• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2013] Another DC Enrollment Opportunity For Resale Weeks Owners?

Bill4728

Reaction score
As far as I know, most direct-purchase MVCI Weeks came with the every-other-year MRP Exchange Benefit. But a few select premium Weeks came with an every-year offer, such as a Plat 3BR SurfWatch, the few Fixed Weeks in the system, I think a few Plat Hawaii Weeks ... Not many overall, that's for sure, but a few.

Yeah that is how I remember it also. At some resorts the plat weeks were every year and the gold weeks EOY.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd never heard of it. Back then when you could get A LOT of usage value out of MRP and Travel Packages, I bet it made sense in certain instances to take advantage of such an offer.

As far as I know, most direct-purchase MVCI Weeks came with the every-other-year MRP Exchange Benefit. But a few select premium Weeks came with an every-year offer, such as a Plat 3BR SurfWatch, the few Fixed Weeks in the system, I think a few Plat Hawaii Weeks ... Not many overall, that's for sure, but a few.

I am not sure it was just select premium weeks that were afforded the benefit. I think it all came to driving sales at a given property. I believe Legends Edge at one time came with the option to trade for MRP every other year. When sales were slow at the property, MVCI changed it to an every year option. If I recall correctly, they did this at other properties as well.

I think it had more to do with driving sales volume than whether the week was premium or not. Trading for MRPs was always a sales tool designed to drive sales, not really dependent upon how good a week or resort you were buying. This can explain why in a lot of cases the Hawaii properties didn't get as good a MRP redemption as other mainland properties. Hawaii units were easier to sell :shrug: and they didn't need to use trading for MRPs as a tool to drive them.

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd never heard of it. Back then when you could get A LOT of usage value out of MRP and Travel Packages, I bet it made sense in certain instances to take advantage of such an offer.

Some Gold Weeks we bought in Paris gave us the option to convert to MRP every year and this always gives us some flexibility if we are looking for a Travel package

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure it was just select premium weeks that were afforded the benefit. I think it all came to driving sales at a given property. I believe Legends Edge at one time came with the option to trade for MRP every other year. When sales were slow at the property, MVCI changed it to an every year option. If I recall correctly, they did this at other properties as well.

I think it had more to do with driving sales volume than whether the week was premium or not. Trading for MRPs was always a sales tool designed to drive sales, not really dependent upon how good a week or resort you were buying. This can explain why in a lot of cases the Hawaii properties didn't get as good a MRP redemption as other mainland properties. Hawaii units were easier to sell :shrug: and they didn't need to use trading for MRPs as a tool to drive them.

I agree with this conclusion. All of our weeks have yearly MRP options. We own multiple PLAT PLUS, PLT, GOLD, and Silver Weeks across the US MVCI portfolio.

rpgriego

Reaction score

I still think an MVC owner can get "A LOT of usage value" from a Travel Package. It just depends on how they use their Travel Package.

After converting my multiple weeks into MRPs, I then convert them into Travel Packages (during the annual 50% USAirways bonus promotion). Then I convert the miles to FC tickets NOT domestic. The latest round was four FC tickets to Rome. Have you priced FC tickets to Rome? Next round will be Australia. Have you priced FC tickets to Australia? Travel Packages save A LOT of hard dollars.

BTW... I only redeem for a seven night category 8 (soon to be 9) for use at JW Essex House (NYC), JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London), Rome Grand Hotel Flora, Paris Champs Élysées, etc. Have you priced the cost of a Marriott hotel room in these locations? Again, Travel Packages save A LOT of hard dollars.

Now you may be recalling the Hertz Rental Certificate. I believe it started out at seven free days then went to five then 25% off. Someone correct me if I've got the Hertz certificate history wrong. For me, choosing a central location hopefully eliminates the need to drive.

I truly feel, knowing how to and then actually working the system returns "A LOT of usage value".

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This is exactly correct. At Legends Edge Marriott raised the number of MR points offered and made the points available every year, just so that they could close out the unsuccessful complex and move on. That's when (and why) I bought my EOY LE. Previous LE buyers were able to pay a fee to upgrade their MR points offer.

Some buildings were never built and others converted to fractional ownership.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recollection is that MR points were available with my Monarch Week (which I no longer own) on an every year basis. Don't know for sure but I'll bet it is still that way.

George

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Sabal Palms had every year MRP availability from day one, which is the main reason we bought a week in 1987 just before the resort opened. I am pretty sure Royal Palms was the same.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sabal Palms had every year MRP availability from day one, which is the main reason we bought a week in 1987 just before the resort opened. I am pretty sure Royal Palms was the same.

Royal Palms was/is every year.