• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions: Driving car, taking ferry--Crossing rules

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer: Hi Tuggers: We're driving from Portland to the Washington ferry into Victoria, B.C. and 5 days later we are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver. Questions

1. Do we need to unload our luggage from the car when we are crossing on the ferry? :eek:

2. Do we stay IN the car when crossing?

3. Can we bring fruit or cheese sticks into Canada via ferry? How about cans of tuna?

4. Any other caveats on using the ferry?

We have reservations for the 2pm crossing to Victoria in early August. This will be the middle of our 20 day driving trip from San Diego area. Thank you for any advice on what food we need to 'eat' before getting to the first ferry.

Thank you for ANY tips!

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
:cheer: Hi Tuggers: We're driving from Portland to the Washington ferry into Victoria, B.C. and 5 days later we are taking the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver. Questions

1. Do we need to unload our luggage from the car when we are crossing on the ferry? :eek:

3. Can we bring fruit or cheese sticks into Canada via ferry? How about cans of tuna?

We have reservations for the 2pm crossing to Victoria in early August. This will be the middle of our 20 day driving trip from San Diego area. Thank you for any advice on what food we need to 'eat' before getting to the first ferry.

Thank you for ANY tips!

I've never done the ferry from Washington State to Victoria, but imagine it would be the same except for clearing customs and immigration.

You don't unload your car. For B.C. Ferries you're strongly encouraged to come up to the passenger decks for safety reasons.

Here's a link re what food you can bring into Canada that was posted on another thread.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/planning/border/food_canada.htm

The ferry is a nice relaxing way to travel.

Bev

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Thank you for ANY tips!

You didn't mention which ferry you are talking about though the answers are basically the same. There is the ferry from Port Angeles, WA to downtown Victoria and the ferry from Anacortes, WA to Sidney BC ( a few minutes drive from Victoria ).

I have taken both several times. My favorite by far is the one from Anacortes because of the beautiful scenery sailing through the San Juan Islands. However, the Port Angeles ferry will be much faster and more convenient for you driving up from the south.

Regardless of which ferry you take the answers are the same.

1. You just leave your luggage in the car.
2. You get out of the car and go up on deck, sit down somewhere, or whatever.
3. I do NOT know what food items you can take into Canada. I have never done that. In any event the rules will be the same no matter how you arrive, whether by auto, ferry, airplane, bicycle, walk, or whatever.
4. There is no caveat to worry about with the ferry. Just arrive in plenty of time.

I have also done the BC ferries trip many times from both Victoria and Nanaimo.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Information on foods you are allowed to bring into Canada is available on the Canadian customs web site.

IIRC, you will probably not be able to bring into Canada any fruit that is in the apple family, and I believe they prohibit citrus as well. There are similar restrictions coming from Canada to the US.

Meat and dairy purchased from a grocery store usually has not been a problem for me.

Last edited: