• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

magic jack phone recommendation

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I used to lug my laptop with me on trips to far off lands but found the hotels usually had reasonably priced business computers for emails and tobacconist stores sold phone cards ... in Paris 6 months ago I bought 800 minutes on a card for about 8 euros and cold call anyone I wanted in NA from my hotel room without charges. Had minutes left over, so it was a good deal IMO and I didn't have to pack my laptop. The Paris hotel, btw, charged 20 euros for 20 hours on their computers and I didn't use all those hours either ... too much to see and do.

Having said that I bought a MJ about a year ago and never used it as I didn't have a phone to plug into it and couldn't be bothered getting one as the phone cards were too good a deal.

Brian

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
computers

I am very interested in the MJ and wanted to know if you could use two different computers? Say on our laptop while on vacation and then the desktop while we are at home? Our long distance carrier is getting ridiculous and looking for a solutions.

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in the MJ and wanted to know if you could use two different computers? Say on our laptop while on vacation and then the desktop while we are at home? Our long distance carrier is getting ridiculous and looking for a solutions.

Yes, you just move the MJ from your laptop to your desktop

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, absolutely. Order a MJ right now. Try it for a few weeks or a month. If you aren't happy you can return it. If you are happy you can dump your long distance carrier and save quite a lot of money.

nkldavy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I Have Been Told ...

... that with MJ you don't need to use you own area code. This can be a plus if you want to do Craig's list or otherwise hide from the bad guys :shrug:

Uncle Davey

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
... that with MJ you don't need to use you own area code....
Uncle Davey

It's true that you can select the area code for your MJ. (and change it once at no cost). It doesn't have to be to hide or for other nefarious purposes. We have ours area coded where the grown kids and grandkids live. That way we are a local call for them.

Jim Ricks

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's true that you can select the area code for your MJ. (and change it once at no cost). It doesn't have to be to hide or for other nefarious purposes. We have ours area coded where the grown kids and grandkids live. That way we are a local call for them.

Jim Ricks

Smart idea!

Didn't someone recently post about phone calls back and forth between Canada and the U.S.? This might work for them too.....

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
got it

Ok I purchase the MJ yesterday @ Walgreens.........We haven't used it yet....will let you know what my thoughts are after I use it....Thanks for all your help.....

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
update

Been using the magic jack now for couple weeks on my desktop at home. We have been calling FL, AZ and CO to family and Friends. Have had know issues and works great. We are taking it on our next trip to AR and then to the Bahamas for two weeks in June. :whoopie:

We didn't do the auto renewal, so how do we renew once a year?

OK I think I found my answer to my question..........just log into your account......once there you can extend your service, change phone numbers, etc...

Last edited:

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
update

Just have to tell you great TUGGERS again how valuable you are to me!!!!!!

We where on our vacation in the Bahamas when I got a message from MJ from my daughter.............I had a death in the family and had to change my plans.........plane tickets etc,...............

One call to the airlines...........was over 70 minutes.......we did get everything worked out but just think....I checked with my cell phone carrier months before we left...they wanted $5.99 for the international plan then $2.00 per minute...that one phone call would have been over $140.00 w/o taxes..because of having to change all of our planes flying into different airports and keeping everyone informed..............this little device paid for itself at least 3X's over.

Thanks for all you great tips and tricks............

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Resurrecting Old Thread - Magic Jack

Due to the spotty cell service in our neighborhood and the need for more reliable (read NO DROPPED CALLS) service, we picked up the Magic Jack earlier this week.

It has worked fabulously. In reading consumer reviews, it would appear that those who reported poor service with MJ were most likely suffering from a less than powerful pc or perhaps poor connection to the internet. With a decent computer and DSL, we've been fine. Out of maybe 20 calls all around the USA, only one had an echo so I redialed and the problem was gone.

I'm planning to load the software on my netbook for my upcoming trip to Africa in hopes of calling home at least once or twice a week, subject to a decent internet connection. We'll see how that works out :)

bobbornstein

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim Ricks

Changing the area code used to be free, not anymore. Also, not all area codes are available (i.e. none in New Hampshire at all). Not really an issue, we just grabbed another area code from Massachusetts. Friends eventually get use to the "strange" area code. We use ours while travelling, Bahamas, Aruba, Cancun, etc. from the hotel room with our laptop. The key is the reliability of the internet connection. If not, the connection sounds terrible like you are missing every other word. When there is a good internet connection it works awesome.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we are all in different situations. But for me using my cell phone is a lot simpler and the marginal cost of my calls is almost always zero. Maybe I'm lucky, or just call from the right places, but I haven't had a dropped call with AT&T in over 5 years (unless talking to a Sprint customer which I attribute to Sprint).

George

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
iPod Touch or Smartphone with Skype app and make calls anywhere in the world for free with a pocket device. Laptops on vacation? No thanks. A lot has changed since Smartphones were introduced.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe I'm lucky, or just call from the right places, but I haven't had a dropped call with AT&T in over 5 years (unless talking to a Sprint customer which I attribute to Sprint).

Well my work cell phone was ATT and reception sucked here . . . and our personal services are with Sprint . . . both are bad here.

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we are all in different situations. But for me using my cell phone is a lot simpler and the marginal cost of my calls is almost always zero. Maybe I'm lucky, or just call from the right places, but I haven't had a dropped call with AT&T in over 5 years (unless talking to a Sprint customer which I attribute to Sprint).

George

I had to stop using AT&T because of dropped calls during emergencies.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
iPod Touch or Smartphone with Skype app and make calls anywhere in the world for free with a pocket device. Laptops on vacation? No thanks. A lot has changed since Smartphones were introduced.

Skype is free on a smart phone?

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Skype is free on a smart phone?

This is a good option if you have an unlimited data plan or have a WiFi connection from your phone. In either case, there is no added cost to use Skype.

I use Skype from a laptop. For $3/month, its unlimited calling to landlines, cell phones in the US & Canada. I'm getting ready to add a Skype-in number that will let me take incoming calls through Skype. Trying to decide if I want to hook up my old phone through the USB port or buy a cordless Skype phone for this purpose.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Packing a laptop to bring on vacation is analogous to packing a broom to swat the mosquitoes. JMHO.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Packing a laptop to bring on vacation is analogous to packing a broom to swat the mosquitoes. JMHO.

There are many reasons to take a laptop or netbook. Even if I'm off the grid with no connection, I carry mine so that I can offload my photos from my cameras & memory cards.

BountyHunter

Reaction score
both

we have MJ for incoming calls and Skype for outgoing. Woopie, we can both be on the phone at once :)

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons to take a laptop or netbook. Even if I'm off the grid with no connection, I carry mine so that I can offload my photos from my cameras & memory cards.

You must be shooting in RAW. How many thousand photos do you shoot while on vacation?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You must be shooting in RAW. How many thousand photos do you shoot while on vacation?

Yes, when shooting the aurora borealis, I'm shooting RAW.

Often it is a matter of offloading onto the network as a back up should my camera or memory card go bad.

Good examples will be my upcoming wilderness trip camping in Denali NP. No power or access to anything for five days. I expect to shoot somewhere around 3-5k photos. I suppose I don't know what to expect during my 12 day safarai in Kenya & Tanzania so I need to also be prepared to backup everything on those 12 days too. Those are two extremes but not completely unusual. I think on my Iditarod trip earlier this year I shot nearly 3k photos over two days.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, when shooting the aurora borealis, I'm shooting RAW.

Often it is a matter of offloading onto the network as a back up should my camera or memory card go bad.

Good examples will be my upcoming wilderness trip camping in Denali NP. No power or access to anything for five days. I expect to shoot somewhere around 3-5k photos. I suppose I don't know what to expect during my 12 day safarai in Kenya & Tanzania so I need to also be prepared to backup everything on those 12 days too. Those are two extremes but not completely unusual. I think on my Iditarod trip earlier this year I shot nearly 3k photos over two days.

Wow! That's a LOT of photos! How do you keep them organized? And you choose to offload them to a laptop vs. a portable HD?

Have you posted some to share?

Last edited: