• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Photo Album: HGVC Elara 1 bedroom Grand Plus

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

aamista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woow it looks great.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Just added photo's of the pool deck

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. The resort looks great. This building was owned by Westgate Resort.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Nice photos! I stayed in the Westgate units before the HGVC remodel, nice to see how they have changed it.

I wondered about the missing 40s on the elevators too, assumed those were the empty floors that had not been built out. We were on 35 and one morning I went down for coffee and pushed 36 going back, it was quite a surprise when I walked in to find housekeeping cleaning the unit, where was all my stuff lol.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I wonder if the original plan was to build out residences on those floors?

No buttons would keep the drunken tourists off your floors and there could have been a private elevator for residents.

Just got done watching Queen of Versailles. The original plans were for two of those towers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Apparently 40s are back luck to some Asian cultures. So they just omitted the numbers. So floors 50 are really 40, there is no gap in the floors, just in the numbering.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually it is the number "4" that Asian culture have a phobia about. It sounds similar to the word for "death".

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Just got done watching Queen of Versailles. The original plans were for two of those towers.

I really enjoyed that movie.. they seemed so out of touch with reality...

As for Elara, my son has stayed there a few times and loves it. I hope to get there next year..

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

HatTrick

Reaction score
I heard that floors 40-49 are reserved for Howard Hughes... :D

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for posting all those wonderful pictures, Doug. Looks like a fun place to stay.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like how the room is less tacky than the Westgate decorated ones. Nicer carpets and furniture go a long way.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I like how the room is less tacky than the Westgate decorated ones. Nicer carpets and furniture go a long way.

I agree. I was relieved to see we were in an updated room. I much prefer the elegance of HGVC to the tacky days-gone-by of Vegas. I wish they had also removed a lot of the mirrors that seem to be everywhere. I've never found them to be "romantic" and they only serve to remind me that it's easy to eat to much in Vegas.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going in April, but picked up the unit via my straight up TPUs RCI account. Booked it in May last year. It was outside the window to book it with my HGVC portal. And it was way cheaper than my Wyndham, which would have been 205K.

It was only 11 TPUs for a 2 BR in April. A lot cheaper than any of my other portals.

My cheapest TPU gets me 14 for about $350. So with exchange fee of $209 and a few TPUs as change, that would be about $559 for the week.

In HGVC, this is likely 8400 to 9200 HGVC points exchange, and at my cost per point about $1600 - $2000 plus the exchange fee.

In Wyndham my costs would have been in the $1100 range. Plus the exchange fee.

In any scenarios I don't think that I would have got a PLUS unit. But it is nice to have options.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
If you don't mind the chance you'll get the 4th floor unit facing the parking garage, then you're in good shape. Those units would definately be on my avoid list. Aside from the noise of the parking garage, you'll get to deal with headlights pointed in the direction of your unit all night long. The shades might keep the headlights out of your bedroom or they might illuminate the shade to some extent. At any rate, I would try to get a unit on the 7th floor or higher (I think the garage is 6 stories). Or get a room on the pool side of the building.

chickensoop

Reaction score
pool

How is the pool - is it open to the sun all day, or does a building block the sun at a certain time?

JeroMan

Reaction score
What's the difference between 1 bedroom, grand, grand plus?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Love the photos. Elara is now my favorite resort in Vegas. Perfect location on the strip and next to the Miracle Shops.

The owners pool deck is terrific and resort has "just enough' distinctive decor to make you feel like you are in Vegas but not over the top (unlike the Westgate decor which had red sofas and black walls). Also have stayed at the Grand Chateau across the street and Blvd. Both very nice resorts with MVC and HGVD issue tasteful decor but could be located anywhere. Nothing distinctive. IMO Blvd is too far away from the action. Blvd and GC offer more family friendly activities so if you have young kids, I would recommend those locations.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
What's the difference between 1 bedroom, grand, grand plus?

The grand units are larger and have the sectional L shaped couch. The grand plus units are on the highest floors (50 and above).

We generally pay extra for the Grand Plus unit. We like the extra room and don’t have to worry about getting one of the lowest floors with potentially a view into the parking garage. They’re also high enough we don’t have to be concerned with traffic noise. Oddly enough we don’t stay out late in Vegas.