• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much rental activity is there at 60 days and in?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a gift to my dear sister for being a great aunt to my kids and a doggy sitter whenever we are away, I gave her one of my units to use for Feb. She was so looking forward to it but just yesterday suffered a knee injury that will sideline her for quite some time. Now I have a week to rent or exchange for a later resort/date.

Usually I have no problem renting this unit but I'm never around at 60 days to see the activity. If I wait and don't rent I'll be basically wasting the week.

My question for anyone with experience, is there alot of rental activity within 60 days, or should I exchange and possibly use or gift to someone else? I only have a week or so to decide, then I lose the ability to trade.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is a warm destination

you should be fine.
Many professionals don't start planning a trip until around 60 days from start. These folks don't seem to have a problem paying a fair price for a premium unit and location.
Advertise in all the usual places, redweek, myresort, bidshares, here, and craigslist and Ebay.

jmho,

Greg

As a gift to my dear sister for being a great aunt to my kids and a doggy sitter whenever we are away, I gave her one of my units to use for Feb. She was so looking forward to it but just yesterday suffered a knee injury that will sideline her for quite some time. Now I have a week to rent or exchange for a later resort/date.

Usually I have no problem renting this unit but I'm never around at 60 days to see the activity. If I wait and don't rent I'll be basically wasting the week.

My question for anyone with experience, is there alot of rental activity within 60 days, or should I exchange and possibly use or gift to someone else? I only have a week or so to decide, then I lose the ability to trade.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of my rentals are within 60 days, few outside.

Most of my rentals last year were in the 2-4 weeks prior to check-in range.

I have no idea what your rental is, but if it's warm weather beach area and it's priced aggresively, I don't think there should be a problem. The economy was terrible last year, but I rented everything I had because they were prime locations during prime season and were well-priced.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know where your resort location is, but I actually have the most interest in my New Years' Cancun week about 60 days prior to check-in.

Agree, a lot of people hold out due to work conflicts. If it's a nice, warm spot (or maybe skiing?), it will rent if priced right.

buceo

Reaction score
I've never still had one within 60 days either. I thought I was going to this year and planned to deposit it, but it rented 63 days out. I now agree with the other posts, if it happens again, I'm going to hold it and keep trying to rent within the 60 day period.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well just like that it did rent this evening. We quickly agreed to $1400 for a 1BDRM Aruba Surf OV plat week. He's already paid me through Paypal, where we split the fees. This is definitely less than I've received in the past, several hundred dollars so, but I couldn't take a chance and priced it aggressively in my opinion. Others on RW are listed in the $1800-$2100 range. I'm not sure if it's because of the economy or the last minute offer. Either way I'm relieved I wasn't stuck with a week I couldn't use.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Congratulations!

Eight hours after posing a question on TUG about the potential for renting last minute and, poof, it's rented. Was it that positive TUG karma at work?

It may have not been for top dollar, but at least it's rented and you don't have to worry about renting it any more.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Wonderful!
I am so surprised that people wait until so close to a timeframe to rent, but then with work schedules, etc, maybe. Although my husband always had to ask for a vacation date a year ahead from his work, when everyone had to signup for their vacation weeks.

What has surprised me even more is family members! I know many of you have experienced this: you plan ahead and get the extra unit for your family member which they have agreed on and then last minute, oh sorry, we're going to X instead.

Even at family reunions, when we hosted, with a 2 year advance notice, poeple waited until less than 60 days to reserve.

oh well, wish I would use more last minutes, e.g. DAE bonus weeks at $99, SFX last minutes, RCI 45 days out....but we need to plan ahead now!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joan,

I can relate: I've managed two family reunions and rented for all of us or used my t/s exchanges for all of us, and it is truly amazing how they will drag their feet to commit. Or, waffle on the very nice AND inexpensive accommodations. Or, as you say, they'll casually back out at the last minute. Last time I said NO MORE. However, if I don't do it, we won't see each other until the funeral, so am thinking of pulling another together, LOL.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year particularly, rentals with < 60 days until check-in is more the norm than the exception at drive to destinations. Fly to vacations tend to be less last minute due to risks with costly airfare.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So since I rented my week for $1400 I left the ad up and put it at $1750 to gauge the market for future reference. Since then - 2 more legimate offers to rent, one at $1750 and another at $1600.

So I left some profit on the table but will be smarter in the future and realize that there is quite abit of rental activity for prime weeks within the 60 day window.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So since I rented my week for $1400 I left the ad up and put it at $1750 to gauge the market for future reference. Since then - 2 more legimate offers to rent, one at $1750 and another at $1600.

So I left some profit on the table but will be smarter in the future and realize that there is quite abit of rental activity for prime weeks within the 60 day window.

Yep, this has happened to me, too. You get close to check-in, then start to get a bit nervous, and rent it out at a negotiated price. Don't get around to taking your ads down for a few days and you get a few more solid hits offering the original asking price. People must be paying an arm & leg for airfare.

This year's rental took me up to the 30-day check-in date. I was close to depositing or using ourselves (if we could find the airfare & time off), but hung in there due to past experience. Patience is a virtue someone said. :D