• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Cheap TS (Mtce esp)

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a cheap TS to maintain my RCI points membership - one with the lowest possible cost/ and maintenance - just enough to maintain an RCI membership. What sparked my attention was the triennial timeshares where you only have one in three years to pay for. I have come across about a dozen of these on Ebay - what is your experience with buying from ebay. WIth Triennials i have come across TS with low Mtce fees of under 200$ per year.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a cheap TS to maintain my RCI points membership - one with the lowest possible cost/ and maintenance - just enough to maintain an RCI membership. What sparked my attention was the triennial timeshares where you only have one in three years to pay for. I have come across about a dozen of these on Ebay - what is your experience with buying from ebay. WIth Triennials i have come across TS with low Mtce fees of under 200$ per year.

I've noted that you have made several posts questioning the value proposition of RCI points, so I find it surprising that you've started this thread about continuing with RCI points by adding a triennial unit.

I don't see the logic of adding a triennial. You do not need another timeshare to maintain your points account, your Barbados timeshare yields 86,000 annual RCI points. You could continue with your membership this way, while reserving your home week(forgoing the points) and obtain the few points you need to do last minute exchanges by renting the points you need (up to 43,000) from RCI (@.02) or unlimited points by transfer from another RCI points member. You could do this without any up front costs or additional ongoing obligations.

Feel free to PM me is you have any questions regarding this approach.

Last edited:

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks - i guess i havent really considered reserving my own ts - the only thing is that it has to be done for so far in the future.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You do have to reserve your home week 13 months in advance but up to 120 days (or is it 90 days) before your week starts you can call and tell RCI you want to deposit it for points and get your full annual allotment of points credited to your account. You can deposit it even later but then you get less than your normal allotment of points. If you haven't borrowed from your next use year it is a good way to keep your options open.

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was fiddling with the options with home resort and home resort and home group - where in my case they are all the same as there is only one resort in my group - but it does show inventory for 10-11, 11-12 and 12-13 months. The question is if this inventory is accessible to all points members or only those who are members who are co owners at particular resort or group?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At 12-13 months only owners of a particular week at a particular can access the inventory and there should be no RCI fee to reserve. This is the only week that you can later deposit for points. Some resorts have you reserve directly with the resort others have you go through RCI. You should also not have to pay for a guest certificate if someone other than yourself will be checking in.

At 11-12 months only owners in points at a particular resort have access to the inventory. If you forgot to reserve your home week and it is still available you can reseverve it for $40. You can generally go down in season or size and save the remaining points for another time. For example I own a summer Hilton Head 3 bedroom unit. I can reserve a 2 bedroom unit at my resort at Easter and save the rest of the points for later. During this time frame you must reserve a full 7 days. The system will not let you use points from other resorts to make reservations during your home resort priority, you can only use your annual allotment from that resort. If you own more than one unit at that resort, they can be pooled. (I have heard that sometimes guides can override this and allow points from multiple resorts but I wouldn't count on that always working.)

At 10-11 months you can reserve your home group. Sometimes this is a developer group and sometimes a management group. If you own an independent resort you may not have any other resorts in your group. During this time the full exchange $ applies and you can reserve more than or less than 7 days. You are still competeing against less owners.

Its not until the 10 month mark that everyone in points has access to your resort and group. Most people in points let their weeks automatically deposit into points so this is the best time to look for resorts outside of your home group. Some develpers like DVC and Hilton deposit later, as do individuals who initially reserved and changed mind as well as cancelations so even if you don't see what your looking for at 10 months it might become available later. If you still forgot to reserve your week and want to use it you can do so if it is still available but you will be paying the full RCI exchange fee, can no longer rent it and would need a guest certificate if someone else is checking in.

Weeks searches for non points resorts can be done up to 2 years in advance but the search engine is IMO annoying and time consuming, but search in weeks with points is a different topic. :crash: