• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
$89.50 for 15K UR via MS and then using for travel seems like an extremely good return, congrats! Sounds like you figured a way to streamline the logistics also...:)
Our Hyatt hotel stays are usually 8K, so we pay $48 for a hotel room (no taxes) in Santa Clara, CA, near SJC airport. It's a great value.

None of my kids will do it. It's bizarre to me, they are in their late 30's, all three of them. But it does take time, and something mom does for a hobby is not all that smart, apparently.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks for the link. My experience is that the 5/24 rule was applied based on the number of new accounts from all issuers, not just Chase accounts. And, they counted AU accounts and Equity LOCs towards the total. I asked for reconsideration since excluding those from the total brings me under 5.

My experience is that the CC companies are more concerned with the total amount of outstanding credit than they are with the number of credit cards.

I was recently denied a Citi card when I applied online. I called the reconsideration number provided and I was told I was denied because I had 6 other Citi cards with very high amount of total credit. They asked permission to take some credit from one card and apply to the new card and the new card was then approved.

If you get denied always call and find out why you were denied. I churn credit cards for miles/points all the time and the only time I've been denied has been for the reason I mentioned above.
Where would you find the reconsideration number for chase? I was not denied outright but was not confirmed immediately either. I want to follow up. I would be happy to shift the credit from a few infrequently used cards to the new chase sapphire reserve.
Thx

And it can happen to anyone ;)

For me, the past month has caused major FOMOP (Fear of Missing Out on Points). While I’ve been happy that TPG readers have been pulling in millions — if not billions — of Ultimate Rewards points, I’ve felt like I’ve been missing out on something. I applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve the first day it came out and was finally approved last Friday. That period of 18 days that I had to wait from application to approval was a very dark time for me. During that period, I was followed by TPG readers taunting me on Snapchat and Twitter with their flashy new cards and crisp approval letters.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/how-i-got-the-chase-sapphire-reserve/#ixzz4KbprqSxo

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I applied thanks to you enablers. I got the wait 7-10 day message but see the card in my account today. I think I applied a week ago. I have a United Chase card and it appeared online with that card. I thought I might get denied since I have a lot of other cards (Have been meaning to close some) but got a 33k limit. GrayFal, maybe just wait it out.

Deb

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I applied thanks to you enablers. I got the wait 7-10 day message but see the card in my account today. I think I applied a week ago. I have a United Chase card and it appeared online with that card. I thought I might get denied since I have a lot of other cards (Have been meaning to close some) but got a 33k limit. GrayFal, maybe just wait it out.

Deb

Interestingly I just went on chase and there was a link that said "Chase has the right card for you" and it links me to an application for chase Sapphire reserve :cool: So maybe you are right and I will just wait it out :rolleyes:

annac113

Reaction score
I read today that the CC is so popular they ran out of the plastic...

I ended up getting the plastic version too! Chase sent me a letter saying to use it temporarily until they have the metal version available. Amazing that Chase didn't even spend any advertising money on this card - all from word of mouth!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We were considering the American Express Platinum, but I couldn't justify the expense for the benefits offered. This one is so much better.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the plastic version too! Chase sent me a letter saying to use it temporarily until they have the metal version available. Amazing that Chase didn't even spend any advertising money on this card - all from word of mouth!

The power of an outstanding signing bonus and good benefits.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were considering the American Express Platinum, but I couldn't justify the expense for the benefits offered. This one is so much better.

I am interested in this CC. Will probably switch my SPG to Plat.

The Ritz CC is also a good one if you are interested in Marriott Plat after spending $75K per CC year. Their airport lounge benefits are better than the Saphyre.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Robin just got her CSR tonite - metal...
mine... plastic

already charged the $300 travel credit, and GE for both.
now to work on that 2x $4K spend...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Robin just got her CSR tonite - metal...
mine... plastic

already charged the $300 travel credit, and GE for both.
now to work on that 2x $4K spend...

Did your Annual Fee post right away or does it take a while to post?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Here is a way to get an Amex platinum with no fee for the first year. You do not have to be an Ameriprise customer. I'm not an Ameriprise customer and I got the card about two months ago, no fee and includes the $200 airline credit, GE fee and all other Amex platinum benefits.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/...m-american-express/apf-002/carddetails#/cshop

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did your Annual Fee post right away or does it take a while to post?

I received my card August 25th, the annual fee posted on September 1st.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Thanks for the link. My experience is that the 5/24 rule was applied based on the number of new accounts from all issuers, not just Chase accounts. And, they counted AU accounts and Equity LOCs towards the total. I asked for reconsideration since excluding those from the total brings me under 5.

It took a few days but my request for reconsideration was approved. They manually reviewed and excluded the AU and LOC accounts which brought the total number under 5.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
OK, so I still have a loan with VSE for my Nanea Maui property that I purchased in June (which I am planning to pay off soon). And we have this Starwood Sapphire Reserve card. I made a test payment for $100 and was pleased to find out it was considered in the Travel Category.

The payment was made to: HRE INC E/A FOR NANEA and I got 3X on points: 300 points. It shows right on the transaction statement on the online account once it gets out of pending. Which is worth 450 points towards airline tickets. I also received a $100 credit for the yearly travel bonus so that was cool.

I made the same payment to my SPG Card. From past payments it looks like I get 2X the points... 200 SPG points.

Now I think at the moment the SPG points are worth more than the Ultimate Rewards Points (SPG points are usually considered twice as valuable as other points), but the merger with Marriott becoming final on Friday, I'm not sure what to think.

Or I could just hedge and place 1/2 of what I owe on one card and the other half on the other.

I imagine the MF works the same way (from what other people have said).

Last edited:

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
The Marriott/SPG Merger has closed.

SPG points have just been valued at 3X Marriott points. Yay! Could have been worse.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/linking-marriott-and-spg-accounts/

Marriott points are valued by The Points Guy at .07/point. SPG points valued at 2.5/point. Close enough.

Think this new Chase card gives you more value, IF you buy airline tickets with the Ultimate Rewards points. 1.5 x 3 = 4.5 UR points (with airline tkts).

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Could someone share how fast the turnaround was after you applied for this card until you received it?

Thanx

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Could someone share how fast the turnaround was after you applied for this card until you received it?

Thanx

2 business days for both of us. One was received via FedEx and the other UPS.

Last edited:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thank you! :D Hope that holds true for us too.