• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beware Scammer: Kim Carroll, AKA Carolyn Riley, howardgt4@gmail, softempire4@gmail

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an email from my TUG ad from a Kim Carroll.

Dead give away is

I am interested in booking ASAP...Willing to make full payment.

Please advise, How do we book in as soon as possible.

Also how do you prefer payment ??

Will wait to hear from you soonest.

Anytime I see strange use of the english language i know something is amiss.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I received an email from her this evening as well.

The strange thing is that she asked about my Marriott rental - but it was a Westin rental.

She wanted me to send her my Marriott Acct. number... Hmmmm...

Multiple times I sent her the rental terms, but she just kept asking the same questions.

Kimberly Caroll <howardgt4@gmail.com>

Thanks.
Kim.

--------------

Thanks for responding back.. Yes i will be glad to send all
information's stated below to finalize this booking.

Also I have been burned before and i am so scared about renting!! Do
you have any confirmation showing that you are an owner and i can call
to verify ?? or you have a Marriott account number to verify that you
are legitimately an owner.. I am so willing to rent and will make full
payment as soon as i confirm with you..

Thank.

Kim.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
that email is from a known scammer

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just sent her a nice email thanking her for her interest in my timeshare.

mauiredweek

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scammers softempire4@gmail.com BEWARE

This person emailed me twice with the same language as your DeniseM and a few other with the similar email
Kimberly Caroll howardgt4@gmail.com aslo uses softempire4@gmail.com
gina Thomas & JAZON Walker also are using these emails. BEWARE

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
She just emailed me again - now she is a nurse, so she can't talk on the phone - whatever that is supposed to mean! :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it means she/he doesn't want me to hear their thick foreign accent.

EMAIL: softempire4@gmail.com
PHONE: 469 923 5286

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep!

I got a voice mail from an IRS agent this morning. Thick foreign accent shouting "If you do not take this seriously and call me back THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!!!".

The accent just makes it so hilarious as well as unbelievable but people still fall for it. Crazy.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yep!

I got a voice mail from an IRS agent this morning. Thick foreign accent shouting "If you do not take this seriously and call me back THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!!!".

The accent just makes it so hilarious as well as unbelievable but people still fall for it. Crazy.

" THICK FOREIGN ACCENT "

In Canada we call that a phone call from Texas or Louisiana -----( or how aboot - Newfoundland )

-and yes - the scammers call and say they are from Revenue Canada
( CRA= IRS )

Last edited:

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still scamming

Just got an email from my TUG ad from a Kim Carroll.

Dead give away is

I am interested in booking ASAP...Willing to make full payment.

Anytime I see strange use of the english language i know something is amiss.

It's now Carolyn Riley. (howardgt4@gmail.com)

I am looking for a rental at MOC.

She claimed to have one.

Asked me for 50% down and 50% 30 days prior to my vacation.

Booked it for me.

Put it in my name.

I went to my Marriott log in and checked my reservations, and she/he rented me a hotel room through Marriott with a balance due of almost $5000 had I shown up and not checked the website.

Glad I checked before sending money.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I went to my Marriott log in and checked my reservations, and she/he rented me a hotel room through Marriott with a balance due of almost $5000 had I shown up and not checked the website.

How the heck did the scammer rent a hotel room with a $5000 balance due???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How the heck did the scammer rent a hotel room with a $5000 balance due???

They just made a hotel reservation - or in some cases, photo-shop a hotel confirmation. You don't have to pay in full when you make a hotel reservation until you check-out.

When I was leading a scammer on to see what their scheme was, the same thing happened. The rental they were offering me was a hotel reservation at Harbourside.

They send you a copy of the hotel confirmation in their (probably bogus) name, and ask you to pay 50% to get the reservation transferred to your name. After you pay it, they disappear with your money.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
all it takes is a simple phone call before any money is sent to confirm these...there is literally no excuse at this point to take someone blindly at their word. I dont care who they are.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This scheme sometimes works because an inexperienced renters may not know the difference between a timeshare reservation, and a hotel reservation, at the same resort.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
still need to make a point to call the resort and confirm things before any money is sent!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
She is busy working as a nurse and cant talk on the phone but she can type emails...:hysterical:

You'd be surprised. Smartphones can be a serious problem in the work place. Even with medical staff.

Not saying this isn't a scam, just commenting on the nurse can't talk but e mails at work:ignore:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two calls from IRS scammer at 912-242-3592 Brunswick, GA today

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frustrating

It's now Carolyn Riley. (howardgt4@gmail.com)

I am looking for a rental at MOC.

She claimed to have one.

Asked me for 50% down and 50% 30 days prior to my vacation.

Booked it for me.

Put it in my name.

Glad I checked before sending money.

Second scammer via TUG wish list trying to get me to send them money for a MOC rental that doesn't exist. Contacted by: bryonbowman922@yahoo.com

Just be heads up everyone!

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I got an inquiry from CarolynRiley@usa.com. After a couple of email exchanges she said she wanted to rent my unit and provided me her address and phone number (347 305 6774), and a condition to pay in full as soon as she receive the confirmation and the rental contract. So, I made reservation and send a copy of the confirmation to her together with the rental contract. I then followed up with a phone call to confirm but a man with a foreign accent answered and said that he is the husband and that they have not received the confirmation. I sent the confirmation again and got an emsil respond that she received the confirmation but can't send the payment until I sign the rental contract which she said in a google doc attached to the email. I'm now really suspicious (since I already was when the supposedly husband answered the phone twice and can't get the wife to the phone) so I checked the URL and it pointed to another unknown site.

So, I'm not sure if the scam angle is to to gain access to my account via some kind of a malicious program, or collect the reservation confirmation and rent the unit to someone else. Regardless, I just told her to send me the payment via Paypal or I'm going to cancel the reservation.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wonderful! keep spreading the word so more folks know not to click these spyware links!