• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring a timeshare

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found a timeshare I want to purchase, but the owner owes $2800 on their account and is OK with me just taking over the account?

Is there a way I can just take over his account? The timeshare is silverleaf timeshare.

Dannyh86

Reaction score
I believe if the owner owes money and its transferred to your name then you would be responsible for it. Don't quote me though

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for reply

I believe if the owner owes money and its transferred to your name then you would be responsible for it. Don't quote me though

I am fine with this they don't owe that much and to me I would be willing to pay it.

Dannyh86

Reaction score
Oh sorry I read wrong, so he still owes $2800 on it? I though it was late maintenance fees.

Dannyh86

Reaction score
Is the timeshare worth the balance they have? I'm not sure if you can sell a timeshare that has a mortgage on it. The mortgage owed would still be under that persons name I believe.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You could contact the debt-holder about assuming the debt. But...
A transfer often triggers a due-on-sale clause, which means it must be paid in full.
For that little amount of $$, you might just look for a way to pay it off.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

I believe if the owner owes money and its transferred to your name then you would be responsible for it.

More accurately, if the current "owner" still owes money, then s/he is not yet actually the "owner" at all. The existing loan must first be paid off before the current "almost owner" 1). acquires clear title and 2). then has the legal standing to do anything at all with the timeshare, including sale and transfer to someone else.

If for some unknown reason you really want to pursue an ownership with almost $3k of existing debt, with the next maintenance fee bill right around the corner at this time of year, then I respectfully suggest at least using an established, respected closing company for escrow of all funds. You could, for example, place part (or all) of the current debt amount into escrow as a good faith "deposit" and expression of your sincerity, with the closing company holding all money until the current "almost owner" pays off the existing note and gains (entirely on their own) clear title, presumably via a new recorded deed clearly reflecting his / her sole ownership. If the "almost owner" ultimately fails to follow through, the closing company (...not the "almost owner") has your money in an escrow account and will return it back to you.

I certainly would never recommend ponying up $3k directly to the "almost owner" in debt, hoping that they will (...maybe, but maybe not...) actually use it to pay off the existing debt, gain clear title, and then transfer ownership to you. You need not (and should not) put your money at risk over someone else's existing debt.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that you (OP) posted in yet another thread that 'regular' transfer agents are not acceptable to Silverleaf, and that they have an in-house agent. If you REALLY want to spend nearly $3K for this, I think you should get the complete picture from Silverleaf. I am not completely clear about who owes what. If there is a mortgage to the original owner, or if the debt is unpaid MF.

Please understand, I'm not saying that Silverleaf is anything but the greatest timeshare outfit ever, but today $3K buys into some VERY nice resorts.

All the best...

Jim

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
closing companies

I live in the Dallas area does anyone know of any good closing companies that will work with timeshares?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in the Dallas area does anyone know of any good closing companies that will work with timeshares?

You posted in this thread: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217726 about post 12 or 13 that Silverleaf DOES NOT allow outside transfer agents. You were given a lead to TUG preferred agents, and Silverleaf won't work with them. Find out who they will work with and use them. This isn't rocket science. For us, timeshare transfer is a DIY project. Copy, change people's names, paste, mail.

Jim

Last edited:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a former SL owner, I really love the resorts. We had a great run with SL for over 10 years. But I would NEVER pay $2800 for a SL property unless I was absolutely guaranteed to get, not just regular bonus time, but EE. Without bonus time, the SL maintenance fee of over $900/year for a 2 bed unit is just too high. Also I would hold out for a Presidential unit.