• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Saratoga Springs [5 in] 1BR [?]

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - I just randomly happened to be on RCI today looking around for spring break ideas when I saw a Saratoga Springs 1BR available! I'm not familiar with the resort at all, and we usually stay at Vistana where I own, but have always wanted to stay on property for something different. Anyway, It's my wife and I, and we have 3 kids, who will be ages 10, 7 and almost 5 at the time of the trip. The 1BR says it sleeps 4 adults, but will Disney let us stay in there with 3 kids? Assuming we were comfortable with the known sleeping arrangements of a pullout and 1 bed of course, do they really monitor that? I'm assuming everyone would get a wristband, so it's not like we'll be able to get away with not telling them. Any advice or past experience is very much appreciated!! We have the unit on hold until tomorrow morning.

thanks!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I would, it would be fun for the kids!

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
my son will be almost 5 at the time of the trip, and would likely end up in our bed anyway if it's a king size. guess my question is....is it up to me? or is the resort going to send me away when I show up with 5 people for a 1BR? I called the resort and their official answer was that it's a fire code thing and we wouldn't be allowed to do it, but there are just way too many families at disney for me to think this hasn't come up many times before, just wondering how they handle it in reality

thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Post #1 says it's an RCI exchange.

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are travelling to SSR this summer using a RCI to DVC exchange. We have (2) 1 BR booked. 1 room has 3 adults a 5yo & 8yo on the reservation, the other has 2 adults, a 12yo & a 14yo. When we called to put names on thw reservation DVC allowed 5 on the 1st room, in reality one of the adults will only be with us for 3 nights, so for those 3 nights my 5yo will share the king with us. I did some reading about this and found if you book through disney directly they allow a max of 4 ppl in a 1BR at SSR, but DVC allows you to book for 5. I'm not sure how/if those limits change with an infant...I didn't pay much attention to that because we don't have one. I think you'll be fine assuming you are going through DVC :)

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, and yes, it's through RCI, so maybe there's a distinction there. My thought was just play dumb and point out that it says 4 adults but that i'm aware of the sleeping situation (pull out + king) and that's fine with our family.

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, we have never stayed at SSR, so I can't speak to the roominess (or lack thereof). However, we stayed as a family of 4 at Port Orleans Riverside in a 314 Sq ft room. While it was on the small side, it met our needs and we loved being on property. We figured the 714 Sq ft we'll have in a SSR 1BR will work just fine for our party of 5. I've heard many people say the living room becomes unusable with the pullout open.

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that at all, but our experience with those when we've used them is that we always fold them back up in the morning anyway, and everyone is so exhausted after a day at disney that getting to sleep is usually not an issue

What is transportation like getting from SSR to Magic Kingdom? bus?

Shelb14

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, bus to all the parks. Can walk or take boat to DTD. I heard the Paddock pool is great (we liked that it has a pool bar for drinks & food). We requested building 10. When are you planning to go? We'll be there for 2 weeks next month, so feel free to reach out to me after that and maybe I can answer any questions. The people on this board have been super helpful too!!

antjmar

Reaction score
Also, we have never stayed at SSR, so I can't speak to the roominess (or lack thereof). However, we stayed as a family of 4 at Port Orleans Riverside in a 314 Sq ft room. While it was on the small side, it met our needs and we loved being on property. We figured the 714 Sq ft we'll have in a SSR 1BR will work just fine for our party of 5. I've heard many people say the living room becomes unusable with the pullout open.

We were told that 5 are allowed in a 1 bedroom. (as long as at least one is a child). Hopefully we will be there in April, the room actually looks pretty spacious for a 1br. See link below for more info and floor plan :)

http://yourfirstvisit.net/2014/07/24/review-disneys-saratoga-springs-resort-spa/

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My thought was just play dumb and point out that it says 4 adults but that i'm aware of the sleeping situation (pull out + king) and that's fine with our family.
You don't need to do this. They will put five on the room, and you want to do it above board because you want a band for everyone, and the ability to put everyone on the Magical Express reservation.

