• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the most obnoxious fee in timesharing?

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to think it was the ARDA fee mostly because it is opt out and the purpose is to fund the timeshare developer lobby fund.

But, I think the Wyndham guest certificate fee for owners who get 2 units at the same resort for the same time period is pretty bad as well. $99 fee because a 3 bedroom unit isn't available for your party, but a 2br and 1br are? Ridiculous.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Absolutely. The GC fees are outrageous, even higher than RCI's, and you can talk RCI into only one for the same guest for consecutive weeks.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about adding another day to a reservation? Another $99 guest fee. Or only being able to book a 2 bedroom deluxe for a few nights then a 2 bedroom presidential for a few more nights. That is two guest fees even though the resort would keep the guest in the deluxe if desired.

1950bing

Reaction score
How about a daily resort activity fee even if you do none of them ?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Close call but DVC gets the win!

The ones mentioned so far are all bad but avoidable. The worst has to be the one that started the "something for nothing" fee - The DVC $95 exchange penalty. That eventually led to others with similar, already prepaid items being charged only to exchange guests, in direct violation of the standard exchange agreement with both II & RCI, such as the $25/day at the Manhattan Club. A big round of boo's to DVC for being the ground breaker on the most obnoxious and completely worthless (except to Disney of course) fee in all of timesharing.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Pay Us Double Because We're Twice As Good.

Click here for a clue.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort Transfer Fees

I think resort transfer fees (above any nominal record keeping fee) is outrageous. Royal Holiday Clubs $500 fee, Mayans's 10% of original puchase price, both come to mind.

It's like they are getting an unearned commision on any sale. The cost of which effectively lowers the value of what the owner can pocket from the transaction. These are very excessive fees that can effectively trap the current owner into retaining ownership.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ones mentioned so far are all bad but avoidable. The worst has to be the one that started the "something for nothing" fee - The DVC $95 exchange penalty. That eventually led to others with similar, already prepaid items being charged only to exchange guests, in direct violation of the standard exchange agreement with both II & RCI, such as the $25/day at the Manhattan Club. A big round of boo's to DFVC for being the ground breaker on the most obnoxious and completely worthless (except to Disney of course) fee in all of timesharing.

I Agree this is the most obnoxious fee.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ones mentioned so far are all bad but avoidable. The worst has to be the one that started the "something for nothing" fee - The DVC $95 exchange penalty. That eventually led to others with similar, already prepaid items being charged only to exchange guests, in direct violation of the standard exchange agreement with both II & RCI, such as the $25/day at the Manhattan Club. A big round of boo's to DVC for being the ground breaker on the most obnoxious and completely worthless (except to Disney of course) fee in all of timesharing.

Those fees don't bother me. They don't bother me mainly because when I exchange into those resorts, it's usually with such a cheaper trader than I gladly pay the fees. Even with the fees, I pay well less than half what owners do.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, its the Guest Certificate fees.
Anyone who doesnt want to pay a certain resorts fee can avoid it by not exchanging into that resort. Some people would avoid DVC for this reason. While that charge really doesnt bother me, I avoid certain resorts that impose energy charges on exchanges. For example The Reef Resort in Grand Cayman imposes an energy charge on exchangers. I think thats ridiculous so I wont go there.

However, I'm stuck with Guest Certificate fees on ANY exchange through RCI or II. A $59 fee just for changing the name for an exchange I already paid for. That bothers me.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Affording it or lower fees elsewhere isn't the question

Those fees don't bother me. They don't bother me mainly because when I exchange into those resorts, it's usually with such a cheaper trader than I gladly pay the fees. Even with the fees, I pay well less than half what owners do.

Whether you can afford them or not isn't the issue. These are fees that fly in the face of the week for week trade - treat all as an owner philosophy that RCI/II and others are based on. It should bother you that they are choosing to charge you again for something the owner giving up their week has already paid for once in their fees - now you are being charged it again to benefit no one but the developer/management. It doesn't even go to lower the fees of the owners, it is just absorbed by the developer! It is, and shall most likely remain, the most obnoxious fee in timeshare. It would be hard to come up with any that could be worse. Not even Wastegate has equaled the low that this represents (although if they thought they could get away with it I'm sure they would!).

It is surprising only that an otherwise reputable company like DVC was the one to start it. It was the beginning of their slide into money over guest experience which has only gotten worse ever since.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $95 fee is sleazy, but at least it is being charged to outsiders. The Wyndham GC fee is being slapped on owners who want to bring family along in a second unit. That strikes me as worse.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you can afford them or not isn't the issue. These are fees that fly in the face of the week for week trade - treat all as an owner philosophy that RCI/II and others are based on. It should bother you that they are choosing to charge you again for something the owner giving up their week has already paid for once in their fees - now you are being charged it again to benefit no one but the developer/management. It doesn't even go to lower the fees of the owners, it is just absorbed by the developer! It is, and shall most likely remain, the most obnoxious fee in timeshare. It would be hard to come up with any that could be worse. Not even Wastegate has equaled the low that this represents (although if they thought they could get away with it I'm sure they would!).

It is surprising only that an otherwise reputable company like DVC was the one to start it. It was the beginning of their slide into money over guest experience which has only gotten worse ever since.

I simply don't care about II and RCI policies. As long as I know what the rules are before I exchange, I can make the decision on whether or not it's for me. If it isn't, I don't exchange.

e.bram

Reaction score
How about Innseason's $400.00 resort transfer fee for a TS that can't even be given away.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Since you mention the transfer fees are not many of the Mayan Resorts 10 % of the original purchase price. If the original sale was $25,000.00 that would be a $ 2,500.00 fee
That aint right.

Happytravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Redwolf Lakeside Lodge Lake Tahoe

I knew about the charge when I made the reservations (year or so in advance .........Something like $7.00 per day, to cover surcharges...........When we actually got there they were way over (something like $70-75.00 for the week) that because they had gone up since the reservations was made. There was no contact through RCI or the resort that the fees had gone up.

When you check in they ask what paper you would like delivered to your condo..we picked the one we wanted...........well, every day we got a different paper....I would imagine it was whatever was left, cause I think we where the last unit to get the delivery...........I don't think I will be making any reservations to CA in the future because I have noticed that most of them do have fees and surcharges for WHATEVER!!! :wall:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
They may not rate as obnoxious, but I have to mention the irritating 9's. Just about every one of HGVC's fees ends in some multiple of $x9 -- $49, $69, $79, $99. Purportedly, they relate to actual costs, but it must be accounting humor. Are they selling gas by the gallon... $2.69-9?

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Consolidated charges $600 to transfer a resort. Think of the money they make on that! They increased from the $550 they charged in 2009. I guess it's their labor costs for entering data into the computer that went up. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transit Occupancy Taxes at some of the newer Worldmark resorts

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Don't Tax You & Don't Tax Me. Tax That Guy Over By The Tree.

Transit Occupancy Taxes at some of the newer Worldmark resorts
Is that particular nuisance tax a WorldMark phenomenon ?

Or is it a symptom of certain specific tax-happy jurisdictions where WorldMark resorts are located ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mandatory AI can be annoying as well. I guess they need all guests to participate keep the places open/profitable.