• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring to someone outside of the US?

ajperez52408

Reaction score
We are giving our timeshare away and the people interested live in Canada. Does anyone have experience with this?

Are there any potential problems or it doesn't matter that they live in Canada?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they have to have any signatures notarized as part of the transaction be aware that the notary process is different there. I recall a transaction where a Canadian transacting an American timeshare had to go to the US embassy to get a signature notarized.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
I have bought and sold timeshares in the U.S. and I am a Canadian resident.

There was nothing we had to do different than if we were U.S. residents.

In Canada lawyers are notary republics and they notarized the documents and we returned them to the closing company and everything was fine.

This was for timeshares in Florida, but I am sure it is the same process in any state. A U.S. closing company did the closing.

Ben

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its only the sellers signature that is required to be notarized. It has nothing to do with the buyer being Canadian.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and no...

Its only the sellers signature that is required to be notarized. It has nothing to do with the buyer being Canadian.

This statement is not universally correct, as there are places within the U.S. where the buyer's notarized signature is also required on a new deed (...regardless of where the buyer or seller resides). I seem to vaguely recall that New Orleans, LA is one such place and I believe that there may be other states in which this is also the case.

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score
This statement is not universally correct, as there are places within the U.S. where the buyer's notarized signature is also required on a new deed (...regardless of where the buyer or seller resides). I seem to vaguely recall that New Orleans, LA is one such place and I believe that there may be other states in which this is also the case.

I stand corrected then I am in the process of selling a Florida Unit and as the seller it is only my signature that requires notarization (I am Canadian). Our buyers are also Canadian. The buyers signature does not have a place on the new deed

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've purchased a number of US timeshares from various states. It's a lot easier to buy one than sell one, usually.

As a former British Columbia notary public - not REpublic - sorry, although it would be nice to be my own country - LOL - I can confirm that although some states will simply accept a document notarized by a Canadian notary or lawyer, many, I would say most, will not. There's a whole process of getting the signature confirmed by the regulatory body - the notary society or law society of the province you sign in, then getting that confirmation confirmed by the US embassy.

That's why I drive across the border to Washington State to have my signatures notarized when selling or giving away a timeshare. I've talked to LT transfers about this, there's a totally different procedure for the two timeshare's I'm currently dealing with if I was signing in Canada.

But Canadians purchasing, shouldn't be any difficulties.

As an aside, I seem to remember that when I bought a couple of Hawaii timeshares, long since resold, I had to have my signatures witnessed or notarized. I think we were actually going to Hawaii at the time and I just did it while there.

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all are the same

It depends where your TS is based. I am in Canada and buying a Hawaiin TS..It must be notarized by a US Notary....or you go to the US Consulate for them to do it...you book appt online for that....OR like I did: you can use a local notary who is recognized by the US Consulate...(just phone them and ask)...they notarize it and I had mine send it to the US Consulate in Vancouver....they will verify that my notary is auth. to stamp it etc....then I get the docs once they have authorized it and send to the transfer company in Hawaii...phew, long process...so basically it depends on the State where your TS is. Hawaii is different for sure.