• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Reading that mouseowners thread (where even more details and layouts are posted btw) the comments have me realize so clearly that I am just not a Disney head like that, even as I post this while at Aulani.

Sure, I had temporarily lost my mind when I seriously contemplated a large DVC purchase at SSR a couple years ago, but now I feel like posting on that thread "$160 per point buy in with $6 per point MFs? Are you out of your Vulcan minds?!". But even the mighty beefnot might collapse under the weight of the barrage of potential blowback. But I know that DVC ownership, and particularly new resorts like Grand Floridian and now Poly, is about the passion for Disney, not financial logic so much. More power to them. Me, I will look forward to the prospect of exchanging into VGF or PVB in say 2020, but still be perfectly happy with SSR or OKW...

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the Point Chart and the link.
The point requirements for a studio are a pleasant surprise. Maybe I'll get a chance to book a room with my DVC points :)

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My measly 160 points can only do 1 day at the bungalows! :eek:

And I have a family of 6 so a Studio (or a 1BR) is not an option for us anymore.

Last edited:

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. Interesting...

blondietink

Reaction score
Those points charts are crazy. Lots of people might buy small contracts to stay in the studio unit every 3rd year via banking & borrowing. But notice how the points for a week don't divide by 3 for the studio except in one instance forcing people to buy more points. Member fees are too high also.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Nice to see I own enough points to stay in a studio for a week.
Now availability will sure be another matter. :crash:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised at the lukewarm, actually rather cool, reception to the pricing that seems to be metastacizing over at mouseowners after the initially favorable or muted responses.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. We will have to take our chances with a Deluxe Studio. Bungalows - we are out :eek:

Will have to add it to our list of DVC resorts left to stay in - BLT & GFV.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm going to do the tour next week of the new units.
I'll see if I can get some pictures to post here.
It's at night though, so not sure if the pictures will be good.
First time I've ever done a timeshare tour at night.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I guess we won't be seeing any bungalow's under RCI anytime soon!!! lol

DisneyDenis

Reaction score
My measly 160 points can only do 1 day at the bungalows! :eek:

And I have a family of 6 so a Studio (or a 1BR) is not an option for us anymore.

How about 2 connecting Studios (at PVB)? It's actually something doable for a family of 6. The bathrooms are good in that a shower is a separate area from the toilet/tub.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about 2 connecting Studios (at PVB)? It's actually something doable for a family of 6. The bathrooms are good in that a shower is a separate area from the toilet/tub.
A big part of our vacation and reason for getting a TS is to have washer/dryer and kitchen. 2 Studios will not give us any of that. Also, while you can request studios, requests are not guaranteed and our kids are too small to not be with us.

We don't really have a bathroom situation right now as our kids are still small. I can see how it will be an issue once they're teens, but not right now.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, while you can request studios, requests are not guaranteed and our kids are too small to not be with us.

nothing is completely official yet but i would be willing to bet a dole whip that connecting studios will be an actual booking category and not a request.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Just saw the video. Wish I can say something nice even if I could afford it. I'd rather pay off my mortgage--no thanks.

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chalee94: "willing to bet a dole whip"...very clever, I love it. (Dole whips are wonderful) :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm going to do the tour next week of the new units.
I'll see if I can get some pictures to post here.
It's at night though, so not sure if the pictures will be good.
First time I've ever done a timeshare tour at night.

Well I did it by the deadline on Sunday.
Added on and already have the points in my account. :eek:

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I did it by the deadline on Sunday.
Added on and already have the points in my account. :eek:

Addonitis kicked in! How many did you add? :)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chalee94: "willing to bet a dole whip"...very clever, I love it. (Dole whips are wonderful) :)

on the down side, it sounds like i owe Myxdvz a dole whip now.

(i'm definitely surprised DVC blew it on this one... :rolleyes: )

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
on the down side, it sounds like i owe Myxdvz a dole whip now.

(i'm definitely surprised DVC blew it on this one... :rolleyes: )

I'm actually happy with the studios.
Will make this much easier to rent our points since most people want studios.

And the rooms are actually pretty big. You might be able to squeeze into a studio. The two bathroom arrangement could make this work for some families who don't mind a little close knit togetherness. It will probably keep you from eating in the room, but with all the decent options on the monorail line why bother cooking. ;)

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
A couple quick points on cost of Poly and DVC in general, since people always focus on the sticker price, not the total cost per point on contract (since DVC contracts are a fixed number of points).

If you look at OKW presale price in 1991, it was $1.70/pt. on contract in today's dollars. Therefore, the total cost of each point used on that contract this year is $1.70 + $5.84 (MF/pt.) = $7.54/pt.

Compared to Poly pre-sale, each point used this year on that contract costs you $9/pt -- only 20% more than the OKW contract purchased in 1991 on day 1. For comparison, SSR/AUL (sub)/OKW (ext) resale are $7-$8 total cost per point on contract; AUL/BLT/VGC/AKV/OKW are $8-$9; BWV/VWL/BCV/HHI/VGF are $9-$10, and VB is $10+.

In all cases, what this saves you is relative to the cost to rent the same points. Poly points rent for $15-$16 @ 7-11 mos. so buying direct saves you over 40%. Disney rents Poly DVC direct for around $24/pt., so buying saves you over 60% off rack rates.

If you really want to save money, you can easily rent half your points to pay for your MFs, resulting in the remaining points costing you ~$3/pt. To put this in perspective, an average 1bdrm week in DVC across all seasons is 265 pts., so a 1 bdrm week in DVC would only cost you $795 -- less than the MF + RCI fee for the "free" RCI trader people use to trade into DVC (with limited availability and flexibility).

FWIW, we added on @ Poly. We are 1bdrm people, but the lower point Studios will allow us to stay in MK more often, and the benefits of 5 min. monorail to MK, 5 min. walk to TCC Epcot monorail, lake view, Hawaiian feel, largest studios in DVC, and Dole Whips sealed the deal :D We'll probably do split stays there to be able to stay @ MK for 3-4 nights then have a 1bdrm (w/laundry and kitchen) the rest of the nights, and also stay @ Poly for shorter stays (e.g. 6 nights in Lake View Studio week before Christmas for only 132 pts.). If we end up not using it (unlikely), the $15/pt. rental potential is still attractive.

Bottom line, yes, DVC is expensive to purchase, but it does have tremendous value -- and Poly is no exception. :cool:

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
rfc0001 gives a good analysis.
Mickey math works for most of us Disneyphiles.:rofl:

I've been renting half my points the past few years and getting nicely subsidized vacations with the other half. I like to go for long weekends and DVC is great for that and not having to mess with RCI.

Now that I'm retired I can go for long weekday trips and save myself the weekend points cost and still accomplish the same end result of more Disney time for less points. :)

When I tire of Disney I can probably recoup most of my "investment".

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
rfc0001 gives a good analysis.
Mickey math works for most of us Disneyphiles.:rofl:

I've been renting half my points the past few years and getting nicely subsidized vacations with the other half. I like to go for long weekends and DVC is great for that and not having to mess with RCI.
Chris -- sorry for convincing you with my Mickey math -- you'll thank me later when you're sipping Dole Whips on the beach :D
Now that I'm retired I can go for long weekday trips and save myself the weekend points cost and still accomplish the same end result of more Disney time for less points. :)
Not to mention Choice and Adventure season...I was amazed you could stay in a Poly Studio for 2 months from Sep 1-Oct 31 for "only" 1000 points ;)

Russ