• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marbrisa

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds good. What are the MFs?

I'm pretty sure there is no ROFR, so you won't have to worry about that.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say yes. But make sure you calculate out the full cost for 5 or 10 years - purchase, closing, transfer, activation, and then MF's for 5 or 10 years. Then add the points for the same amount of years and see what your overall cost per point is. Should be in the 20 - 25 cent range for a "good deal".

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the MF are $850

My 4200 Marbrisa is over $1,000. Yours will be higher than that. I am including taxes and HGVC dues in my total.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is $2800 for 9600 points platinum season odd year a good price.

Be careful, Marbrisa is trickey. I'm not sure HGVC memberships transfer on all (any?) Marbrisa deeds. Sometimes when you buy a Marbrisa week on resale, all you have is a week at Marbrisa. I had an interesting "conversation " about this topic with a Marbrisa saleswoman a few months ago.

CTighe

Reaction score
Be careful, Marbrisa is trickey. I'm not sure HGVC memberships transfer on all (any?) Marbrisa deeds. Sometimes when you buy a Marbrisa week on resale, all you have is a week at Marbrisa. I had an interesting "conversation " about this topic with a Marbrisa saleswoman a few months ago.

Would I be able to see it on paper work before I buy?
I'm new to this never had a TS

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yours is ananual or biannual
EOY, but they bill everyone annually. So, I think your $850. amount would be billed every year, for EOY use. The MFs there are very high, but your buy in is pretty low so it may be worth it to you.

Would I be able to see it on paper work before I buy?
I'm new to this never had a TS
All HGVC contracts have an estoppel that will tell exactly what you are buying. If it says points anywhere on that, you are buying HGVC and not one of the old Marbrisa contracts. Marbrisa was a Grand Pacific resort, but they got into financial trouble and sold it to HGVC. If you buy an old contract (pre-HGVC), it won't mention points and you won't have all the high fees to join HGVC.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
I would buy it!

Is $2800 for 9600 points platinum season odd year a good price.

That sounds like a really good price. Must be an ocean (sorry-they changed it to sunset view) or a penthouse points value. A better value than most. It seems that currently, reservations in prime summer are available. I actually like the older contracts with the fixed weeks guaranteed. (I may be prejudiced as many resorts you need to fight for the week you want-not much fun.)

Regardless, great price. And yes-you can definitely get points for it-may need to pay. (Worth it for the flexibility.)

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score

Marbrisa is not tricky and this issue of Hilton or not Hilton was settled several years ago. Marbrisa is now a core HGVC property (for last 3 years or so), not an affiliate. All marbrisa deeds are automatically converted into HGVC. Advanced Financial who manages financial part of this resort will charge about $1050 transfer fee, which includes many of these activation fees into Hilton. About 4-5 years ago, owners had an option to keep Marbrisa as non-Hlton if they wanted, but that option is no longer there since it is a core property.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marbrisa is not tricky and this issue of Hilton or not Hilton was settled several years ago. Marbrisa is now a core HGVC property (for last 3 years or so), not an affiliate. All marbrisa deeds are automatically converted into HGVC. Advanced Financial who manages financial part of this resort will charge about $1050 transfer fee, which includes many of these activation fees into Hilton. About 4-5 years ago, owners had an option to keep Marbrisa as non-Hlton if they wanted, but that option is no longer there since it is a core property.

That is interesting because the saleswoman at Marbrisa and I had a very "lively" conversation about this issue. I know "her lips were moving" but that should have motivated her to tell me what I wanted to hear. I told her that the reason I would not buy at Marbrisa was that the HGVC points did not transfer upon resale (which she confirmed) and therefore any week she would sell me would be nearly worthless on the resale market. This resulted in the tour ending abruptly.

I guess the safest thing to do is check the deed BEFORE you close on the deal. If it comes with points that should be on the deed.

just_jenny01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the Marbrisa debate is over....

I'm in the process of purchasing ownership at the Marbrisa (resale) and my timeshare broker has advised that Marbrisa is an affiliate resort which is conflicting with some of the information on this thread.

Any ideas on how to get the real scoop on this?

I want to ensure (before I sign the contract) that the differences with an affiliate resort are not significant and that I'm still able to use my points as any other resale HGVC owner can......

