• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions from a TUG Newbie

LongDrive

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie TUG member and not a time share owner. I'm intrigued about Timeshare ownership, and figured I'd start with a few questions. I believe I've already learned some important things about ownership, based on a recent pitch I listened too, and some online research I've been doing.

I just returned from a stay at Kings Creek Plantation in Williamsburg, VA. I bought a 4 night stay at a golf show I attended in the winter. It came with some nice freebies including 2 tix to Busch Gardens, a $50 Amex gift card, and unlimited golf for only paying cart fees. All this for $298, in exchange for sitting through a 90 minute time share pitch. I'm happy to say all worked out well. The unit was nice, the weather was brilliant, the golf good, and all gifts received as promised. Perhaps best of all, I didn't bite on the sales pitch. In fairness, while it was indeed somewhat high pressure, the sales guy certainly wasn't overly pushy or rude.

Some friends of ours that went with us (in their own unit - same deal) did purchase. Although I'm happy for them, my post trip research tends to make me more happy I did not.

Question #1: is there really any reason to buy direct from the developer, as opposed to buying on the resale market for much much less?

#2: Kings Creek is pitching a deal that is based on points (not buying an exact unit for an exact week). While I understand the point system in general, not sure I got far enough along to really understand any of the finer details. As example, Kings Creek partner for traveling to other destinations is Interval International. They quoted me a MF of $650 per year and I believe an additional fee of $189 per year. My guess is the $189 fee goes to II, should I choose a different destination than Kings Creek in that year. Does that sound correct? Another related question is, what guarantee should you expect to ensure these fees don't increase excessively year over year? Do contracts generally cap increases to say 5%, or are you at their mercy? ( For fees to II, or even Maintenance fees)

#3: I was told that if I'm not going to use my points in any given year, Kings Creek would readily reimburse me for that year, and send me a check for $1,200. Does that sound right, or are there any catches?

#4: If I wanted to buy a Kings Creek ownership on the aftermarket, would they be available with the points included from Interval International? Said another way, the only way I would buy a timeshare is if I know I can travel to multiple destinations. I don't want to be tied to any one resort. I've seen several Kings Creek timeshares available, but none seem to speak of the Interval International points. They all mention that you can use the timeshare weeks 9 - 52, but nothing about exchanging locations. I'm a bit confused by this?

#5: If I know I want travel flexibility to multiple locations, is the "home" resort even important?

I'm sure I have even more questions but I'll hold off for now. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll keep researching these forums in the meantime!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Buying resale is always the way to go, if you buy at all. Many of us here on TUG recommend renting at a few timeshares first or maybe always instead of buying. In terms of a home resort, I and many others think it is best to buy at a resort you wouldn't mind going to all the time if you couldn't exchange it and also one that you can drive to in case flying becomes a problem for whatever reason.Things change in life and timeshares are very difficult to get rid of once you own them. If you were to buy you want a resort and time of year that has high trading power so you can exchange if you want.

There are different kinds of ownerships- the main ones being points ownership and "weeks" ownership. I believe there are probably a lot of threads on TUG explaining the differences between the two.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Question #1: is there really any reason to buy direct from the developer, as opposed to buying on the resale market for much much less?
Yeah, there can be reasons. You decide if they're good or not.
When the development is new, it's not on the resale market yet so that's a reason for some people.
Sometimes it can take a while to find the resale at the price you want. So if you're not willing to shop around and/or wait then that might be a reason.
Some people have experienced negative resale transactions. If you wanted to avoid any of that you might buy from the developer.
If you have money to burn, buy from the developer.
Some timeshares have special features that are only accessible with a developer purchase (DVC comes to mind).
Generally, it's a bad idea, but there are some situations where it might make sense to buy from the developer.

#2: what guarantee should you expect to ensure these fees don't increase excessively year over year? Do contracts generally cap increases to say 5%, or are you at their mercy?
A few timeshares here and there might have caps in the contracts but most don't. THere's no guarantee. However, if the fees increase too much too quickly then a lot of people simply won't pay and they know that. So...

#3: I was told that if I'm not going to use my points in any given year, Kings Creek would readily reimburse me for that year, and send me a check for $1,200. Does that sound right, or are there any catches?
Depends on the contract, but at the very least you likely have to pay your MF in advance, tell them in advance that you won't use your points that year AND you forfeit the points for that year.

I can't help you with question #4.

#5: If I know I want travel flexibility to multiple locations, is the "home" resort even important?
Yes. You want to choose a home resort that gives you the best value and you may also want to choose something that will be easy to sell later if you need to sell it. You should also consider what you will do when you can't travel.

LongDrive

Reaction score
I and many others think it is best to buy at a resort you wouldn't mind going to all the time if you couldn't exchange it and also one that you can drive to in case flying becomes a problem for whatever reason.

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking I don't understand the "exchange" process. What does this mean? Let's say I buy 105,000 points from Kings Creek in Williamsburg. It was my understanding that if I choose to go on vacation at a location other than KC, that's my option. Each location has a point value based on time of year, destination, etc. Are you saying that in order to go to a different location, I first have to exchange the Williamsburg trip? Can you explain that process. This certainly was not discussed during the sales presentation I sat through.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a recission period. You might want to turn your friends onto TUG quickly.

