• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui MOC renovation/construction late 2016

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was perusing the MVC website and noticed the following for MOC:

The Maui Ocean Club Molokai, Maui and Lanai towers will be renovating our suites from August 14, 2016 through December 10, 2016. Please understand that there will be substantial construction work in specific areas as we renovate villas floor by floor from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. In addition the main super pool located in front of the Molokai, Maui and Lanai wings will be closed for renovation from August 14, 2016 through October 15th, 2016. We do have two alternate pools in front of our Napili and Lahaina Towers that will be open.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Was perusing the MVC website and noticed the following for MOC:

The Maui Ocean Club Molokai, Maui and Lanai towers will be renovating our suites from August 14, 2016 through December 10, 2016. Please understand that there will be substantial construction work in specific areas as we renovate villas floor by floor from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. In addition the main super pool located in front of the Molokai, Maui and Lanai wings will be closed for renovation from August 14, 2016 through October 15th, 2016. We do have two alternate pools in front of our Napili and Lahaina Towers that will be open.

I was okay with everything until I read the part about the main pool being closed. We'll be there next September, and I was really looking forward to my daughter (who will be 3 at the time) enjoying that pool every day.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
So do people think that will mean greater availability (due to pool closure and renovation noise etc reducing interest) or lesser availability (due to a number of rooms out of service)?

I'm looking at early Sept. 2016 for 5th anniversary trip; have an ongoing II request in for the Westin Maui resort with a Starwood week but based on the Starwood forum it seems like there's a good possibility I won't get a match. I think I'm going to expand my request to include Westin Princeville; and set up a new request with a Marriott unit for MOC, Waiohai and Kauai Lagoons. We were hoping to visit Maui this trip but may have to settle for Kauai. Though I can always purchase Eplus after the first match I get and hold out hope for something better.

Already have a Oahu week booked that we'll use the week after.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just stayed there in the Molokai Tower. We thought the room was in great shape. Wondering what kind of renovations they are doing.

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Thanks for this post, I am booked in early August and looking to add another week, I guess I'll book the week prior to make sure I miss the renovation.

It seems like just yesterday that we had a suite and pool renovation in the old towers...very nice of Marriott to stay on top of the property!

tmcasey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. My reservation next year starts on Aug. 14. And while I'm in the Lahaina Suites, the two smaller pools just don't seem large enough for all guests at the resort.

I will rethink my plans for 2016.

Tami

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I do think availability will be good for II exchangers, and I don't think adults will be as bothered by the closure of the main pool. It is a bummer for families, but I actually think this is a good opportunity to trade into MOC.

I think krj9999 is well suited to expand the Westin search to include WPORV, but think you should be successful trading in a Marriott into MOC, if you decide to stay with it.

Good luck with your decisions!

Best,

Greg

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. My reservation next year starts on Aug. 14. And while I'm in the Lahaina Suites, the two smaller pools just don't seem large enough for all guests at the resort.

I will rethink my plans for 2016.

Tami

We are planning a trip for next September for two of us. The pool closure will change our plans. We also own a Starwood and will stay at the Westin since the pool is important to us.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this...I was going to make reservations for mid-Sept. We will have two little grandsons with us so the main pool is VERY important to us! Will reserve late October instead.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I booked my week at MOC for 9/10 (our wedding anniversary week), so for those of you looking around the same time, feel free to book elsewhere to free up room for my family and I in the Napili and Lahaina pools. :)

On a more serious note, when I called MOC this morning to ask for more details on the work, the manager did tell me that these aren't just "room refreshes" like they did a number of years ago, but near complete overhauls. We likely won't be in our rooms very much anyway, so we'll just have to suck it up.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui Ocean Club pool closure this summer

Nothing to see here, move along folks. I posted a hasty question about the MOC pool closure in 2016 and then found it by searching. August 14th start date for construction ruins my end of summer plans!

Last edited:

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a match this morning for a MOC studio with 9/4/16 check-in. So one-day overlap with our 9/10/16 check-in at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Less than ideal for several reasons, but will likely hold it and buy EPlus.

May take WPORV off the Starwood search, since we have a Maui option at this point.

I do think availability will be good for II exchangers, and I don't think adults will be as bothered by the closure of the main pool. It is a bummer for families, but I actually think this is a good opportunity to trade into MOC.

I think krj9999 is well suited to expand the Westin search to include WPORV, but think you should be successful trading in a Marriott into MOC, if you decide to stay with it.

Good luck with your decisions!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I got a match this morning for a MOC studio with 9/4/16 check-in. So one-day overlap with our 9/10/16 check-in at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Less than ideal for several reasons, but will likely hold it and buy EPlus.

Were you looking for a 1BR, or is a Studio sufficient? The Studios in the original tower are decent size, but I'm sorry you're losing the overlapping day. I think you will enjoy the time and the adult pools are very good. Enjoy your time, you are visiting two of my favorite properties on the same trip!

Best,

Greg

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was using a studio for the trade, so only expected studio. Combination of main pool closure, potential construction/renovation noise, overlapping day, and shared laundry. But if I can trade up or change check-in day during flexchange, I will likely do so.

We will have in-room laundry and kitchen at Grand Waikikian (1 BR there).

I do like MMO location better than the Westin though.

Were you looking for a 1BR, or is a Studio sufficient? The Studios in the original tower are decent size, but I'm sorry you're losing the overlapping day. I think you will enjoy the time and the adult pools are very good. Enjoy your time, you are visiting two of my favorite properties on the same trip!

Best,

Greg

Bill4728

Reaction score
RE renovation of the suites

PLEASE PLEASE replace the frigs in the suites with a frig that is useful.

The current "dorm frigs" are so small they are just a waste of space. Please put a frig in that is a useful size!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Fridge?

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Has anyone come across photos or information about what the newly-renovated units will look like? Usually Marriott releases some conceptual drawings with fabrics, finishes, etc. Sometimes there is even a prototype unit at the resort which owners can tour to see the coming changes.

Pardon if this has already been provided in another thread.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If nobody has posted pictures of the renovations by then, I'll see if I can grab some next September when I'm there.

mauialoha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners Newsletter

We are owners at the MOC. Did anyone get an owners "annual" newsletter for MOC this year? We did not get one...usually a page or so long giving info on happenings around the resort, updates. I did see the renovation info on the owners website but no link to the annual letter. TIA for any help where to find it if one was sent out.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
A bit of topic, but for anyone who has been in a 3 bedroom Napili, does the studio lockoff include laundry facilities or a fridge? Many thanks!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A bit of topic, but for anyone who has been in a 3 bedroom Napili, does the studio lockoff include laundry facilities or a fridge? Many thanks!

No to both. It has a mini-fridge like the older units, and you have to use the washer/dryer in the common area within Napili.

Edit: To clarify further, there is a laundry room on every other floor in Napili Tower.

Last edited:

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
No to both. It has a mini-fridge like the older units, and you have to use the washer/dryer in the common area within Napili.

Edit: To clarify further, there is a laundry room on every other floor in Napili Tower.

Thanks so much - coin operated laundry room I assume? And do you know if the couch pulls out to a bed? Thanks again!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much - coin operated laundry room I assume? And do you know if the couch pulls out to a bed? Thanks again!

The machines are totally free, and Marriott will even provide you with some detergent. The front desk has given us more for free in a pinch, in case you need it. And yes, the couch is also a sleeper sofa.