• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Boardwalk vs. DVC Beach Club?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Of course, it's your cash, but I think a 7 yr old would be fine to see fireworks 1 night from some public place @ Contemp or BLT if you can't view from room. Plus, it's worth your 7 yr old staying up late one night to see the castle lit up with the music playing while actually in WDW.
OT--but as we are total Disney nuts, here are things my kids that age liked and remembered: meet/greets with princesses (or do it the easy way and go to Ahkerus (?) @ Norway for a meal). Also, autograph books, pin trading (take them home and put them on a corkboard with WDw photos and hang in room), and getting dressed up--no need for the $$$ makeover--the Disney store sells great princess ponytail hair things for $15.
Lastly, if you really want a great experience and memories, you could probably pay for a 3 or 4 day Disney cruise (around $2K in Oct 2015) with the $$$ you save by using RCI for DVC.
have fun! Elaine

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a wife and 2 little girls. You don't think I know a little something about "princesses"?
Naw...just teasing.

The Marlins? Seriously?
Yeah, I should change that avatar. I was a season ticket holder from THE opening day in 1993 to 2012 when Loria traded the entire team. Haven't paid for a ticket since, and told my rep when the low-life sells the team I'll come back as a season ticket holder.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree 100% with everything Elaine said.

The Akerhaus princess meal is really worth doing -- photo op + a meal with 4-5 princesses circulating through the restaurant and actually spending quality time with each young lady. Far and away the best princess event we've ever done.

DD was 2 on our first trip, so I can relate to your younger one.

Our first character meal was Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. The photo op was with Goofy. My daughter was 2; Goofy was ten feet tall and terrifying. She screamed and fled. We got seated and the first characters to our table were Chip and Dale. They stole her heart, and she was fine thereafter -- ended up dancing with Minnie in the aisles!

The Winnie the Pooh character meal at the Crystal Palace (MK) is another one I would highly recommend for kids those ages. Magical.

And, for fun, go over to WL to Whispering Canyon. Nice place, good food, good service. Sometimes the table settings leave a little to be desired, but the service is excellent. If your table doesn't have any ketchup, just ask your server...:rofl:

Also agree especially with the "magic vs. money" question. You're going to have so much magic, a view is not gonna matter to exhausted kids. AND...not for nothin'...the view from Main Street is what all of you will remember -- not the view from a hotel room.

What WILL matter to the kids (and YOU) is the ability to walk 10 minutes back to BLT in the middle of the day for a little nap/pool time. That simple pleasure will pay big dividends in the overall enjoyment of your trip.

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT time!

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first character meal was Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. The photo op was with Goofy. My daughter was 2; Goofy was ten feet tall and terrifying. She screamed and fled. We got seated and the first characters to our table were Chip and Dale.

We went to Chef Mickey's in April, the photo op was with a big Mickey plate.... :annoyed: No Chip and Dale either, but there was Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto.

My 2 year old really enjoyed the Disney Junior Dance party at Hollywood Studios during evening EMH. They have a bunch of characters come out at various times and it's not crowded at all. They even had balloon artists making stuff for free(!). DS got a pirate sword and space gun, DD got a flower. I wouldn't have known about it if not for TUG. :)

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
I'm really struggling with not having a view of the castle. I'm sure I'll catch hell for it on here but part of me thinks it is worth it to pay cash through a DVC owner so I can have the view. With the kids that young we'll be in the room a lot relaxing and pretty much could guarantee the fireworks show nightly at 10PM. That doesn't mean we won't be at MK for one or two of them. But having the option to finish each day with that type of view and that type of show could be the Disney magic that my older daughter remembers. While I'm sure the view of the garden/lake/non-dumpster is nice, you can't say for a 7 year-old girl there would be a view better than falling asleep watching fireworks over Cinderella's castle! :cheer:
A couple quick thoughts on this having stayed at BLT several times:

1. Theme park views overlook the parking lot/busses -- not relaxing IMO.
  2. Conversely sitting out on the balcony overlooking palm trees/pool/lake, is very relaxing--as close as you get to an ocean view resort feel which almost makes up for choosing to go to WDW vs. a beach destination IMO :)
  3. You can see the fireworks from the bridge from Contemporary to BLT -- which is where we usually are as we head back from MK to the Contemporary via monorail after a long day.
  4. If you really want to spend the cash and enjoy the experience, go for a fireworks boat cruise (or go for the free route and just take the resort boat back to the Contemporary during the fireworks -- bonus is you get to see the water show if you time it right).
We went to Chef Mickey's in April, the photo op was with a big Mickey plate.... :annoyed: No Chip and Dale either, but there was Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto.
Assume you know this, but Garden Grill is the best place to see the Chipmunks.