• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging through RedWeeks?

RustyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
With RCI dumping on those of us with weeks to trade, I'm looking for options. I'm seriously considering RedWeeks (redweeks.com). But I have some concerns.

First, availability. From what I can tell there is a fair amount in there, though nothing like the RCI inventory. Even today's RCI inventory. But there is a decent amount, and a lot of "provisional" which means people are willing to deposit if they find something of value first (I think). They are offering me a point number that exceeds most of what I can see out there, though I won't be getting a Marriott in HI out of the deal. That's OK, I understand fair value. At least I'll be able to ski someplace when the kids are on break.

Second, liability. My home resort is tied in with RCI, so when they get a fax saying someone else will be using my week, they recognize it as a valid transaction, have faith any wrongs will be made right, and I don't need to worry about it. How do they know this RedWeek exchanger is legit? Do they get a piece of paper that any scammer could reproduce? Is there any protection that if the recipient trashes the joint I won't be getting a call? Anyone have experience in this sort of thing it would be nice to hear that there are safeguards in place and that our home resorts accept this.

Third, future value. That is where I got hosed with RCI. They told me to trust them with my deposit and I'd get something back I'd like. They reneged. An exchange network thrives based on sheer numbers. The more people are depositing, the more likely they will see something they like in exchange. And as we've all seen with RCI, the fewer to choose from the less likely you'll be satisfied. What are your thoughts on the future of alternative venues such as (and specifically) RedWeek?

Thanks in advance for what I'm hopeful is a lively discussion.

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With RCI dumping on those of us with weeks to trade, I'm looking for options. I'm seriously considering RedWeeks (redweeks.com). But I have some concerns.

First, availability. From what I can tell there is a fair amount in there, though nothing like the RCI inventory. Even today's RCI inventory. But there is a decent amount, and a lot of "provisional" which means people are willing to deposit if they find something of value first (I think). They are offering me a point number that exceeds most of what I can see out there, though I won't be getting a Marriott in HI out of the deal. That's OK, I understand fair value. At least I'll be able to ski someplace when the kids are on break.

Second, liability. My home resort is tied in with RCI, so when they get a fax saying someone else will be using my week, they recognize it as a valid transaction, have faith any wrongs will be made right, and I don't need to worry about it. How do they know this RedWeek exchanger is legit?

Do they get a piece of paper that any scammer could reproduce? Is there any protection that if the recipient trashes the joint I won't be getting a call? Anyone have experience in this sort of thing it would be nice to hear that there are safeguards in place and that our home resorts accept this.
Redweek exchanges are handled by DAE, and they are very professional.
Third, future value. That is where I got hosed with RCI. They told me to trust them with my deposit and I'd get something back I'd like. They reneged. An exchange network thrives based on sheer numbers. The more people are depositing, the more likely they will see something they like in exchange. And as we've all seen with RCI, the fewer to choose from the less likely you'll be satisfied. What are your thoughts on the future of alternative venues such as (and specifically) RedWeek?

Thanks in advance for what I'm hopeful is a lively discussion.

Redweek is struggling like most travel related sites. There trade model is based upon completed rentals from their history, so it comes close to real Trade Value, unlike RCI.
There are several great companies in the trade business, Trading Places, DAE, Hawaii Timeshare Exchange, San Fransisco Exchange, Platinum Exchange, to name a few that all offer alternatives to the Big 2, RCI and II.

Redweeks is just the newest to enter this group, and I have used them for a few trades, unlike II, RCI and HTSE, they have no prohibition against renting an exchange, making them a better alternative in some cases.

jmho,

Greg:D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do a search for Redweek and you will find a lot of info. I have made several exchanges through Redweeks, but I really had to work at it. Their inventory is small, and they get very few of the top resorts. Mostly I have used it to trade some of my bottom tier weeks. I have exchanged into San Francisco, Kauai, Tahoe, and the Big Island using Redweek, but I searched every day, for months, to find those exchanges. I would not deposit a prime week with them, because it's is nearly impossible to get an equal exchange.

