees to interval. The current maintenance remain the same and may be raised. One can buy additional points for $9.20 per point (1000min.)

Land Trust (not certain we got this)
Finally she said that either by joining the program or buying additional points you are participating in the Land Trust which involves all of Marriott's "unsold" property. Which she claims will give you many more opportunities.

I still have no idea where the inventory of rooms are coming from if they are not selling specific weeks at properties and wonder if we will be able to secure reservations as easy as they say. My impression was that Marriott does not need or want Interval to exist and eventually everyone will have to join the point system.

Just sharing all this info for others to compare. I will remain as we are and watch as it all unfolds before we do anything. Our oceanside unit at the Surf Club has already been devalued in Marriott's system. They have clustered the OV and OS units as one even though we paid a premium for an oceanside building.

Balloons and banners all read:
NEW DAY NEW DREAMS...............................
:ponder:

Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Responses from our meeting with a Representative at Grand Vista Today

Here are some notes you can compare from our meeting today with the Marriott Rep regarding the point program. I have included some questions that were asked by others before we met.
If this is a duplication feel free to delete.
Sue

Well our sales rep was a lovely women who is convinced this is the best system ever. I don't think the answers given are correct but if they are or were it might be a good system. I am doubtful for the moment.

I will highlight the posted question and provide the best answer I got...which did not always make sense to me.
Question #1

Response from me:

I think we were told if you own more than 6500 points one has VIP status. And that only 3% of people will have that. She said that while the points to get a unit might in fact rise (as I suspect it might in the summer months at the Aruba Surf Club) you would still get the unit for what you originally were told you would but new point people buying into the system would not. One is buying points and not into a specific property.

However if one has less than that number of points they would not be in a VIP status. Points required for a stay will probably be adjusted at all places as time goes by (we suspect.)

On the other hand she stated that we could join the point system today for $585 and still book our Surf Club Unit as we always did as though we are doing our one week thing as we do now. She said we would also be able to trade so much easier because Marriott will not give the inventory to II.

2-Exchange your unit as you do now as we do through Interval but only through their new Marriott Interval (neither of these involve points).

3-Use the points you have for that year to book anyplace through Marriott's destination program as long as you have enough points.

Financial Information...to join the program would cost us $585 onetime fee for life to register our property...there would be an annual fee of $165 that would cover membership, interval and the Marriott exchange company. The 165 covers all exchange fees as well as the membership fees to interval. The current maintenance remain the same and may be raised. One can buy additional points for $9.20 per point (1000min.)

Finally she said that either by joining the program or buying additional points you are participating in the Land Trust which involves all of Marriott's "unsold" property. Which she claims will give you many more opportunities.

I still have no idea where the inventory of rooms are coming from if they are not selling specific weeks at properties and wonder if we will be able to secure reservations as easy as they say. My impression was that Marriott does not need or want Interval to exist and eventually everyone will have to join the point system.

Just sharing all this info for others to compare. I will remain as we are and watch as it all unfolds before we do anything. Our oceanside unit at the Surf Club has already been devalued in Marriott's system. They have clustered the OV and OS units as one even though we paid a premium for an oceanside building.

Sue
................................................................................
Question #2

Answer:
I was told that you can sell your points and transfer them to someone else. The rep stated that one still has a deed with "beneficiary interest."

On the other hand she did state that Marriott has no program at this time to buy points back however it is still a deed as stated above and you can sell it.

I tried to understand (we both hold post graduate degrees...a philosopher and a therapist) and was more confused when we left than when we walked in.

Sue

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
She said we would also be able to trade so much easier because Marriott will not give the inventory to II.

Gotta love the consistency of this scare tactic. I guess we call it FUD these days?

Great choice! :D

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Effort!

Rosepoint: Thank you for asking my question and bravely trying to understand Marriott's response [and good for you for not buying into the scam].

The bottom line seems to be that Marriott will gradually drain the best weeks out of the current system and put them into a trust for the suckers who they con into buying points. Then they will increase the amount of points that it will take to acquire the weeks taken from the current system.

And during this whole process Marriott will continue to increase our MFs that they charge us for Marriott to operate "our ownership interest." Never mind that the MFs often approach the rental value of our TSs.

What a great system. I think its called a ponzi scheme.

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
................................................................................
Question #2

Answer:

Sue

Thank you for asking this. Clarity on this issue has been poor since the launch and continues to be so. If it is not important for Marriott, they must not think it is important for potential buyers and tranferees into the Destinations Program.

Enjoy your stay.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here are some notes you can compare from our meeting today with the Marriott Rep regarding the point program. I have included some questions that were asked by others before we met.
If this is a duplication feel free to delete.
Sue

Question #1

Response from me:

6500 points is only good for Premier status. That will account for the top point owners that own at most 20% of the total points. So not sure where the 3% came from. Perhaps referring to Premier plus owners that will be the highest point owners that own 5% of the points.

There is no way they will keep seperate points charts and points offering for different level of owners. "VIP" won't be treated any differently on how many points they are given for their week or how much it costs to exchange in to a resort.

It is actually harder to trade, because you need more points to make the trade. I am still skeptical that there will be less availability in II.

Sue
Question #2

Answer:

Sue

rosepointe

TUG Member
Reaction score
6500 points is only good for Premier status. That will account for the top point owners that own at most 20% of the total points. So not sure where the 3% came from. Perhaps referring to Premier plus owners that will be the highest point owners that own 5% of the points.

There is no way they will keep seperate points charts and points offering for different level of owners. "VIP" won't be treated any differently on how many points they are given for their week or how much it costs to exchange in to a resort.

It is actually harder to trade, because you need more points to make the trade. I am still skeptical that there will be less availability in II.

I am also suspecting II will still have inventory at least for the next 5 years or so.

The really sad thing for me is I think the rep was really trying to explain things and could not....

Now that my husband is retiring after 39 years at PSU we do not need high weeks for a change so I will stay with my resold week at the Aruba Surf (Oceanside.)

BTW thank you all. I did find TUG before we bought and read day and night before we made an offer. This was 5 or 6 years ago.
Sue
:cheer: