• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice needed from trading experts. [RCI Points]

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading over the posts on this board for a bit now and I think I am starting to get a handle on some of this. However, I am still confused about a couple of things especially when it comes to RCI points.

First can the number of points assigned to a contract change over time? I have heard is a point is a point and that some timeshares have good trading value. What I am not sure of is, can this change over time?

Speaking particularly about RCI points, I have heard that the Grandview in Las Vegas has good trade value. Looking into the company Vacation village I have heard that they all have unusually high trading value for their mf. Is there a resort that is better than Grandview for mf relative to trading power?

Thanks

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about trade value but I wouldnt run out and buy one. These have been offered here for free.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know about trade value but I wouldnt run out and buy one. These have been offered here for free.

Grandview has been offered for free but those are the non-points contract or the ones with RCI points which the maintenance fee to RCI points ratio are similar to the average timeshare and not the 122,000 point contract for $700 in annual maintenance.

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview has been offered for free but those are the non-points contract or the ones with RCI points which the maintenance fee to RCI points ratio are similar to the average timeshare and not the 122,000 point contract for $700 in annual maintenance.

I noticed that some of the Grandview contracts didn’t look like the MF to RCI points ratios were as good. Is this one of the times where MF are based on the unit and do not fluctuate with the season?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how the Colonies traded? It is also a Vacation village property, but the units go up to 4 bedrooms without a big jump in MF. I was wondering if they would be worth considerably more RCI points?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading..,am still confused .... when it comes to RCI points.

First can the number of points assigned to a contract change over time? .... Yes, at one of my RCI Points resorts the VALUE for each interval CHANGED ... lucky, it went up because the reviews were very improved over the past years and years.

<snip> ...

Another thing about RCI Points, there are 3 booking windows - HOME WEEK, HOME RESORT and HOME GROUP ... if you have NOT heard of these, it may be a reason as to WHY some of us are LESS CONCERNED about the best ratio as we prefer to be in a certain area or resort .. these booking windows gives us a sizable head start on the masses in RCI.

HOME WEEK is the week you own (or season you own) at your Home RESORT 13 months out. Must book 7 nights.

HOME RESORT is first crack at weeks 12 months out at YOUR HOME RESORT which the owners did NOT book for themselves. You as a resort owner gets FIRST dibs with an exchange fee of $40 per week... must book 7 night.

HOME GROUP is the 11 months out from checkin and it is the FULL RCI POINTS exchange fee. Why so good --- if I want a summer CAPE COD week and my HOME GROUP has CAPE COD resorts, this is the ONLY way to get it. Again, ahead of the masses on RCI Points - just fighting a larger subset than HOME RESORT... just a better booking window.

As with ALL timeshares, advance planning is absolutely required for the BEST of vacationing ... no planning and YOU & your family get the scraps (leftovers) for your yearly vacation.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that some of the Grandview contracts didn’t look like the MF to RCI points ratios were as good. Is this one of the times where MF are based on the unit and do not fluctuate with the season?

Yes, the maintenance fees are the same for all seasons, i.e. you will pay $700 for a 2 bedroom the difference is how many RCI points you will receive for that week. For Grandview, the have 80,000 or 98,000 or 122,000 for the 2 bedroom- all pay $700 maintenance fee

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the maintenance fees are the same for all seasons, i.e. you will pay $700 for a 2 bedroom the difference is how many RCI points you will receive for that week. For Grandview, the have 80,000 or 98,000 or 122,000 for the 2 bedroom- all pay $700 maintenance fee

Thanks for the info. Besides MF and RCI exchange fees, are there any other fees associated with owning at Grandview?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Besides MF and RCI exchange fees, are there any other fees associated with owning at Grandview?

About $90 yr RCI Points membership.

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing about RCI Points, there are 3 booking windows - HOME WEEK, HOME RESORT and HOME GROUP ... if you have NOT heard of these, it may be a reason as to WHY some of us are LESS CONCERNED about the best ratio as we prefer to be in a certain area or resort .. these booking windows gives us a sizable head start on the masses in RCI.

HOME WEEK is the week you own (or season you own) at your Home RESORT 13 months out. Must book 7 nights.

HOME RESORT is first crack at weeks 12 months out at YOUR HOME RESORT which the owners did NOT book for themselves. You as a resort owner gets FIRST dibs with an exchange fee of $40 per week... must book 7 night.

HOME GROUP is the 11 months out from checkin and it is the FULL RCI POINTS exchange fee. Why so good --- if I want a summer CAPE COD week and my HOME GROUP has CAPE COD resorts, this is the ONLY way to get it. Again, ahead of the masses on RCI Points - just fighting a larger subset than HOME RESORT... just a better booking window.

As with ALL timeshares, advance planning is absolutely required for the BEST of vacationing ... no planning and YOU & your family get the scraps (leftovers) for your yearly vacation.

Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, the home week advantage only works at your home resort?

As for the Home group I have looked at some of the other resorts that Vacation Villas operates. They look nice and I would probably like to visit some of them. I was hoping that someone could tell me more about some of these other resorts. The Massanutten resorts look nice, but I think they are a group of resorts and not just one. Does anyone know about these resorts and how do they trade?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. If I understand correctly, the home week advantage only works at your home resort?

As for the Home group I have looked at some of the other resorts that Vacation Villas operates. They look nice and I would probably like to visit some of them. I was hoping that someone could tell me more about some of these other resorts. The Massanutten resorts look nice, but I think they are a group of resorts and not just one. Does anyone know about these resorts and how do they trade?

Yes, home week is for your resort only. Therefore, if you own at Grandview, you have 13 month booking only at Grandview.

Home Group is you are able to book a couple of months in advance in the affiliated resorts from the 9 month mark when everyone in RCI points can book.

Daily Management and Vacation Village have an affiliation so you are able to book Vacation Village resorts in the Home Group period.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about these resorts and how do they trade?

In RCI points, trading power is irrelevant. Points are points, if you have enough points, you can book it.

The only advantage is access to resorts in your Home Group which allows you to book before it is available to everyone in RCI points at the 9 month mark

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, home week is for your resort only. Therefore, if you own at Grandview, you have 13 month booking only at Grandview.

Home Group is you are able to book a couple of months in advance in the affiliated resorts from the 9 month mark when everyone in RCI points can book.

Daily Management and Vacation Village have an affiliation so you are able to book Vacation Village resorts in the Home Group period.

Steve, if you are buying a resort for it's points, don't get all wound up with the home group, home resort stuff. In Points, it's an either/or deal. You either get the bundle of points to use as currency to go anywhere in the inventory, OR you get ONE week at your home resort, or to exchange internally within their system. Not both.

I own one resort for it's points, and have never use a week there.

Jim

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess what I’m asking in relation to other vacation village resorts like the ones at Massanutten is how is the MF to RCI point ratios and how many RCI points would a 4 bedroom unit in the red season be worth?

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, if you are buying a resort for it's points, don't get all wound up with the home group, home resort stuff. In Points, it's an either/or deal. You either get the bundle of points to use as currency to go anywhere in the inventory, OR you get ONE week at your home resort, or to exchange internally within their system. Not both.

I own one resort for it's points, and have never use a week there.

Jim

Thanks Jim. The MF to RCI point ratio is my primary concern, but it seems like it would be an added bonus to like the other resorts you have an advantage booking.

Do you know if some of these other resorts are equal to or better then Grandview in terms of MF to RCI point ratios?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess what I’m asking in relation to other vacation village resorts like the ones at Massanutten is how is the MF to RCI point ratios and how many RCI points would a 4 bedroom unit in the red season be worth?

Not sure about the maintenance fees but here is the RCI points grid that will give you an idea of the number of points for resorts

Update: Upload failed. I think the file is too big.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. The MF to RCI point ratio is my primary concern, but it seems like it would be an added bonus to like the other resorts you have an advantage booking.

Do you know if some of these other resorts are equal to or better then Grandview in terms of MF to RCI point ratios?

My take is that Grandview has as good a point/MF ratio as we know of now, unless there are some well kept secret ones out there. I wish mine were anywhere close to as favorable.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at my RCI Points at ONLY one resort. I use it to book back into the resort for the Winter Weeks I don't own. I use my STUDIO points to book 1bdr units - but I can always go CHEAP and just book the studios - staying ALL winter in South Florida. Of course, my bar tab will break the budget ... those studios are sparse.

Steve_N

TUG Member
Reaction score

If I were to buy a non-point contract is it possible to change it into a RCI point contract and if so do you know how much it costs?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I were to buy a non-point contract is it possible to change it into a RCI point contract and if so do you know how much it costs?

It's called 'converting', and it is a profit center for resorts. We understand that RCI charges something like $500 to do it and resorts are getting $3,000 and up. FAR better to buy one already converted on the resale market. It takes some perseverance, but pays off handsomely.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The Colonies trade with II only.

The average fully loaded 122,000 rci annual points week goes for around $2500-$4000 including closing and transfer fees from a reputable ebay seller. You can go get it for less from questionable sellers at your own risk.

RCI points account are more like $124 a year. There are some discounts for multiyear renewals but at best it brings it down to $100 per year and unlike weeks accounts that occassionally have 2 for 1 discounts, in the last 5 years there was only one $35 discount on a 2 year renewal.