Ignore the provisional weeks - they mean nothing. Redweek has no access to those weeks. They are just people who asked for a valuation of their week, and then did NOT deposit it. I don't even know why they are listed - it gives a false impression of availability that does not exist. :rolleyes:

The resorts are used to dealing with the other exchange companies - they will not think it is a scam if an exchange company contacts them using the standard method. If there is a question, they will pick up the phone and make direct contact. It's not a problem.

As far as your liability, all resorts require exchangers to provide a valid credit card at check-in. If there is any damage, it will be charged to that card.

If you want to exchange into Hawaii - I'd use Hawaii Timeshare Exchange Co. Go to www.htse.net and put 9999 into the top box, and htse into the bottom box and you can log in as a guest. What you see online is what is left over after on-going requests are filled.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
i thought Redweek would not take a week reserved through II?

That is correct - all the exchange companies will only accept a week you OWN.

Last edited:

dogwood7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too tried Redweek. I put all my info. in. They got back to me quickly with a point value for my resort. I was given a few days to accept or decline. I did decline for now. The above posts are correct. They do have inventory. It just depends where you want to travel and when you can travel. I also agree that you have to search. It took me a lot of time to go through to see what was available. Maybe in the future, they will make it easier. Denise is right, those provisional weeks mean nothing. I am glad that Aliikai2 mentioned that DAE handled the exchanges.

PeelBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thus far, I have deposited 3 times and exchanged 4 times via and still have 1400 points with Redweek.

Redweek suits me well because I only look for one bedroom during shoulder or low season, i.e. blue or white weeks. Once, I got a two bedroom in August in Williamsburg, a over supplied area.

The exchange process handled by DAE is seamless. Searching Redweek is not difficult either. My focus is a few areas, and I can tell from the points required when those weeks are.

Redweek is not for everyone, but if it suits you well, it is the most economical alternative - much cheaper than RCI and II fee wise and point wise.

One thing I am not sure. Redweek seems to downvalue most of the North American resorts lately. My old deposits have "appreciated" in value, but I don't think I will deposit any with them until all old deposits are gone.

Redweek in fact is "blueweek", but again it suits me well.

Last edited:

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've deposited early and often with Redweek's Exchange program and have been very satisfied with the system. Everything about the system is done well. They lack a few of the features of the larger system like 24 hour holds or cancelation periods, ongoing searches, etc.

They offer lower membership fees, lower exchange fees, free guest certificates, rental of exchanges allowed, three years to exchange your points and a points based value system that allows for easy trades up or down.

Why more timeshare veterans are not running to use this system instead of RCI or II is beyond me. They don't put exchange inventory up for rent until they've started to discount the points required under their Last Minute Exchange.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Why more timeshare veterans are not running to use this system instead of RCI or II is beyond me. .

I'll tell you my reason - because Redweek requires that your MFs are paid for the week you deposit. II doesn't require me to do that. I'd rather pay my MFs at the last minute they're due - and with II I've often completed an exchange for the following year at that point before I pay the fees.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I'll tell you my reason - because Redweek requires that your MFs are paid for the week you deposit. II doesn't require me to do that. I'd rather pay my MFs at the last minute they're due - and with II I've often completed an exchange for the following year at that point before I pay the fees.

4 of the 7 weeks we own require that the MF's be paid in advance before they'll allow the week to be deposited. It wouldn't surprise me with the increases resorts appear to be seeing in deliquent accounts that more may have to go to pre-pay to deposit a week for exchange.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
4 of the 7 weeks we own require that the MF's be paid in advance before they'll allow the week to be deposited. It wouldn't surprise me with the increases resorts appear to be seeing in deliquent accounts that more may have to go to pre-pay to deposit a week for exchange.

No, it wouldn't surprise me either. But for now, both of mine allow deposits before the MFs are due (one November 30th and the other January 1st).

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it wouldn't surprise me either. But for now, both of mine allow deposits before the MFs are due (one November 30th and the other January 1st).