Hi all, newbie TUG member and not a time share owner. I'm intrigued about Timeshare ownership, and figured I'd start with a few questions. I believe I've already learned some important things about ownership, based on a recent pitch I listened too, and some online research I've been doing.

I just returned from a stay at Kings Creek Plantation in Williamsburg, VA. I bought a 4 night stay at a golf show I attended in the winter. It came with some nice freebies including 2 tix to Busch Gardens, a $50 Amex gift card, and unlimited golf for only paying cart fees. All this for $298, in exchange for sitting through a 90 minute time share pitch. I'm happy to say all worked out well. The unit was nice, the weather was brilliant, the golf good, and all gifts received as promised. Perhaps best of all, I didn't bite on the sales pitch. In fairness, while it was indeed somewhat high pressure, the sales guy certainly wasn't overly pushy or rude.

Some friends of ours that went with us (in their own unit - same deal) did purchase. Although I'm happy for them, my post trip research tends to make me more happy I did not.

#2: Kings Creek is pitching a deal that is based on points (not buying an exact unit for an exact week). While I understand the point system in general, not sure I got far enough along to really understand any of the finer details. As example, Kings Creek partner for traveling to other destinations is Interval International. They quoted me a MF of $650 per year and I believe an additional fee of $189 per year. My guess is the $189 fee goes to II, should I choose a different destination than Kings Creek in that year. Does that sound correct? Another related question is, what guarantee should you expect to ensure these fees don't increase excessively year over year? Do contracts generally cap increases to say 5%, or are you at their mercy? ( For fees to II, or even Maintenance fees)

#4: If I wanted to buy a Kings Creek ownership on the aftermarket, would they be available with the points included from Interval International? Said another way, the only way I would buy a timeshare is if I know I can travel to multiple destinations. I don't want to be tied to any one resort. I've seen several Kings Creek timeshares available, but none seem to speak of the Interval International points. They all mention that you can use the timeshare weeks 9 - 52, but nothing about exchanging locations. I'm a bit confused by this?

I'm sure I have even more questions but I'll hold off for now. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll keep researching these forums in the meantime!

If all of you just returned, then they probably can still recind this timeshare contract. Did they already know all they needed to know to make an informed decision before they bought that timeshare from the developer. Probably not. They may not be willing to listen to you.

Tuggers, including myself, have had friends and family members buy directly from the developer. It's hard to convince some people that they didn't get the deal that the salesman told them that they were getting. After years of owning timeshares and being a member of TUG, I warned my mother when she went to Mexico. She still bought while she was there. I tried to do my best to assist her. She ended up getting very upset with me. :doh: She's never used it, but fortunately she only has to pay MFs if she uses it (according to her). However, the initial money is gone, gone, gone forever.

LongDrive

Reaction score
VegasBella - thanks also for your response! One thing I've definitely learned, I don't think anybody should sign any paperwork without reading the details of the contract, and taking time to think through questions you might think of. I don't think it is reasonable to believe you can do this in a morning or afternoon - after listening to an enticing sales pitch!

LongDrive

Reaction score
Egret - I'm torn on this one. I don't want to rain on my buddies parade. The good news is unlike me (3 kids and they all are in college now!), my buddy has no kids and is generally well off. So net I wasn't surprised he bought the package. As such not sure I will share my concerns with him. I am genuinely interested in timeshares as my wife and I, and kids enjoy traveling. If I jump in, I just want to make sure I do it right. Lots of questions I need to get my arms around first.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The points program with Interval does not transfer on resale. It may be possible to enroll a week if you own one not in points but I wouldn't count on being able to do it for less than $4000. So even with the hefty buy in fee the resale would probably be worth less than $500. So when buying retail you have to ask yourself if you would get your $xxx.xx worth. The answer is usually no.

The nice thing about points is you don't have to worry about your trading power and being bad moped by someone with more power. Your request would be based on the date you made the request. With that said you still are relying on the deposits of others. If no one deposits at a place and time you want to go then you are out of luck. Interval is not very strong on coastal summer Atlantic north and south. If you want to travel to places like Williamsburg, Orlando, Branson, Phoenix in the summer, etc exchanging is very easy. The more desired locations may require you to request 18-10 months prior commit within 24 hours if a possible match comes up and may require you to go to your third or fourth place destination if nothing comes up where you really wanted to go.

Last edited:

LongDrive

Reaction score
Thx to all that have replied so far. I have a couple clarifying questions for everyone.

Say I buy a points system through Kings Creek Plantation as my home base. I buy in at 105,000 points which I was told was their max level. With Interval International, I can exchange these points to travel elsewhere around the world. If I understand what some have said in this thread, if I ever want to sell my timeshare, the Interval International (ability to travel elsewhere) points won't be re-sellable. Do I have this right?

If this is correct, my next related question is: If I decide to buy the same Kings Creek plantation timeshare on the aftermarket, would I be able to buy in to Interval International on my own?

One other question, can someone explain what exchanging your points actually means? I don't quite understand this. It seems from what I've read your home base might be important, making it easier to exchange your location to travel to another destination. Again, I need a little education on how this works.