• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

When to apply for Social Security- It isn't that simple.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Fern explained that she's already getting Jerry's benefit; the question is at what age to start collecting her own benefit in its place.

I wasn't referring to Fern in particular. I was simply saying that there is a lot more to consider than just the SS payback depending on ANY person's particular situation.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
I'm not sure that most people have an income stream from investments, though it would be nice if everyone did. Personally, if I knew I was still going to be able to collect at 70 I would wait, but since I don't know, and there are no guarantees, my feeling is that I'd rather take it sooner hoping in the long run to at least collect for a longer period of time rather than trying to hold out until 70 and maybe never being able to collect at all.

geekette

Reaction score
My FRA is 67, so what's another 3 years? If it's going bust, it will be before I'm eligible, which is after the boomers drain the pot.

Past 59.5 I can take from 401k and if not a FT job, could contract or do fun PT jobs. I could receive dividends in cash vs reinvesting and turn that spigot off again when SS kicks in. If I'm in trouble, fine, collect earlier than desired.

Collecting SS is so far into the future for me that I'm expecting to wait until 70 to get the full canoly if I can, but expect I'll get nothing. And that is how I'm planning my retirement, without figuring in SS but expecting to remain in the work force past 65.

Life will happen, plans will adapt.

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
??

So, if the wife is drawing the 1/2 of spouse's benefit and the spouse dies the payment goes up to 100%?

"Benefit amount for a spouse
Updated 02/25/2011 11:59 AM | ID# 175
What are the benefit amounts a spouse may be entitled to receive?
A spouse receives one-half of the retired worker's full benefit unless the spouse begins collecting benefits before full retirement age. In that case, the amount of the spouse's benefit is reduced by a percentage based on the number of months before he/she reaches full retirement age."

Surviving spouse collects 100% of the deceased's benefits if at full retirement age. Here is the official info:

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/ww&os2.htm

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if the wife is drawing the 1/2 of spouse's benefit and the spouse dies the payment goes up to 100%?

That's one way to look at it. In my mind, the total payment goes DOWN from 150% (husband + wife) to 100% (widow only).

-Bob

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's one way to look at it. In my mind, the total payment goes DOWN from 150% (husband + wife) to 100% (widow only).

And don't forget how the system treats couples where both work. If the wife worked at a pay level that earned her a benefit that's 50% of the benefit the husband earned, she doesn't get 1 cent extra for having paid her social security taxes. While they're both alive her benefit is exactly what a non-working spouse gets, and likewise if her husband dies.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

Thanks, but neither of these directly answers the question of how and when it actually is done. But in the calculator results I found this:

We withhold benefits starting at the beginning of the year. We do not pay partial monthly benefits based on estimated earnings. Next year, when we know how much you actually earned in 2011, we will calculate how much your benefits should have been reduced. We will then pay you any excess benefits we may have withheld or let you know if we did not withhold enough.

I interpret this to mean that they adjust the amount at the beginning of each year, and expect you to tell them in advance how much you're going to make that year. Then, at the end, when they find out how much you did make, they adjust the reduction either by giving you back some money or ... what, withholding more in the following year, or sending you a bill ???

If I knew how much I was going to make (i.e. had a regular, predictable job) I probably wouldn't need to tap SS before full retirement age...

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

"Benefit amount for a spouse
Updated 02/25/2011 11:59 AM | ID# 175
What are the benefit amounts a spouse may be entitled to receive?
A spouse receives one-half of the retired worker's full benefit unless the spouse begins collecting benefits before full retirement age. In that case, the amount of the spouse's benefit is reduced by a percentage based on the number of months before he/she reaches full retirement age."

That is correct. I asked that very question at the SS office a couple weeks ago.

A spouse receives 50% of the retired workers benefit IF the spouse is at full retirement age. The spouse actually pays a higher penalty for collecting before their full retirement age than a retired person of the same age. Even if the surviving spouse started collecting spousal benefits before full retirement age they will still get 100% of the deceased retired person's benefit.

As I said, we just went through all of that with our financial adviser and the SS office.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is correct. I asked that very question at the SS office a couple weeks ago.

A spouse receives 50% of the retired workers benefit IF the spouse is at full retirement age. The spouse actually pays a higher penalty for collecting before their full retirement age than a retired person of the same age. Even if the surviving spouse started collecting spousal benefits before full retirement age they will still get 100% of the deceased retired person's benefit.

As I said, we just went through all of that with our financial adviser and the SS office.

If a spouse is not collecting at all (never worked), and the retired worker dies. Does the surviving spouse (79 years old) recieve 50% or 100% of the retired worker's benefit?

TSchmidt

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a spouse is not collecting at all (never worked), and the retired worker dies. Does the surviving spouse (79 years old) recieve 50% or 100% of the retired worker's benefit?

Hmm, I don't understand why the spouse is not collecting. Even if she/he has never worked, she/he is eligible to receive SS based on the spouses employment beginning at age 62.

When the retired worker dies, the spouse loses her/his benefit but gets 100% of the retired worker's amount.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The info below isn't exactly correct. The spouse doesn't lose their benefit. They may choose to take the deceased spouse's benefit if it is more. But if they haven't collected theirs yet, if there becomes a point when their own benefit would be more, they can switch to their own. I am planning on switching when I reach age 65.

Fern

When the retired worker dies, the spouse loses her/his benefit but gets 100% of the retired worker's amount.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't understand why the spouse is not collecting. Even if she/he has never worked, she/he is eligible to receive SS based on the spouses employment beginning at age 62.

If the spouse starts collecting spousal benefits at age 62, they will only get approximately 35% of the retired worker's benefit as long as they are both alive. As I said earlier, spousal benefits have a higher penalty for early withdrawal of benefits than a retired worker does. For that reason they may not want to start collecting at age 62. However, if the retired worker dies then the spouse will receive 100% of the retired worker's benefit regardless of when the spouse started collecting spousal benefits.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The info below isn't exactly correct. The spouse doesn't lose their benefit. They may choose to take the deceased spouse's benefit if it is more. But if they haven't collected theirs yet, if there becomes a point when their own benefit would be more, they can switch to their own. I am planning on switching when I reach age 65.

Fern

You are assuming that the spouse worked and is eligible to receive SS on their own earnings. That is not the case here. We are assuming that the spouse has not worked enough to qualify for SS. That is the case with my wife as she has never worked outside of the home.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You didn't read my post correctly, John. I was responding to someone who said the spouse would lose "his or her benefit." If they were already collecting their own benefit and switched, that would be correct. If they weren't, it wouldn't be.

It was in reply to someone's own benefit, not applicable in your case since your wife did not work under social security.

Fern

TSchmidt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You didn't read my post correctly, John. I was responding to someone who said the spouse would lose "his or her benefit." If they were already collecting their own benefit and switched, that would be correct. If they weren't, it wouldn't be.

It was in reply to someone's own benefit, not applicable in your case since your wife did not work under social security.

Fern

Fern, you were responding to my post and I was discussing benefits for a spouse who did not work. Perhaps my post was unclear.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It was not clear to me. When you said "his or her benefit" I did not realize that you meant "his or her spousal benefit." Actually they don't lose that, it becomes a widow's or widower's benefit on the same account. But that's semantics. I did, in fact, misunderstand, and was responding to a different situation, one more like mine.

So the title of this thread is correct, "It isn't that simple."

Fern

Pro

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was news to me: After 66, benefits don’t get cut no matter how much you earn. I had always heard any working income would reduce benefits, but didn't realize there was a cut-off date where this would no longer apply.

Thanks for posting this.
Actually it is "full retirement age" that the income penalty is removed. For some people it is age 66. Others it can be 67. It all depends on when you were born.

Joe P.