• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Taking food to Bahamas

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking to pack a cooler with packaged frozen meats and cheeses to Harborside Atlantis, and keep it cool with dry ice. Does anyone know where we can buy dry ice from?

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
At City Market, you’ll find the highest quality meats. Choose from USDA Choice cuts, Tyson, Sanderson Farms, Johnsonville, local products and more. If you have a request or question about a cut of meat, please ask our butcher to assist you.

First why pack frozen meat ? the grocery store(City Market) in the Nassau have good prices on meat ....and are usda inspected ...
With the price of extra luggage $20 and up ..Frozen foods weigh more..
and cost of dry ice, plus worry if it will thaw before you get there ...
The taxi will stop on the way to Harborside at the store for you ....
We were there last year and are going back this year the first week in May ...
This year we aren't studing packing any food what so ever ...it gives us more room to pack for clothes ...and now we know this year not to pack many at all because we can wash and dry what we take and wear again....here are some sites to look at plus if you still want to find dry ice in your area...

try dryice-Airgas.com
City Market Nassua

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never been before and heard horror stories about the price of groceries, but most of all it would be nice not to waste time grocery shopping and just have what we like ready on hand... Of course we will still need milk, fruits, veggies and bread. When I only have a week of vacation I hate spending time reading food labels and trying to figure what to buy... I heard many folks say that it's a great idea to pre pack frozen foods, for time saving and prices... But thanks for sharing the thought, it's good to know it's not quite as expensive. Opinions seem to be divided on that!

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the link!

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We packed mostly dry ingredients to snack on and have on hand. But I also froze some bacon, hot dogs, brats, and cheeses packed them in travel coolers and put them in the suitcase with the other food. 8 hours later they were still froze. You might have a longer flight from NW, so you could just always pack dry stuff. It does save a ton of money.

lee

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we will pack some dry stuff and frozen meats and cheeses. I did it once to Hawaii and when we got there 12 hours later it was still solid frozen. We stop overnight in Chicago so we are not traveling for quite that long. We can pick up the food in Chicago.

Last edited:

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the meat prices and selection at the nassau city market acceptable last august. Vegetables, on the other hand, were expensive and had little selection. We ended up throwing away half of the cauliflower because they wer not fresh. We were so sick of lettuces and cabbages by the end of the week; we ate more of them that week than we have ever done in a year in Chicago. I plan to take some fresh vegetables with me rather than meats when I go back to Harborside next time.

Last edited:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they allow fresh produce through customs?

I found the meat prices and selection at the nassau city market acceptable last august. Vegetables, on the other hand, were expensive and had little selection. We ended up throwing up half of the cauliflower because they wer not fresh. We were so sick of lettuces and cabbages by the end of the week; we ate more of them that week than we have ever done in a year in Chicago. I plan to take some fresh vegetables with me rather than meats when I go bacl to Harborside next time.

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. I know you can't take them out.

But if they were tucked away in the food suitcase you might be able to get some thru.

I don't think I would worry so much in taking that kind of stuff. It is fairly easy to get from city market, just plan your meals around what you buy there that is in season and looks good.

lee