• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace timeshare: exchange company questions (HSI/SFX/???)

rjsweet_1234

Reaction score
I recently purchased at the Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya. I was told during the sale that I would be going through HSI to do exchanges ($99 yearly fee, first year paid for), but was also given a free membership to SFX. I was contacted by a SFX rep last night, who told me that I would need to use SFX if I wanted to exchange beyond the Mayan Palace resorts (that HSI was limited to Mayan Palace exchanges - not consistent with my understanding of HSI). I believe there are different levels of SFX membership, I think he was pushing the highest level ($249 a year, or a $1,900 lifetime membership).

What do people typically use for exchanging Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan units (I would like to exchange beyond Mexico occasionally), and do you have any insights on HSI vs. SFX (do you think the SFX fees are worth it)? I was not expecting to ever pay anything beyond the yearly $99 HSI fee going forward (I also own a timeshare through II, I figured it was the same structure). Thanks.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When ever someone calls you

They are trying to sell you something that you don't want or don't need and that describes this new SFX program.

SFX gold is a free membership, and that is all you need for 1 or 2 weeks of ownership.
The trade fee is a little more as a gold member, but not enough to offset the $250 a year.
I have never used HSI, nor do I know of anyone that has, it sounds really good when the timeshare weasels are telling you about it, but in truth it seems like a valueless program.

fwiw,

Greg

I recently purchased at the Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya. I was told during the sale that I would be going through HSI to do exchanges ($99 yearly fee, first year paid for), but was also given a free membership to SFX. I was contacted by a SFX rep last night, who told me that I would need to use SFX if I wanted to exchange beyond the Mayan Palace resorts (that HSI was limited to Mayan Palace exchanges - not consistent with my understanding of HSI). I believe there are different levels of SFX membership, I think he was pushing the highest level ($249 a year, or a $1,900 lifetime membership).

What do people typically use for exchanging Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan units (I would like to exchange beyond Mexico occasionally), and do you have any insights on HSI vs. SFX (do you think the SFX fees are worth it)? I was not expecting to ever pay anything beyond the yearly $99 HSI fee going forward (I also own a timeshare through II, I figured it was the same structure). Thanks.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 3 levels of membership at SFX. The Gold is free, the platinum membership fee varies with the length of your membership and the diamond is very expensive. Unless you want to take upscale cruises, I personally don't see a benefit to having the diamond membership.

Sue

croppers01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just traded in my DRI points and purchased at the Royal Mayan as well. I actually contacted HSI and got the details on their exchange program. It seems as though you exchange through them for $65 for Domestic trades and $90 for International trades. The only additional cost would be the differnce in cost of the week you deposited and the cost of the week you want to purchase. I haven't done any more research to find out what the typical cost is for some resorts that I'd be interested in but I guess we'll see.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they mention you can also exchange through RCI?

Tropical lady

Reaction score
where did RCI go??

Adirondacker 1,
When we purchased Mayan Palace we were set up with RCI and SFX. I know the programs change as do the contracts, but I am questioning why you are not mentioning RCI. Did they not include membership to RCI? With subsequent upgrades we were given HSI, The Registry Collection, and now II. All of these memberships were paid for by Grupo Vidanta for at least the first 2 years and with upgrades we included more paid membership. We still have all of these, but so far have only used RCI and II for the extra vacations and getaways.
It is my understanding that you can exchange through any of these programs except TRC and II at the Mayan Palace level. I have not seen anything on the web site to indicate that any of these affiliations have been discontinued. I think that you would do best with RCI.
If you do not see anything for RCI in your paperwork, call customer service and have someone from membership services (not sales, but the person you met with to sign the paperwork) call you about this. If you have the phone# for membership services then call directly.
Hope this helps........

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just have regular MP weeks and have had very good luck with SFX. I think HSI is useless.

Lynn

rjsweet_1234

Reaction score
Info...

Thank you very much for the information. They did extend RCI membership for a year, I neglected to mention that. I have no familiarity with HSI or SFX - thus my questions. It sounds like I should pursue using either RCI or SFX to exchange my Mayan Palace unit... If anyone has suggestions/insights on using one over the other, I would appreciate it. Thanks.