As an affiliate resort at Marbrisa I get 1-week a year (8,400 points), week 27. My broker has advised that I can cancel this week 31 days in advance of week 27 every year to cash in my points.

I'm about to pay $7,500 for the 8,400 platinum HGVC points- from what I've researched this seems like a fairly good price. We did attend a reatail HGVC presentation at the Marbrisa and the same amount of point were going for $25K plus.

Looking for any red flags/ words of wisdom BEFORE I sign on the dotted line!!!!

Thanks everyone!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Marbrisa owners have full HGVC access but it's still under an affiliate agreement between Grand Pacific and HGVC.

Grand Pacific MarBrisa Resort and Hilton Grand Vacations Expand Relationship (2010 ) - http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS196382+12-Nov-2010+BW20101112
Grand Pacific Newsletter (Spring 2013) - http://www.rtmdev.com/docs/GPM_SPR14Newsletter.pdf

The following is from the December 31, 2013 Financial Statement found in the Spring 2013 Newletter (see link above)

Note 3 – Related parties
Management agreement
The Association is operated under a management agreement with Hilton Grand Vacations Club, LLC (“HGVC”), who has subcontracted with a professional property management company, Grand Pacific Resort Services, L.P. (“GPRS”). The Association’s management budget is within guidelines established by the Department of Real Estate. Management fees under this agreement were $366,386 for the year ended December 31, 2013, of which $329,787 is allocated as fixed expenses under the operating fund and $36,599 is allocated as repairs, replacement and maintenance under the replacement fund. The Association pays an additional licensing fee to HGVC equal to 2.5% of all expenses, before management fees and other adjustments. Licensing fees were $94,499 for the year ended December 31, 2013.
Exchange affiliation agreement
Effective September 2006, the Association has entered into an exchange affiliation agreement with HGVC to offer vacation interval owners at the Association the opportunity to utilize the exchange services and related benefits provided through HGVC. Owners who submit a HGVC enrollment agreement and pay the applicable enrollment and transaction fees shall be entitled to full access to all the benefits, reservations and exchange services offered by HGVC. The term of the agreement is five years and is automatically renewable for successive one year periods, unless terminated in accordance with the agreement. As a part of the affiliation agreement with HGVC, the Association had borrowed affiliate inventory in exchange for member rights to travel through the HGVC point exchange program. As of December 31, 2013, the point deficit was 871,116 which the Association agreed to pay $87,115 to extinguish. The liability has been accrued on the statement of assets, liabilities and fund balance (deficit) as of December 31, 2013. As of December 31, 2013, the Association owed HGVC $988,090 under this agreement.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marbrisa owners have full HGVC access but it's still under an affiliate agreement between Grand Pacific and HGVC.

It's managed by Grand Pacific Resorts, but operates as HGVC. My contract doesn't say anything about Grand Pacific Resorts. It's only between me and HGVC. When I have any questions or concerns with my Marbrisa, I call Hilton. With my other affiliates, I have to call Grand Pacific Resorts and they deal with HGVC on my behalf.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It's managed by Grand Pacific Resorts, but operates as HGVC. My contract doesn't say anything about Grand Pacific Resorts. It's only between me and HGVC. When I have any questions or concerns with my Marbrisa, I call Hilton. With my other affiliates, I have to call Grand Pacific Resorts and they deal with HGVC on my behalf.

JMHO....

The 2010 announcement (see link in my previous post) describes the expanded Marbrisa affiliate agreement which included HGVC resort management services, timeshare sales and marketing. This is why Marbrisa is handled differently than your other Grand Pacific affiliates.
NOTE: I didn't find any post 2010 announcements describing any other Marbrisa agreement between HGVC and Grand Pacific.

Marbrisa is the only Grand Pacific Resort listed on the HGVC Media Center site as a HGVC managed resort. It is listed along side several other HGVC affiliated resorts such as the Bay Club, Valdoro, Elara, and the South Florida resorts. See http://www.hiltongrandvacationsmediacenter.com/index.cfm/page/11001

NOTE: I'm assuming if the exchange affiliate agreement were to end, at a bare minimum existing Marbrisa owners would be grandfathered allowing them to maintain their full HGVC access for the duration of their ownership (similar to Shell Island Beach Club and Sunset Cove)