• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Club w/o HIVC HICV

Omnishambles

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have some questions I could use your help with.

I did the whole timeshare presentation thing at Desert Club in exchange for a room. And they got me. I bought one. But reading over the forums has convinced me that this was probably a bad idea (and if it's not I can just call them up and get the same rate again), so I've got my cancellation notice filled out and it'll be going out on overnight mail as soon as the post office opens.

FWIW, I bought a one-bedroom deluxe unit week 3 for about $10,000. This is 83,000 points in the HICV system. This was all about the points for me. I'm not sure I'd want to spend a whole week in Vegas. eBay says I could get a timeshare here for $400 in closing costs and a $100 transfer fee, but what I've read on here suggests that resale timeshares won't get me in HICV.

I'm assuming that if I buy the resale share, I just get RCI points for it. Maybe this is more optimal for me. I'd be cutting out the middleman. While it sounds like HICV is well-regarded and I like that extra points can go into hotels and such, their other properties don't interest me that much. I'm a single guy with no kids, so Orlando isn't high on my list of places to see.

Am I right in thinking that HICV isn't worth the $10,000 cost of admission? Is Desert Club worth it without the HICV?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
HICV is not worth $10,000. There are better places to buy rci points resale. It's good that you are rescinding. Next you need to take your time and figure out what and where if anything would be best for you to buy resale or if you are better of renting or just staying in hotels. Most timeshares are easy and cheap to buy but can be difficult to get rid of when you want to move on.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
You have to be careful when buying resale, because, prior to HIVC taking over, there were different types of week. I have a week that floats the season May-June-July. I did join HIVC but only because it was so cheap ($104) to convert.
If you buy resale, you might find one that is already in RCI points, a fixed week, or a floating seasonal.
If you have one in RCI points, you can deposit them.
However, I am under the impression that if I do not renew HIVC and reserve a week in my season, I will not be able to directly deposit it in to RCI weeks. (others may be able to verify this)
SFX will take Desert Club weeks, however, so if you have a fixed week or book a week they will take it for deposit. So will DAE.

$10,000 is definitely not worth it, and 83,000 HIVC points only translates in to 41,500 RCI points. That is a big difference. If you can find a Desert Club resale whose contract was already converted to RCI points, that might be your best bet.

Good luck.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought pre-HIVC as well and I was sitting on 74k in RCI points for 550 MF. so try and get a nice ratio around 7-8 cents per point. Grandview also has some nice RCI ratio's sometime. Good luck.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We too purchased Desert Club pre-HIVC, a 1 Bdrm week which was converted into RCI points prior to our resale purchase. When the resort moved to it's present location, our 1 Bdrm became a two bdrm unit. We've stayed there twice for a few days and found it nice, but a little cave like in a ground floor unit.

Mostly we use the RCI points from this unit as a trader to get into other TS properties and it's worked out very well for us. In Vegas we usually stay at HGVC which we also own, but have exchanged into Bluegreen and Royal Resort in Vegas through RCI.

Sedona, Kauai, Maui, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Springs, San Clemente, Solano Beach (CA). Lake Travis (Austin) are some of the other places we've exchanged into using the points from this unit. It cost us roughly $1000 with closing costs for that week maybe 5 years ago picked up on Ebay.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too much, but consider this...

Too much, much Too Much. But you already know that.

I also bought Desert Club prior to the HICV HIVC affiliation. I got my units on Ebay for several hundred dollars each (up to $900 I think). Now you can get them for much less. See here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...lub+l&_nkw=desert+club+las+vegas&_sacat=15897

Plus, another consideration is the relatively low MFs. I think around $600, which is good in my opinion. Many other resorts are much higher, even in the thousands. MF are not guaranteed, and will go up eventually, but Desert Club has a good board who keep a watch over expenses and a healthy reserve account.

You should easily find one already converted to RCI points, which are 1/2 of the HICV points. Same value, different currency.

Rescinding is a good idea. Whatever you eventually buy keep a watch on the comparative MF costs.