• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning a South African Safari

CAROLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family is planning to visit South Africa for a safari during the summer of 2017. We would like to use our Marriott Aruba Surf Club timeshare to trade for a timeshare in South Africa. We can only trade through II.
Is it realistic to be able to trade into Mjejane Lodge or Sabi River Run? They are both by Kruger National Park.
Any thoughts or advice?
Thank you!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We traded into Falcon's Glen and Burchell's Bush Lodge through RCI for Jan 2013 travel. Both were good for different reasons. The Burchell's Bush Lodge was 'ideal' for visiting KNP as its location is right across the Sabi river from the Paul Kruger Gate.

From Burchell's we drove into KNP 5 full days for self-guided touring covering ~ half of the park. We fully explored the regions south and east of the Paul Kruger gate and travelled north to the turnoff for the 'southernmost Baobob tree.' We skipped one day mid-week for 'rest from driving' and instead booked a night-time Safari from the Activities desk. As the park closed to self-guided visitors at ~6p daily, booking a formal tour was the only option for night-time viewing. Glad we did it -- but we saw more wildlife on our self-guided daytime routes.

I have a few other tips posted in various posts. Might be worth searching this site for my name and South Africa?
Link: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195892

Last edited:

CAROLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, Rhonda! I will read your review.

How long did you have to wait to get the exchange(s)? I am thinking of putting in my exchange request for July 2017 now. Its really far in advance, but I don't know how easy, or difficult, it is to get an exchange to South Africa. Interval International only has a handful of timeshares to choose from and only 2 that are close to KNP.

Thanks again!

tedk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that July is the middle of the South African winter, but also one of the best times to go on Safari.
Ted

CAROLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I have been reading. So, I think it might be more difficult to get the trade. But, I have kids, so it has to be the summer.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
How long did you have to wait to get the exchange(s)?
We booked both weeks as "found online" -- we didn't use an ongoing search. I believe we booked both weeks, in the same online session, in July for January travel. So .. about 6 months out?