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, forgot about all of that, now have to get fastpasses before you even show up! definitely want to just register like normal, glad to hear it won't be an issue. Now we just have to decide if being on property is worth giving up the space we're used to at Vistana.

antjmar

Reaction score
yes, forgot about all of that, now have to get fastpasses before you even show up! definitely want to just register like normal, glad to hear it won't be an issue. Now we just have to decide if being on property is worth giving up the space we're used to at Vistana.

We are on the fence also usually like the space of a 2 bedroom...
Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but since you own in Orlando arent you "blocked" from disney via RCI?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are on the fence also usually like the space of a 2 bedroom...
Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but since you own in Orlando arent you "blocked" from disney via RCI?

With Vistana week - yes

With Scottsdale - no

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I don't deposit my Vistana with RCI, so as far as they're concerned I don't own it. It's in the starwood network which comes with an Interval membership. We usually trade internally with SVN, if not II, but never give it to RCI :)

antjmar

Reaction score
Also, I don't deposit my Vistana with RCI, so as far as they're concerned I don't own it. It's in the starwood network which comes with an Interval membership. We usually trade internally with SVN, if not II, but never give it to RCI :)
OK good! Vistana seems like a great resort, its our secon choice. If we dont get into DVC via RCI we will hopefully be staying in a 2br there.

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana is a great resort, we love it there, just kind of want to mix it up and try something new, I've always wanted to stay on property and just never been able to line up an available DVC week with a week we want to go (especially spring break). I was somehow able to grab a second 1BR at SSR this morning, so currently have 2 on hold!! There is another family maybe going with us so this may just be a sign that SSR is the right call for this trip

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Per DVC Booking tool:
Sleeps 4 – 5th guest can be accommodated, but please note that NO ADDITIONAL BEDDING, LINENS OR TOWELS WILL BE PROVIDED

You have to register guests with DVC, not RCI, so just put 4 in your search, then when you call DVC provide all 5 guest names.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Per DVC Booking tool:

You have to register guests with DVC, not RCI, so just put 4 in your search, then when you call DVC provide all 5 guest names.
Do one of these 5 in a room need to be a child? What age is considered a child? I've got a 15 year old, 12 year old and 10 year old little girl. She could pass for 9 :)
Yes I know it would be cramped but we do have Cypress Harbour booked and just thinking about staying on site.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do one of these 5 in a room need to be a child? What age is considered a child? I've got a 15 year old, 12 year old and 10 year old little girl. She could pass for 9 :)
Yes I know it would be cramped but we do have Cypress Harbour booked and just thinking about staying on site.

Most DVC 1 BRs, with the exception of Value rooms in AKV will allow you to put 5 names in a room. However, in some of them, there is no "bedding" for the 5th person. The ages don't matter in the booking tool, but depending on how big the people are, it could be a tight fit.

It's basically 5 people + 1 child under 3. So it could be 5 adults, or 2A + 3 kids. In Disney, kids are 3-9. 10 is essentially an adult. But as I said, it's 5 people (Regardless of age).

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Most DVC 1 BRs, with the exception of Value rooms in AKV will allow you to put 5 names in a room. However, in some of them, there is no "bedding" for the 5th person. The ages don't matter in the booking tool, but depending on how big the people are, it could be a tight fit.

It's basically 5 people + 1 child under 3. So it could be 5 adults, or 2A + 3 kids. In Disney, kids are 3-9. 10 is essentially an adult. But as I said, it's 5 people (Regardless of age).
Thanks!!! Exactly the info I was looking for.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For us, the space of a 2BR (at one of the other nice resorts in Orlando) far outweighs the onsite benefits if we have to fit the 5 of us in a 1BR at DVC.

Now if the effective cost (cost of your TPUs, exchange fee, and Disney fee) are reasonable, I might consider booking DVC for the on site benefits and a separate timeshare elsewhere to actually use. Might even use the DVC unit for napping and/or lunches.

That's how we look at it. We're pretty spoiled with 2BR timeshares.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with Michael (and realize I didn't explain myself above.) When it is just two of us, a 1BR is fine. For all four of us? I'd rather stay offsite in one of the lovely Orlando area timeshares than pack into a 1BR DVC, even though we "fit".

We haven't had the two-adults-plus-one-teen question yet, but we'll be in that stage for a couple of years after my eldest heads off to college. A 1BR *might* be okay then, but I sure would like the second bath.