• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Due Diligence--EBay purchasing

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I placed a bid for a HGVC week on EBay--seller seems to be legit. Now, if by any chance I get the week, how does one verify that the contract is paid in full, nothing owed, etc? Will Hilton give that information if you call w/ a contract # (once the bid is won and the seller provides the information)? I bought Worldmark on EBay and that is what I did, so am hoping it's that simple if one of my bids is accepted on EBay.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ask for the estoppel before you bid or at least before you pay.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think HGVC will provide the estoppel until the unit passes ROFR. That's my experience.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think HGVC will provide the estoppel until the unit passes ROFR. That's my experience.
Of course they will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I look at EBay stuff I always print the screen/details of the add to a PDF to memorialize exactly what it says they are selling. I've heard stories about the ad changing and even the slightest change can make a HUGE difference. So print a copy of the listing, win the item, ask for the estoppel, and if the estoppel doesn't match the ad details exactly then back out and report the seller to the EBay police. Most ads say that if there is an error in the listing they will gladly refund the purchase price.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
I think the best thing you can do in an eBay transaction is to come onto this board and do a search on the seller--the eBay user name, the name of the closing company, etc., etc.

My first HGVC purchase was from an eBay seller, and I only placed a bid because other TUGgers had posted here that they'd had smooth transactions.

I'm in the midst of a second purchase, and the agent, again, has a good reputation, here.

In each of these transactions, I was okay with bundling the ROFR and the estoppel letter. I got what I paid for in my first transaction, because it was a reputable seller, and in my current transaction, I've read enough feedback around here to know that if something takes a left turn, the agent will fix it.

Reputation is everything. There are a lot of scammers out there, but there are reputable eBay sellers, too. Do your research (and there's nowhere better to get info than right here), and you'll be fine.