• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why is "cost" typically only associated with MF's? What about the money spent to buy?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the OP needs to grow some thicker skin. Sheesh.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
In the Uk, they cut to the chase. Some pie has beer in it. MMMMmmmmm Pie.

But fruit pies suck here though. They make great fruit pies in the US, the Netherlands and Germany, but not in the UK. Man, I wish we had boysenberry!

Ooops, sorry, Off topic.

Bottom line, I do consider my purchase price when looking at value, not MFs. I do still think overall we get better financial value (and definately social value) out of MVCI than a hotel. I try not to think about the cheaper options of resale (which I said, when we bought the resort was quite new, so resales were few and far between) or other programmes (though in Europe, quality non MVCI sites where we want to go are few and far between).

Love that cartoon btw.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose for the owners who have owned for quite some time are well in the green on their ownership's, but what about us newbies or people adding on to their portfolios? You're paying or have paid for ownership plus your maintenance fees and traveling, why do you only associate the cost of your vacation with the MFs?

Welcome to TUG!

You are correct, I did amortize the purchase price based on a 10-year depreciation, but I haven't purchased retail in over 10 years so have no NBV. Another thing I include is the yearly costs to belong to an exchange company and the exchange fee, which can easily add up to $200 to the cost of the week.

I do offset the timeshare cost with the liquor/food expense. My extended family (Mom, Siblings, Children, Spouses and Grandchildren) travel together one week of the year. We take turns cooking dinner in each of our units. A family can easily eat-in for the week on what it costs to take everyone out for one nice meal.

Also, many resorts have on-site activities included or for a nominal fee, so you don't have to spend exhorbitant fees on keeping everyone occupied off premises every day. And my home resort provides Owners with discounts to on-site golf, spa and restaurants.

I have a spreadsheets detailing the costs of every trip I've taken since 1991, but no matter how you account for the expense, in my opinion it is money well spent.

Wishing you many great vacations with family and frends!

Maria

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
But why do I have to explain any part of my personal situation? The question posed had nothing to do with me personally so I'm not sure why anyone had to go there in the first place. Why do I have to state I've already bought? Why do people assume I haven't bought yet? Now you're reaching...

Again, if you mention something in your post, people will take that into consideration when giving advice, and they should. If you don't want it commented on, don't divulge it, it's that simple. People assume you haven't bought yet, because you never mentioned you had. That being said, after more thoroughly reading the first page of posts, people did go in a completely different direction than your intention, but I suppose "welcome to the world of message boards"

Back to your original question, you have inspired me to update my own spreadsheet to reflect my Europe vacation of a couple of months ago. My purchase price of my timeshare in 2009 was $3300, I have paid $3150 in maintenance Fees, $387 in lock-off fees, $774 in exchange fees, $267 in Interval Fees and $307 for a getaway fee, for a total of $8185.

In those 3 years, I have stayed in 1-bedrooms in Ko Olina, Timberlodge, Frenchman's Cove (actually 2 but only need 1), and one TBD. I have used 2-bedrooms in Newport Coast, Marbella, and Marriott's Village d'Ile de France. This totals to 70 hotel room nights (I don't stay in condos, only resorts). I estimated the following costs per hotel room night for a place I would likely pay to stay at: Ko Olina: $225, Newport Coast $150, Timber Lodge $150, Marbella $225, France $225, Frenchman's Cove $200, and my TBD night at $150. This brings my total if staying in hotel rooms to $13475, leading to a savings of $5290, plus the obvious benefits of timeshares over hotel rooms.

I did not factor in time value of money, because nothing is paying any interest anyhow, and I did not pay any interest on any of the above items.

Any suggestions for adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

loafingcactus

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<<This brings my total if staying in hotel rooms to $13475, leading to a savings of $5290, plus the obvious benefits of timeshares over hotel rooms.>>

Your spreadsheet is doing a diffent project than my spreadsheet in that you are analysing the past and I am making decisions for the future ("Is this a good use of my points, given their actual cost?"), still, if you wanted to give yourself a dining difference, it would make your savings even more. For someone who is deciding between renting and buying points, that is pointless to the analysis. I wouldn't go to the hassle of renting regularly, so I know my choice is between hotels and timeshare, and even worse I tend to frequent expensive restaurants, so that savings will be significant (and, for non-dollar savings, also let me focus on enjoying selected fine dining when I go out by choice).