Both of our units due on Jan 10 th and I agree with above statements for not using. Also most of the units not near what I can get with II and when I do I won't have to pay extra money to II for upgrades.

For people thinking about the waste of time provisional list don't! Most will never be on Redweek. Most available units are low tier resorts or bad whether times of season.

PHILL12

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Both of our units due on Jan 10 th and I agree with above statements for not using. Also most of the units not near what I can get with II and when I do I won't have to pay extra money to II for upgrades.

I agree with this, too. I have asked for Redweek to give point evaluations for several of my weeks, and the number of points that they would have given has consistently gone down over the past two years. Whereas I'm very happy with both the quality and size of units I consistently get with II.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with this, too. I have asked for Redweek to give point evaluations for several of my weeks, and the number of points that they would have given has consistently gone down over the past two years. Whereas I'm very happy with both the quality and size of units I consistently get with II.

Certainly, if you are happy with RCI or II (as you've stated) then it's unerstandable to stick with them.

If you've only got a couple of timeshare weeks for exchange and your unsure if you'll get something you'ld be happy with via Redweek then I would understand having some reservations. Redweek will only see significant inventory improvement with more folks depositing those weeks.

I'm lucky (in a sense) that I own many lock-off weeks from which I can pick and choose what works best to fuel my Redweek acount point balance. Maintaining a healthy point balance and being diligent with checking for new deposits, I've been fortunate to achieve my goal of trading up many times.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek points based on completed rental????

I am sorry, but I completely disagree. I have checked several times on the points for my Harborside at Atlantis resort and the points that Redweek would give me is much less then the $$ I could rent it for. Plus I would even be willing to "down grade" into less desirable places if I got a few stays for my one week.........like the points will get me, BUT that will cost me a what is it???? $99 fee each time???? So I would actually have to PAY $200-$300 to do that. I don't think it is a good idea to use Redweek if you own something prime. And that is a disadvantage b/c unless they can get prime deposits then the system will never be able to compete with II or RCI. It is too bad. I would like to see them succeed, but I don't see how they can like it is set up. :bawl:

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I completely disagree. I have checked several times on the points for my Harborside at Atlantis resort and the points that Redweek would give me is much less then the $$ I could rent it for. Plus I would even be willing to "down grade" into less desirable places if I got a few stays for my one week.........like the points will get me, BUT that will cost me a what is it???? $99 fee each time???? So I would actually have to PAY $200-$300 to do that. I don't think it is a good idea to use Redweek if you own something prime. And that is a disadvantage b/c unless they can get prime deposits then the system will never be able to compete with II or RCI. It is too bad. I would like to see them succeed, but I don't see how they can like it is set up. :bawl:

What number of points did Redweek offer you?

Point valuations have been one of the most common complaints about the Redweek system. While I've made many deposits I own some weeks that I will not deposit because of how they are valued. Owning many different weeks allows me to deposit just those who's value I consider to be worthwhile.

To give you a point of reference the most points I've ever seen for a Redweek deposit (exchanged in Feb 2008):

Westin St. John Resort 3 BD/3BA Villa - 4291 points.

Point values have been lowered almost across the board over the past 6-12 months.

I would think that an HRA week would receive 3500+ points depending on unit size and season. With that many points you could pull any high level inventory that does get deposited or multiple weeks at most other more common resorts.

Last edited:

JuliGee

Reaction score

For people thinking about the waste of time provisional list don't! Most will never be on Redweek. Most available units are low tier resorts or bad whether times of season.

PHILL12

I agree. Provisional weeks are somewhat bogus. They are not weeks readily available for exchanges. I have looked at Redweek's and DAE's websites to see what kind of quality resorts they have, and unfortunately I really didn't see anything other than the lower tier resorts. Why would anyone who has a high quality resort deposit a week into a system like this?

Juli

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've poked around looking at the availability of weeks in Redweek. I say there's nothing in Redweek that you couldn't pull in RCI with a blue trader.