• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Laguanamar

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating an E-Plus trade into this resort for April. A couple questions if you all don't mind.

1. Only studio available right now, it will work for our family of 3. But, would prefer a 1 BR. I can hold out for another retrade later to a 1BR - but wondering what the frequency of offerings are at this resort. Does Westin mini-bulk bank a couple months ahead of time like Marriott seems to do?

2. We will have 11 YO with us. Are there scheduled activities for the kiddo's?

3. Surrounding area: Are their restaurants, shops, etc within easy & safe walking distance?

4. What else is there to do in the area - we are not people to sit at the beach all day long.

Thanks and any other tid-bits of info appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can't answer 2-4, but Vistana has a new management company, so it's really hard to say how that will impact deposits.

However, "generally" when Starwood was the management company, they deposited more off-season weeks. It may be difficult to get a 1 bdm. for spring break, but no harm trying!

*Suggestion: Use the search function on the Sightings Forum to see what dates have been deposited in the past.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'm contemplating an E-Plus trade into this resort for April. A couple questions if you all don't mind.

1. Only studio available right now, it will work for our family of 3. But, would prefer a 1 BR. I can hold out for another retrade later to a 1BR - but wondering what the frequency of offerings are at this resort. Does Westin mini-bulk bank a couple months ahead of time like Marriott seems to do?

Availability has been spotty the last couple years. Do you have Vistana preference in II? We ended up buying a mandatory resale week with the goal to use it at WLR instead of relying on an II trade without preference.

2. We will have 11 YO with us. Are there scheduled activities for the kiddo's?

Can't speak to this, but they do have lots of activities.

3. Surrounding area: Are their restaurants, shops, etc within easy & safe walking distance?

La Isla shopping center is directly across the street. There are also literally hundreds if not thousands of restaurant and shipping options a short bus ride away.

4. What else is there to do in the area - we are not people to sit at the beach all day long.

There are all kinds of things. Take excursions to Chichen Itza or Tulum. Go to Xcaret or Xel-Ha. Take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres and rent a golf cart to drive around and explore the island. The options are endless.

Thanks and any other tid-bits of info appreciated.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the both of you.

Doing my do-diligence on-line looking at area info. DH is not fond of the beach, he is ok with pools. But, I need to find an area that has something "other" to do than beach and shopping. He did spend a week in Aruba and enjoyed....but we also felt safe leaving the resort and taking day excursions. Would you say in term of local area Cancun is similar to Aruba.

We don't have Starwood preference. But, could survive in the studio if we had to.

Also send the both of you a PM.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks to the both of you.

Doing my do-diligence on-line looking at area info. DH is not fond of the beach, he is ok with pools. But, I need to find an area that has something "other" to do than beach and shopping. He did spend a week in Aruba and enjoyed....but we also felt safe leaving the resort and taking day excursions. Would you say in term of local area Cancun is similar to Aruba.

We don't have Starwood preference. But, could survive in the studio if we had to.

Also send the both of you a PM.

Within the Hotel Zone, I would consider Cancun as safe as Aruba. We have been to Cancun three times, twice to Lagunamar and once to the JW Marriott. I think we may have been to the beach three times. We love the pools and resort. Lagunamar has a much better location than the JW, so it is now our favorite.

As for excursions, being your first time, you may not want to venture out on your own. There are however a lot of companies that offer day trips to the different ruins and eco parks.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Take your 11 year old to Xel-Ha or Xcaret.

Take your 11 year old to Xel-Ha or Xcaret. He/she will love it.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Take your 11 year old to breakfast at Jugo de Limon

Take your 11 year old to breakfast at Jugo de Limon in La Isla Mall across the street. Where else can you have a tasty Mexican breakfast at a very reasonable price while watching the dolphins in the pools below. A tour through the aquarium is also enjoyable.

blondietink

Reaction score
Another vote for Xel-Ha or one of the Cenote tours that includes zip lining. Great tours!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info - I did it!