• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Florida has passed (both houses) mandatory DRUG TESTING ...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
of adult receiptants of WELFARE! Must pay a $35 testing fee which is refunded if clean. Benefits lost for 1 year 1st time. 3 year lost of benefits 2nd positive test. Parents must have dependants' benefits paid to another adult (hopefully, they too will be tested). No paid treatment money allocated.

Article sites recent executive order for state employees to be subjected to drug testing and mentions private employers doing drug testing.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
of adult receiptants of WELFARE! Must pay a $35 testing fee which is refunded if clean. Benefits lost for 1 year 1st time. 3 year lost of benefits 2nd positive test. Parents must have dependants' benefits paid to another adult (hopefully, they too will be tested). No paid treatment money allocated.

Article sites recent executive order for state employees to be subjected to drug testing and mentions private employers doing drug testing.
I would hope that if a parent tests positive for drugs, the children would be taken out of the home and put in a safer environment but I realize there is a severe lack of good foster homes. How sad.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea for Florida! I wish all states would follow their lead!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]
You guys are tempting me to step over the line again

I have a comment and its not complimentary to the folks we send to Tallahassee So Ill let it go by simply saying its not about the drugs,

Last edited by a moderator:

VivianLynne

Reaction score
As a employee subjected to drug tests to keep my job and wages needed to feed myself and family, I find this 10 years too late. The company I work for has spent way more than my salary to test applicants who fail the drug screenings for employment after several interviews, a medical appointment for a pre-employment physical & tests, and the normal professional screens regarding schooling and references.

For our entry level jobs, the failure rate is heidous in the under 35-40 year applicants. :annoyed: And we have several signs which state "Do not apply if you do illegal drugs. We drug test every applicant."

I wonder what they think illegal drugs are? :wall:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
My local Home Depots employs many male 70-80 year olds in all departments - the managers have said because few male applicants under 40 can pass the drug screening. I don't live in the retirement/snowbird belt; I live in the Northeast.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When Jordan (my 28 year old son) completed his certification at a technical school, I told him that he would be a high interest employment candidate because he could pass a drug test and he had no criminal background. I even put it on his resume.

Sad but true that there are so many people doing drugs.

elaine

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pre-editing my post...i'm from a younger generation and the gap becomes apparent with these posts....

I'm just going to leave it at...its not the drugs that are the problem, its the law

Last edited:

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pre-editing my post...i'm from a younger generation and the gap becomes apparent with these posts....

I'm just going to leave it at...its not the drugs that are the problem, its the law
If it were only pot I might be tempted to agree with you. In my field of emergency medicine, it is more often the opiates, benzos and barbituates often superimposed on alcohol that is the issue. Not a day goes by that I do not see blood alcohol in excess of 0.40. The issue with both work and welfare is that these drugs are purchased and used illegally and rob people of the ability to think clearly and to perform certain tasks well. These drugs show up 10 to one in my community over cocaine or heroin and probably 3 to 1 over marijuana. I am all in favor of drug testing, I actually think it is inspired. I do not think taxpayers neeed to be paying for other peoples' choices.

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with this bill. My conclusion is simple. I don't want someone using my money (that was taken through taxing me) to buy their drugs. I have no problem with them using that money to feed their children if they legitimately cant find work.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
A relative, lives in Florida, years ago ~6 said Florida had a huge illegal prescription drug problem.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

I work in a hospital. The law is not the problem. It's the belief that drugs don't hurt you. Even the legal drugs of tobacco and alcohol are hard on the body and effect the brain.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No paid treatment money allocated.

So does this mean that a person who tests positive will have no way to support themselves and no way to get treatment? I sure don't see an easy solution to this.

Deb

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
So does this mean that a person who tests positive will have no way to support themselves and no way to get treatment? I sure don't see an easy solution to this.

Deb

So, if your teenager does not get a job at Home Depot, you expect Home Depot to pay for a residential treatment program? Why should the government pay? The provision to pay a 3rd party the "funds" for minor children COULD be the first step in making "grandparents or other responsible parties" realize that something else is the problem in that situation verses a bad job market, no transportation, no education or other BS excuses.

How many of you all were driving before required usage of seat belts? Or child safety seats? The times changed for the betterment of society and a lot of people didn't like those intrusions in their "private life". At least you can still take the bus or cab without a seat belt.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Complaint about moderation deleted.]

So ill try again and simply agree with Ride and Deb. and re state its not about the drugs

By the way, Florida had to be pushed; but they have finally started to crack down on the "prescription mills" in the state so at least they are also going after the doctors, drug stores, and the big drug companies that create, feed and profit from the drug addictions of the people

Last edited by a moderator:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even the legal drugs ... alcohol are hard on the body and effect the brain.

And state laws have limits on how much the Blood/Alcohol percentage is allowed before you are not allowed to drive. And again, the government is not paying for or mandating rehab. Personal choice allowed.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with this bill. My conclusion is simple. I don't want someone using my money (that was taken through taxing me) to buy their drugs. I have no problem with them using that money to feed their children if they legitimately cant find work.

I completely agree.

I would hope that if a parent tests positive for drugs, the children would be taken out of the home and put in a safer environment but I realize there is a severe lack of good foster homes. How sad.

Agreed.
There also is a lack of good oversight/overseers of said foster homes.

Larry6417

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drug use is something I see often in my line of work, and solutions defy easy, knee-jerk reactions. The legislation in Florida may be well-intentioned, but you know the old saying about good intentions. :)

Last year a group of scientists in the UK classified drugs according to the harm they did to the individuals taking them as well as to others i.e someone besides the drug user. The drug causing most harm to others was, by a wide margin, alcohol. The drug classified as causing the most harm to users was heroin. The study was based on UK data, so the results may vary slightly depending on what country you're in. However, I suspect alcohol would be at or near the top everywhere. See www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext?version=printerFriendly

Let's return to the legislation in Florida. What drugs are they testing for? Do they test for alcohol - a legal drug which causes enormous harm? Do they test for marijuana - an illegal drug that causes little harm? Do they test for prescription drugs (which may have a legitimate use but are often abused)? I'm going to grossly stereotype...poor people use "street drugs" while middle and upper-class addicts (addicts come from all walks of life) abuse alcohol and prescription drugs.

What will Florida do with positive tests? Will they stop benefits? Addicts won't necessarily stop being addicts. They'll just find a different way to support their habit. Coming soon to your home, car, or neighborhood...an addict short on funds.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Drug use is something I see often in my line of work, and solutions defy easy, knee-jerk reactions. The legislation in Florida may be well-intentioned, but you know the old saying about good intentions. :)

Last year a group of scientists in the UK classified drugs according to the harm they did to the individuals taking them as well as to others i.e someone besides the drug user. The drug causing most harm to others was, by a wide margin, alcohol. The drug classified as causing the most harm to users was heroin. The study was based on UK data, so the results may vary slightly depending on what country you're in. However, I suspect alcohol would be at or near the top everywhere. See www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61462-6/fulltext?version=printerFriendly

Let's return to the legislation in Florida. What drugs are they testing for? Do they test for alcohol - a legal drug which causes enormous harm? Do they test for marijuana - an illegal drug that causes little harm? Do they test for prescription drugs (which may have a legitimate use but are often abused)? I'm going to grossly stereotype...poor people use "street drugs" while middle and upper-class addicts (addicts come from all walks of life) abuse alcohol and prescription drugs.

What will Florida do with positive tests? Will they stop benefits? Addicts won't necessarily stop being addicts. They'll just find a different way to support their habit. Coming soon to your home, car, or neighborhood...an addict short on funds.

I agree completely, very well stated.

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
0.40 Bac

Are you serious?? It's hard to believe how much someone would have to drink to get to that level. I thought the mid 0.3's was close to dead !!

If it were only pot I might be tempted to agree with you. In my field of emergency medicine, it is more often the opiates, benzos and barbituates often superimposed on alcohol that is the issue. Not a day goes by that I do not see blood alcohol in excess of 0.40. The issue with both work and welfare is that these drugs are purchased and used illegally and rob people of the ability to think clearly and to perform certain tasks well. These drugs show up 10 to one in my community over cocaine or heroin and probably 3 to 1 over marijuana. I am all in favor of drug testing, I actually think it is inspired. I do not think taxpayers neeed to be paying for other peoples' choices.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Are you serious?? It's hard to believe how much someone would have to drink to get to that level. I thought the mid 0.3's was close to dead !!

Alcoholics develop tolerances to it that defy the norms of what a non-alcoholic is able to tolerate.

Blue Skies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gov. Rick Scott, Solantic and conflict of interest: What's the deal?

If you have a $62 million investment, representing the biggest single chunk of your $218 million in wealth, and you put it in a trust under your wife's name, does that mean you're no longer involved in the company?

Florida Gov. Rick Scott says it does.

Read the rest here http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...d-conflict-of-interest-whats-the-deal/1161158

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Illegal drugs support gang violence and terrorism. Alcohol does not.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
So ill try again and simply agree with Ride and Deb. and re state its not about the drugs

Ron, not sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that illicit drug use causes no harm to others, should be publicily funded, or something else?

L

laurac260

Illegal drugs support gang violence and terrorism. Alcohol does not.

Alcohol destroys families. My mom is an alcoholic, so is her husband. So is his entire family, so are most of their friends. They were largely absent parents. They drank sun up to sun down, to the point where as an adult I would no longer call my mother after 3pm, nor would I answer the phone when she called me anytime after 3 (which is when her husband came home from work and they went to the bars). They and their friends spent their entire free time in bars. Step-dads brother worked a full time job, made good money, but he and his little boy lived in a hotel room, in a pit of a hotel, in a bad part of town. He spent all his money on alcohol.
BUT...they didn't do drugs. They looked down on "pot heads", drug addicts, etc. But there was nothing wrong with drinking a beer everyday. Or 12. Every day.

The only difference, from where I've sat, is that alcohol and opiates are legal, and street drugs are not. When you're a kid looking at your parents, stoned is stoned, and absent is absent.