• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not paying Maintenance Fees

Reaction score
I would love to get out of the timeshare I have owned for 15+ years. It's with Raintree (used to be Club Regina when I purchased). I dug up my old regulations for the resort which states in Chapter IV, Article 4.4 "Non-payment of the Maintenance Fee during 2 (two) consecutive years shall imply rescission of the contract."
Does anyone have any familiarity with someone trying this? I remember some years ago asking the agent who sold it to me about how to get out of it and she said "Oh, just don't pay for 2 years". It is all paid for except for the maintenance fees of course. The current expiration (it seems that every time they make some kind of management change they increase this) is 2046. I will not live that long and really don't want to pay these fees until I die.
Thanks

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call and ask if they would rather have it right now than wait until you don't pay for 2 years. They might say yes. Who knows unless you ask.

George

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I dug up my old regulations for the resort which states in Chapter IV, Article 4.4 "Non-payment of the Maintenance Fee during 2 (two) consecutive years shall imply rescission of the contract."

Boy, it sure would simplify things for all timeshare owners- AND the HOA's if ALL contract were written this way. Don't use or want it, just don't pay. The end.

I don't know how or if it would work with deeded properties, but for the points, or vacation club type, that would be the ticket.

Jim

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Sounds to me as if you've been provided a way out. If they try to collect, send them a copy of that provision of the contract and state it's your intention to exercise your contractual right. If they try to ding your credit record, you can challenge the report and send the credit bureau a copy of the provision in the contract, showing you're recinding the contract rather than not paying a debt.

We made the mistake of joining a travel club several years back. Once we figured out we weren't going to use it, we just stopped paying the membership fee's. They kept trying to get us to pay for several years before giving up. It was never reported as a bad debt on our credit reports. The company finally went bankrupt (Travel More Now) but apparently had their contracts bought out. We were contacted by the "new" company about paying our membership fee's and turned them down flat. We haven't heard anything for a few years now. In the end, it was as simple as not paying out membership fee's.

Last edited: