• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC Availability through RCI

ssummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying into RCI, and am wondering what the availability of the DVC resorts is like. I'd be looking to exchange into one of the Disney properties for next November. What is the likelihood of being able to do so?

Thanks!

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of availability at various DVC resorts but this is something that is always subject to change.Buying an RCI resort to trade specificly into Disney may not be a good idea.

ssummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

To clarify...I'm not getting into RCI solely to trade into DVC. However, I am planning a trip to Disney next November, and being able to get into one of the Disney properties for that trip would certainly be a big plus...big enough to perhaps help push my decision one way or the other.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need to have a significant number of RCI points should a Disney exchange become available, this is expecially true if you desire a larger unit.

So buying into an RCI points unit you will need to seek out something that can provide the needed points for a Disney exchange.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, you need to be very clear about whether you have Weeks or Points. In Weeks, you need a deposit with very high demand relative to area/resort supply. In Points, you need a lot of points. Also, you *cannot* own an Orlando week in Points and obtain DVC via Points, and you *cannot* use an Orlando week in Weeks to obtain DVC.

Either way, it's likely that any random timeshare purchased and enrolled RCI won't get you there.

ssummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a Points resort in California...I would have 60,000 points, which from what I've seen should be enough to get me a 1 bedroom for a week at a DVC resort (56,500 pts).

Can I expect that if I have the account up an running with RCI by early January, that I'd be able to make a reservation for 11/2010 at a DVC resort?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
diff times are diff points

for ex, a 1 BR at OKW in March is 68,000 and a 1 BR can also be 71,000 at other resorts.

wheniwasyoung

TUG Member
Reaction score
ssummer,
I was able to book at SSR (Disney's Saratoga Springs) for the week of Thanksgiving this year. It was only 56,500 points for a 1 bedroom. I didn't think that was a bad deal.
However, it is a gamble anytime that you try to get into Disney for a specific week. If you can go any week in November, I think you will have a good chance.
Remember you can also "rent" or "buy" points from another member. I have found some really good deals here on TUG. Its a very simple process and as of today I have never been scammed by another TUG member. So if you are looking for a large unit and don't have enough points, I wouldn't let that get in the way of your plans. You should be able to get the points you need for .01 a point or less.
If you really want to do the Disney thing and you are willing to do a little work, you should be fine. At any rate you should get a pretty good vacation for a lot less than if you just bought a week out right.

ssummer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information and advice. We are in fact looking for a particular week, so I'm not sure we'll get it, but if not, we'll be just as happy to stay off site somewhere and use less points. We decided to take the plunge and signed for a 3-yr RTU lease. This should give us a good taste for things, but from everything I've read on these boards, it seems you really can't beat the value that RCI Points (or timeshares in general) seem to bring to vacation planning.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I've seen a Disney week as high as 136,500 RCI points.

Was that a 3 bedroom? I haven't seen a 2 bedroom higher than 118,500. A three bedroom is almost worth 136,500 because they are incredible, truly much larger than any 3 bedroom elsewhere. The units are two-stories, have a fireplace, a huge formal dining room, a beautiful kitchen with better everything, and like 3 1/2 baths. I would love to get one sometime for the family.