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
The original poster, stthomaslovers, has informed us that no future paricipation in this board is desired, so we have removed this account's registration. Feel free to continue the discussion, but the original poster has taken his ball and gone home.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Money Cheerfully Refunded If Not Satisfactory.

Feel free to continue the discussion, but the original poster has taken his ball and gone home.
Did he ask for his money back ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

cbm32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh to be 22 again and know everything, and have the benefit of righteous indignation on my side. ;)

People like that that THINK they know everything are REALLY irritating to those of us that DO know everything. :rofl:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The original poster, stthomaslovers, has informed us that no future paricipation in this board is desired, so we have removed this account's registration. Feel free to continue the discussion, but the original poster has taken his ball and gone home.

His loss I guess. He will miss out on years of valuable information by not participating.

josh1231

TUG Member
Reaction score
<<This brings my total if staying in hotel rooms to $13475, leading to a savings of $5290, plus the obvious benefits of timeshares over hotel rooms.>>

Your spreadsheet is doing a diffent project than my spreadsheet in that you are analysing the past and I am making decisions for the future ("Is this a good use of my points, given their actual cost?"), still, if you wanted to give yourself a dining difference, it would make your savings even more. For someone who is deciding between renting and buying points, that is pointless to the analysis. I wouldn't go to the hassle of renting regularly, so I know my choice is between hotels and timeshare, and even worse I tend to frequent expensive restaurants, so that savings will be significant (and, for non-dollar savings, also let me focus on enjoying selected fine dining when I go out by choice).

I do not rent either, so like yourself, for me it's either hotel or timeshare. Although I had decided to do so, I have not yet converted to the points system. We don't have any kids so we can travel anytime therefore I don't have a problem usually trading into anywhere I want. There is a dining difference, but for us probably not that much. We still eat out a lot, though when we were in Marbella and Paris my parents were with us and we ate in a lot, saving a significant amount of money, probably upwards of $1,000 for the two weeks. I do try to take everything into account when considering whether or not to buy a timeshare, and so far I have been very happy with my purchase, so happy in fact I'm bidding on another one on Ebay as I type this.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Perhaps with Irene bearing down on him in NY he didn't want to "get in over his head"?

:rofl:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
... the original poster has taken his ball and gone home.
Too bad - I enjoyed reading the fresh perspective of a young forum member.

As someone else said ... "his 22 was showing".

Ah the passion of youth - was I really that sensitive and volatile at age 22? (I can't remember that far back.)

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Darn!! :annoyed:

Just when things were getting lively. ;)

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
People like that that THINK they know everything are REALLY irritating to those of us that DO know everything. :rofl:

Why do they refuse donkeys admission to college

Cause nobdy likes a smart a##

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I am confused. Was OP shown the door b/c TUG mods/admin felt he was petulant? Or because he asked for his BBS registration and/or membership to be terminated?!

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I believe it says it was his request
you are right, sorry I was reading this thread on a moving sailboat, did not read carefully enough

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am confused. Was OP shown the door b/c TUG mods/admin felt he was petulant? Or because he asked for his BBS registration and/or membership to be terminated?!

H

Not sure why someone would cancel their registration. If it were me, I would just stop coming around. The OP can still be reading these boards, just not signed in.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure why someone would cancel their registration. If it were me, I would just stop coming around. The OP can still be reading these boards, just not signed in.

Considering the level of "defensiveness" I would bet money he's still reading every word. :zzz:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Considering the level of "defensiveness" I would bet money he's still reading every word. :zzz:

Well if you're reading this, please come back and play.
We were having fun. :D

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
What happened Tuggers?

Most 22 year olds are bareley functioning adults. Young adults these days have a huge learning curve to fit in with full grown adults. Having a 23 year old myself, I can't imagine her having the maturity to deal with the myriad personalities here.

While no one deserves special treatment, it's regretful that more acceptance wasn't shown for someone who's trying to learn and participate. Why didn't TUG's normally generous, helpful characteristics shine through.

Yes, I realize that the OP needed to just ignore certain statements and let it go. He perpetuated some of the very issues he wished to dismiss. But it takes two to tango. I'm kind of sad that we pushed away a young person who has much to learn from us here.

Last edited: