• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points Question

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a timeshare from another TUG member that has been converted to RCI points. We bought the timeshare to use with our family and have, at least for the next several years, no interest in depositing it. We do not have, nor do we particularly want, a points account at this time. The resort handled all of the legal transfer paperwork. There was some confusion about the 2016 use of the week, which I did not want and which had already been deposited; the previous owner called the resort about the points use. Honestly, the woman who did the paperwork was a bit of a flake - she emailed me with the wrong name, misunderstood intentions, asked the seller to complete the wrong sections and so on - she also implied she would handle the escrow and then didn't. The reason I recount this is when the seller requested clarification, this is the email she sent us:

"The Z's have occupancy/ownership beginning 2017. If they are not adding the unit to a points account or transferring your account over, the unit needs to be cancelled out of the RCI membership.

If it does not get cancelled out, RCI will continue to think you own the unit and will continue to deposit 2017, 2018 points and beyond into your account.

So, while I understand you want to finish using the 2015 & 2016 points, the account will need to be cancelled in the near future, so they will be able to use the ownership."

Can this be so? There is legal documentation that I now own the timeshare but the former owner has to stop RCI from automatically taking the points? Of what value is the legal documentation if this is so? For the record, the seller is a lovely woman and I do believe that she would do what she needs to and be fair and honest with me but this email is making me crazy.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Best,
Judi Z

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I bought an RCI points timeshare, I had to pay for the RCI points account, even though I didn't want it. I was in the same situation as you where there were already points assigned to the account. I had to use RCI points for that first year. I called the resort and told them to take the week out of RCI points and just let me have the week ownership going forward without any RCI points. They were able to do that starting the following year.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The points are for 2017; 2016 points had already been deposited by seller. On the paperwork, I could opt out of joining RCI points and did. What you seem to be saying is that is the resort that needs to make the change. Am I correct?

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The points are for 2017; 2016 points had already been deposited by seller. On the paperwork, I could opt out of joining RCI points and did. What you seem to be saying is that is the resort that needs to make the change. Am I correct?

My resort needed to do it, but I was not given a choice about joining RCI points. They made an RCI points account for me in my name during the closing process. It sounds like you had a choice when you bought yours.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Presley. I just don't want to pay m/f's and show up next August to discover my week has been deposited.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Thank you, Presley. I just don't want to pay m/f's and show up next August to discover my week has been deposited.

I'm not an RCI points owner, but I think you have to notify them at least 12 months out that you intend to use the week, otherwise it automatically gets deposited.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my! I will check on this immediately.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
This is the RCI points transfer form: http://www.rci.com/static/docs/namer/en_US/RCI_Pts_Mem_trans_agrmt_1.pdf

Towards the end is this box: _____ _____ [Transferee’s Initials] Transferee does not (at this time) desire to become a member of RCI Points.
Notes: In conversion from RCI Weeks to RCI Points later membership may require Transferee to utilize the services of a certified conversion agent

Sometimes it is obnoxious to get a week out of points. You do need to notify a minimum of 12 months or it will be converted to points and you will lose next years usage. You usually can get it out when transferring as long as you notify the resort and I would complete the transfer form saying you are removing it out of points as well.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I was an RCI pts owner and it was a little complicated getting my unit out of RCI points. Sorry but I think the email the resort sent to the seller about using up the 2015-16 points etc seems about right.

Several years ago when I wanted to get my unit out of RCI points, RCI told me my points agreement was for renewable 3 year periods. and I was in the 2nd year of one. If i waited until the end of the 3rd year, I could keep my accumulated points and take the unit out of points. My resort (starwood at the time) told me there was nothing they could do while my unit was in the RCI points program; the resort had to release a week to RCI at RCI's request. The only way I could get my unit out of RCI points without waiting nearly 2 years was to cancel my RCI membership, which also would remove any existing reservations and accumulated points. So I waited till I completed my remaining reservation trip, then cancelled my RCI membership BEFORE my RCI anniversary date. I did not lose my next year's usage.

I think in your case, RCI has not been notified of the change in ownership. You could possibly send RCI a copy of the new deed. This might result in undesirable effects to the seller. Best if one or both of you call RCI to find out the options. RCI might not tell you much if you don't have an account with them.

btw, when my unit was in points, I did have 12-15 months to reserve my fixed week. But RCI didn't credit the points until my membership anniversary date. And I found out thru my resort, that they didn't release the week to RCI until the end of the year for the following use year.

Good luck!

Last edited:

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you scootr5, tschwa2 and presley. I will be contacting the seller to let her know that we need to be proactive about this. Neither she nor I knew what we were dealing with. I can assure you that the representative of the resort either didn't know or didn't care. I will, as I always do, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon) Life is ever so much more pleasant that way. :)

Again, thank you all. I read TUG vociferously, I post seldom. Thank you for your responses.

Best,
Judi Z